sharepoint Protocol handler cannot be found

thomas

Aug 17, 2004, 11:57:48 AM8/17/04
Have anybody solved this problem?

I get the following errors in the Application log, every time we try
to crawl a sire og the sharepoint server.
:
Failed to load protocol handler SPSSearch.MatrixHandler.1. Error

Failed to load protocol handler SPSSearch.STSHandler.1. Error

Failed to load protocol handler SPSSearch.HttpHandler.1. Error

The protocol handler cannot be found. Check that the handler has been
installed. (0x80040d1a)

This is really anoying, and even more because Microsoft seems to
totally ignore the exisistence of the problem.

Regards
thomas

sheeta...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2004, 12:01:33 PM12/20/04
Thomas,

Just wondering if you could share the code for protocol handler. I have
been trying to find some sample code to write protocol handler..I tried
MSDN code but it doesnt seem to work...

Thanks
Sheetal

Hollis D. Paul

Dec 20, 2004, 5:00:06 PM12/20/04
In article <f4f54c04.04081...@posting.google.com>, Thomas
wrote:

> This is really anoying, and even more because Microsoft seems to
> totally ignore the exisistence of the problem.

The nearest I have come to a conclusion about this is a suggestion
that, if FPSE2002 was installed on the machine when the portal was
created, then SPPS search will never work. What I haven't found an
opinion on is if the computer has to be completely wiped and rebuilt,
or that there is a way to correct it, say, by just uninstalling SPS,
WSS, and rebuilding. Just no response at all to that question.

Hollis D. Paul [MVP - Outlook]
Hol...@outhousebythesound.com

Using Virtual Access 4.52 build 277 (32-bit), Windows 2000 build 2600
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?FR=0&SD=TECH&LN=EN-US

Mukilteo, WA USA

Hollis D. Paul

Dec 20, 2004, 11:19:44 PM12/20/04
In article
<VA.00001d6...@obts-outlookdev.outlookbythesound.mukwoods>,
Hollis D. Paul wrote:
> What I haven't found an
> opinion on is if the computer has to be completely wiped and rebuilt,
> or that there is a way to correct it, say, by just uninstalling SPS,
> WSS, and rebuilding. Just no response at all to that question.

From the SPPS Readme file:

Software coexistence issues
Microsoft Visual Studio is supported on a server running SharePoint
Portal Server 2003 if you are using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 or
later. You can use Visual Studio .NET 2002 on a server running
SharePoint Portal Server 2003 by installing the update available from
Microsoft Product Support Services. Search for article 822837 in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com.

Note When installing any version of Visual Studio .NET, you are
prompted to add Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Server Extensions. Do
not add these components on a server with SharePoint Portal Server 2003.
On an existing installation of Visual Studio .NET, ensure that FrontPage
Server Extensions are not present before installing Windows SharePoint
Services or SharePoint Portal Server 2003.

The backward-compatible document library server component of SharePoint
Portal Server 2003 cannot run on servers on which the following are
installed:

Microsoft Exchange Server (any version)
Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions
Note For small, medium, and large server farm deployments, the
component for backward-compatible document libraries and SQL Server 2000
cannot be installed on the same computer.

*********************************

Recommended Windows Server 2003 and Internet Information Services (IIS)
configuration
The following Internet Information Services (IIS) configuration is
required for SharePoint Portal Server 2003. Follow these steps to
configure IIS:

From Control Panel, open the Add or Remove Programs dialog box.
In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click Add/Remove Windows
Components.
In the list of components, select Application Server.
Click Details to see the list of components for Application Server, and
make sure that ASP.NET is selected.
In the list of components, select Internet Information Services (IIS),
and then click Details.
Make sure that FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions is NOT selected.
Make sure that Common Files and Internet Information Services Manager
are selected.
If components for backward-compatible document libraries will be
installed, make sure that SMTP Service is selected.
Click OK.
Click OK.
Click Next to continue your configuration.

From this I infer that all I have to reinstall is WSS and SPS, and then
SP1 of both. We shall see over Christmas.