DTS Error - Could Not Create Instance of DTS Package

Brian Johnson

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
I am getting the following error when using DTS to import tables from Access
into SQL Server 7.0..

Could not create instance of DTS Package

It then kicks me out of Enterprise Manager.

Has anybody experienced this one before.

Thanks,

Brian Johnson
mailto:bri...@gte.net

Darren Green

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
In article <shjm2bt...@corp.supernews.com>, Brian Johnson
<bri...@gte.net> writes
Q. Why do I get the error "Could not create component categories
manager" or "Could not create an instance of the DTS package"?

A. This can happen after you have installed additional software
onto your SQL Server machine and certain DLLs have been overwritten with
a different version.

The main culprit is Comcat.dll (winnt\system32). DTS requires version
4.71, however certain software such as Visual Studio Service Pack 3 will
install version 5.

Replace the version 5 copy Comcat.dll with v4.71 from your SQL Server
CD-ROM.

===

v1.00 2000.04.09

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

Todd Warner

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00

"Darren Green" <darren...@uk.com> wrote in message

> In article <shjm2bt...@corp.supernews.com>, Brian Johnson
> <bri...@gte.net> writes
> Q. Why do I get the error "Could not create component categories
> manager" or "Could not create an instance of the DTS package"?
>
> A. This can happen after you have installed additional software
> onto your SQL Server machine and certain DLLs have been overwritten with
> a different version.
>
> The main culprit is Comcat.dll (winnt\system32). DTS requires version
> 4.71, however certain software such as Visual Studio Service Pack 3 will
> install version 5.
>
> Replace the version 5 copy Comcat.dll with v4.71 from your SQL Server
> CD-ROM.
>
> ===
>
> v1.00 2000.04.09
>
> --
> Darren Green
> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

How do I replace the comcat.dll in Windows 2000? I try to follow
instructions for correcting the DTS Package error I found at Microsoft
Support web page but W2K doesn't let you replace DLLs. I have W2K, Visual
Studio w/SP3 and SQL Client Utilities on my machine.

Thank
Todd

Darren Green

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
In article <ObaEczDv$GA.300@cppssbbsa05>, Todd Warner
<todd....@das.state.oh.us> writes
Todd,

And addendum to this response will now read:

For Windows 2000 you must replace the version of Comcat.dll in your
DLLCache first, followed by that in the system32 directory. Cancel the
warning you receive. Re-register DTSPkg.dll and then refresh the
DLLCache.

Thanks to Umachandar Jayachandran for this bit. I have not tested it but
am assured it does work.