Cannot match printer or port in control file - v 2.06

MEJB

Oct 5, 2004, 12:31:02 PM10/5/04
There is an entry that can be made in the Solomon.ini file that forces
solomon to ask which printer to use and eliminates this message.
I have used it in the past but cannot remember exactly what the entry is.
Anyone out there know??
--
MEJ Bailey
USTI Canada

Bob Krajci [MSFT]

Oct 7, 2004, 12:53:04 PM10/7/04
MEJ, Below are the printer options available from Technical bulletin 2301.
Hope this helps:

Bob Krajci
Software Development
Microsoft Business Solutions - Solomon

Solomon IV Printer settings ([Print Default] section)

Item Explanation: Print Default contains printer information specific to
this workstation for Solomon IV.

[Print Default]
PrinterOrientation=No
WindowsDefaultPrinter=No
Device Name=Generic/Text Only
Driver=TTY
Port=LPT1:
Font=
Font Size=
Font Bold=
Font Italic=
PrintToFile=0
IncludeCodes=No
File=C:\SOL4\*.RPT
ShortIntlDates=ON

PrinterOrientation
PrinterOrientation determines if a report will use the saved report
orientation (No setting) or the current orientation set by the user at
runtime (Yes setting).
DEFAULT: No
VALID ENTRIES: No and Yes
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

WindowsDefaultPrinter
WindowsDefaultPrinter determines if the Solomon IV printer settings is used
(No setting) or the current Windows Default Printer set in Windows Control
Panel (Yes setting).
DEFAULT: No
VALID ENTRIES: No and Yes
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Device Name
Device Name holds the default printer device destination name used when
printing to a printer in ROI. This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter
entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: Windows Printer Default
VALID ENTRIES: Windows print device names on the current workstation
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Driver
Driver holds the default printer driver used when printing to a printer in
ROI. This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: Windows Printer Default
VALID ENTRIES: Windows print driver on the current workstation
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Port
Port holds the default printer port used when printing to a printer in ROI.
This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: Windows Printer Default
VALID ENTRIES: Windows printer port on the current workstation
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Font
Font holds the default printer font used when printing to a printer in ROI.
This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: Report font used
VALID ENTRIES: Windows printer fonts on the current workstation
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Font Size
Font Size holds the default printer font size used when printing to a
printer in ROI. This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to
Yes.
DEFAULT: Report font sizes used
VALID ENTRIES: Windows printer font size on the current workstation
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Font Bold
Font Bold holds the default printer bold font attribute used when printing
to a printer in ROI. This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is
set to Yes.
DEFAULT: Report font attributes used if Font not set, otherwise No
VALID ENTRIES: Yes and No
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

Font Italic
Font Italic holds the default printer italic font attribute used when
printing to a printer in ROI. This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter
entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: Report font attributes used if Font not set, otherwise No
VALID ENTRIES: Yes and No
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

PrintToFile
PrintToFile holds the print to file options. Wildcards can be used in the
trailing porting of the filename (not in the extension). This is ignored if
the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: 0
VALID ENTRIES: 0 = to printer, 1 = to file (create new), 2 = to file
(concatenate)
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time.
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

IncludeCodes
IncludeCodes determines if printer control codes will be included in printer
file output. This is ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to
Yes or the PrintToFile setting is 0.
DEFAULT: Report font attributes used if Font not set, otherwise No
VALID ENTRIES: Yes and No
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

File
File holds the default destination path and file location. Wildcards can be
used in the trailing porting of the filename (not in the extension). This is
ignored if the WindowsDefaultPrinter entry is set to Yes.
DEFAULT: none
VALID ENTRIES: Fully qualified path and file name
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

ShortIntlDates
ShortIntlDates holds the method to do report dates in ROI. If ON then all
dates in a report will be made into Short International Dates at runtime (set
in Control Panel).
DEFAULT: ON
VALID ENTRIES: ON and OFF
CREATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)
READ BY: Printer Options screen (98.220) and ROI (Report Options
Interpreter) at Print time
UPDATED BY: Printer Options screen (98.220)

MEJB

Oct 7, 2004, 1:51:02 PM10/7/04
Thanks!
WindowsDefaultPrinter=No
combined with
Device Name=
forces it to ask for a printer at the time of printing.

Jim in Texas

Apr 18, 2005, 3:01:04 AM4/18/05
I still get this error message on everything I try to print from any Solomon
2.06 "reports menu" and I have even tried completely removing all entries
from the Solomon.ini file. Where is the "cannot match printer/port" coming
from. Note the "heading" on the error text box that I get is "R&R SQL" -
what does this mean?

Thanks, Jim

Stuart Nottingham

Apr 18, 2005, 6:54:48 PM4/18/05
I'm guessing you're using Win2000 or XP, and trying to access a network
printer. If so, the easiest way around this error is to change the line in
the Solomon.ini file that starts "Device= " to read Device=?". This will
cause it to ask for the printer whenever you run a report.

The problem is caused by 2.06 not being able to recognize the long printer
name associated with the network printer.

Stuart Nottingham
"Jim in Texas" <Jimin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jim in Texas

Apr 18, 2005, 8:13:03 PM4/18/05
Yes, I am using Win-XP-Pro and your suggestion did work very well - thank
you. What I still don't understand is that I have been using Solomon 2.06 on
this same computer for more than a year and only this week began to receive
this error message and I receive this error even when I change my Windows
default printer to a "local printer" and even to my Adobe PDF printer?
Something must have changed on my system, but I can't seem to determine what?
I can live with the Device Name=? for now, but it will be a pain to have to
select a printer each time I print a report. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Stuart Nottingham

Apr 19, 2005, 9:36:40 AM4/19/05
Can't guarantee it'll work for you, but try reinstalling the local printer
again, this time keeping the name under 8 characters with no spaces in it.
Set this as your Windows default printer and make sure Solomon's printer
selection is to use the Windows Default Printer.

Stuart Nottingham

"Jim in Texas" <Jimin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jim in Texas

Apr 22, 2005, 12:24:04 AM4/22/05
Thanks for your continued help with this, but your idea below did not work as
I continue to get the message "Cannot match printer or port in control file"
when my printer files names are under 8 characters. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Jim

John Reynolds

Jun 1, 2005, 12:56:08 PM6/1/05
I also get this mesage.

John Reynolds

"Jim in Texas" <Jimin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bob Powers

Jun 7, 2005, 3:51:02 PM6/7/05
can somebody tell me where to find and how to modify the "solomon.ini" file?