MSSQLServer Service Terminated with error 17058

Tony

Jul 17, 2008, 2:40:02 PM7/17/08
I have a SQL 2005 SP2 cluster. I recently applied some patches to the stand
by node and noticed an error on reboot.

The error in the system log is:

Event ID 7024

The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated with service-specific error
17058 (0x42A2).

There are also errors in the application log. They are:

Event ID 17058

initerrlog: Could not open error log file 'R:\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 3(The system
cannot find the path specified.).

In looking through the log, these have happened on a previous reboot. I
just missed them at the time.

The primary node continued to run fine and when I fail over to the stand by,
it does so successfully and the mssqlserver service starts successfully then.

Is this a problem or is it normal for the node that does not have access to
the shared resource?

Thanks

Denny Cherry

Jul 17, 2008, 2:49:56 PM7/17/08
You'll want to set the SQL Server Service to Manual instead of
Automatic on both servers. The SQL Server Service is started by the
cluster service, not by using the automatic setting on Cluster
servers.

By setting the services to Manual startup this error message will go
away.

Denny

Tony

Jul 17, 2008, 5:02:13 PM7/17/08
Thanks Denny. I set both the mssqlserver service and the agent to manual,
reboote and came up clean. I appreciate the help.

Tony

Denny Cherry

Jul 17, 2008, 5:19:04 PM7/17/08
No problem.

Denny

Linchi Shea

Jul 17, 2008, 8:23:01 PM7/17/08
Wait a minute! Does this mean that the services were not Manual? If not, did
you change them to Automatic previously? I'd be concerned if the services
were not Manual because that's what SQL Server Setup would set them to if the
instance is clustered.

Also, even if the services are Manual, there are times you may see that
error. At least, it happened to me. Typically, on retry, the instance would
come up fine.

Linchi

Med Bouchenafa

Aug 25, 2008, 9:26:01 AM8/25/08
I am facing the same problem on one of my 64 cluster
I am still wondering what makes the status of SQL Service changing from
Manual to Automatic.
This is happening randomly and I am still investigating the culprint in one
of our corporate GPO.

What is strange is this is happening only on one and only one node

Med

gu...@k7computing.com

Jun 20, 2013, 1:02:59 AM6/20/13
Hi All
unable start the sql service in another node when its in clustering . help me to solve.
both services in manual.