SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components

Tom Frost

Jan 9, 2009, 3:14:29 PM1/9/09
I'm receiving the following messsage from a SQL 2008 Client when I attempt to
open a DTS package for editing from a registered SQL 2000 Server . I have
been unable to locate the SQL 2000 DTS Designer Components for SQL 2008, only
for SQL 2005 and they dont appear to work.

TITLE: Object Explorer
------------------------------

SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit DTS packages.
Install the special Web download, "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components"
to use this feature. (Microsoft.SqlServer.DtsObjectExplorerUI)

Russell Fields

Jan 9, 2009, 3:38:05 PM1/9/09
Tom,

The overall instructions for installing the DTS Design components are found
in the Books Online at:

Did you follow these steps all the way through? If so, did you get any
errors in the process. (I have not moved to 2008, so I have not personally
tried this. I do have DTS support installed for 2005.)

Did you also install the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility
Components" found at the link below. These are updated for SQL Server 2008
compatibility:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6C3E9EF-BA29-4A43-8D69-A2BED18FE73C&displaylang=en

RLF

"Tom Frost" <fro...@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Tom Frost

Jan 10, 2009, 6:39:01 AM1/10/09
Thks for the reply...

Did download and apply the backward compatability and dts runtime components
but what i did not see and which i will try today is the last few sections of
the MS doc"install support for DTS Packages" to which was referenced. It
appears to deal with the issue I'm experiencing .

Tom Frost

Jan 10, 2009, 6:59:01 AM1/10/09
Now receiving the following message after moving selected .dll and .rll files
from 80 to version 100 directories per SQL2008 BOL Install Support for DTS
Packages...

"The DTS host failed to save the package properly"

This occurs after I open select a dts package from the gui window and select
it for display within the DTS 2000 DTS Package Designer.

Getting closer...

Tom Frost

Jan 10, 2009, 7:08:01 AM1/10/09
One thing I neglected to mention, the environment is a win server2008 x64
enterprise..

thks

Paul Shapiro

Jan 10, 2009, 8:33:41 AM1/10/09
I seem to remember it taking some effort to get the DTS components working
in SQL 2005 x64 also. And there were some error messages the first time I
edited an existing package. Some of the icons were invisible, but passing
the mouse over them, or clicking to select them, made most of them visible.
After I had saved the packages once, the icons stayed visible and the error
message did not recurr.

The error was "SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer components are required to edit
DTS packages. Install the special web download 'SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer
Components' to use this feature". I said ok to that error and was then able
to edit the package. I
could see the connecting lines, but not the nodes. Sometimes when I just
passed the mouse over a node, or clicked on it, the icon would appear. After
editing and saving the package the first time, it looked, worked and edited
fine after that. This was a very simple package so I could tell what was
where just by guessing.

Here's a post from Mark Han, a SQL engineer, which might help:
"In order to resolve the issue, I would like to explain the following:
A) SQL Server 2008 does not include support for the following DTS features:
1 There is no 64-bit design-time or run-time support for DTS packages.
On a 64-bit computer, DTS packages, and
Integration Services packages that run DTS packages, can run only
in 32-bit mode. To run DTS packages in 32-bit
mode, you have to install and use the 32-bit version of the dtexec
utility (dtexec.exe). To install the 32-bit version of the
dtexec utility, select Client Tools or Business Intelligence
Development Studio during setup.

2 There is also no 32-bit design-time or run-time support for DTS
packages on Itanium-based operating systems.
Therefore, you cannot create, view, modify, or run DTS packages on
Itanium-based operating systems.

B) To install the 32-bit version of the Integration Services runtime and
command prompt utilities on a 64-bit x86 computer
During Setup, select Business Intelligence Development Studio or Management
Tools - Complete. Selecting either of these options installs the 32-bit
version of of the Integration Services runtime, the dtexec utility
(dtexec.exe), and other Integration Services tools. There is an article to
share with you:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143755.aspx

C) How to: Run a Package Using the DTExec Utility, there is an article to
share with you:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms138023(SQL.90).aspx

Besides, I do some addistional research for you: There is an article to
share with you:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162810.aspx

"Tom Frost" <fro...@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Charles Wang [MSFT]

Jan 12, 2009, 4:31:39 AM1/12/09
Hi Frosty,
Though Microsoft SQL Server Backward Compatibility feature installs the DTS
runtime for SQL Server 2008, however it works only on 32-bit platform.
Since your environment is a 64-bit platform, it certainly cannot work. You
can refer to the section "Support for DTS in SQL Server 2008" from the
following article:
Migrating DTS Packages to Integration Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768544.aspx

Currently you may consider installing SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager on
your server and edit your DTS package via SQL Server 2000 EM every time.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your
comments and suggestions about how we can improve the
support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my manager
know what you think of the level of service provided. You can
send feedback directly to my manager at: msd...@microsoft.com.

Russell Fields

Jan 12, 2009, 9:00:52 AM1/12/09
Tom,

As an FYI, my main SQL Server 2005 servers are 64-bit as well and we run the
32-bit DTSRUN.EXE with no problem on those servers. I actually have not
installed the DTS Designer on the servers directly, but install it on client
machines of programmers and administrators who manage the DTS packages.

Having said that, I see that on my 64-bit server installation, the SQL
Server Management Studio 2005, etc. are all x86 programs (32-bit) so the DTS
Designer should work even there.

Regarding running DTS packages, once the legacy components are installed, my
SQL Agent job steps are Operating System steps (not SQL Server Integration
Services steps) and are in the form:

dtsrun /F \\Server\Path\MyPackage.dts /N NameOfPackage

From this you can see that we store the DTS packages in the file system,
rather than in the msdb tables. (This is to allow more than one person to
manage the DTS package.) But it should work fine even with packages stored
in msdb.

Anyway, they run just fine on 2005 and I would expect them to continue to do
so on 2008.