Error: The application is unable to accept further updates because

Eric

May 14, 2009, 9:27:02 PM5/14/09
I am getting the following error: The application is unable to accept further
updates because the last attempt to persist the state failed. See the event
log for more details.

I attempted to change the service credentials (new account and new password)
using the batch file (pasted at the end of the post - sourced from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/934838).

The responses to the batch file said that everything worked fine but
SharePoint would not come up on the server that I executed the batch file. I
also checked the credentials in the app pools etc if anything was actually
changed. I didn't see anything changed. But SharePoint still did not come
up. I ran the batch file again but with the original credentials and it hung
at the first line. Then I rebooted. After an extraordinarily long reboot
time. SharePoint came up.

I tried setting the content account back to the original credentials (Shared
Services Administration: SharedServicesOCSD > Search Administration > Default
content access account) but now I'm getting the error: The application is
unable to accept further updates because the last attempt to persist the
state failed. See the event log for more details.

I'm afraid my farm is in some kind of limbo and need to get it back in order.

Thanks for your help.

Running MOSS 2007 Enterprise SP1 + Infrastructure Update / Windows Server 2003

[Script]

@echo off
rem other app pools
echo *** Updating app pool passwords
"%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server
extensions\12\BIN\Stsadm.exe" -o updateaccountpassword -userlogin %1
-password %2 -noadmin
rem central admin
echo *** Updating Central Admin password
"%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server
extensions\12\BIN\Stsadm.exe" -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin %1
-password %2
rem ssp - new
echo *** Updating ssp password for new installs
"%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server
extensions\12\BIN\Stsadm.exe" -o editssp -title "SharedServicesOCSD"
-ssplogin %1 -ssppassword %2
rem osearch
echo *** Updating osearch password
"%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server
extensions\12\BIN\Stsadm.exe" -o osearch -farmserviceaccount %1
-farmservicepassword %2
echo *** MANUAL UPDATE NEEDED. To update the password, visit the SSP Web
application page, click Search Settings, and then click Default Content
Access Account.
rem spsearch
echo *** Updating spsearch password
"%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web server
extensions\12\BIN\Stsadm.exe" -o spsearch -farmserviceaccount %1
-farmservicepassword %2
echo *** Updating spsearch content access account
"%commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\web server
extensions\12\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o spsearch -farmcontentaccessaccount %1
-farmcontentaccesspassword %2
rem restarting IIS
echo *** Doing soft restart of IIS
iisreset /noforce
echo on

Lambert Qin [MSFT]

May 15, 2009, 6:29:02 AM5/15/09
Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting.

I checked the source of the batch file, and it was OK to set all the
service accounts with a same dedicated account by using the script.

The batch file worked fine, so the changes should submit to the server.
However, you mentioned the issue was not changed until rebooted the server.
I suppose this was because the cache was not update until rebooted the
server.

Based on the reasons above, the cause of the content access account issue
could be due to the corrupted configuration cache.

Please try to clear the SharePoint configuration caches and verify whether
the issue is resolved.

To Clear SharePoint configuration caches, please follow the steps:
1. Stop Windows SharePoint Services Timer in Services.
1. On the computer that is running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
and on which the Central Administration site is hosted, locate the
configuration cache folder in %allusersprofile%\Application
Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID
In Windows Server 2008, the configuration cache is in the following
location: %allusersprofile%\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID
1. Back up the Cache.ini file.
2. Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder.
3. Edit the Cache.ini file. Change the content to 1, and then click Save
the changes.
4. Start Windows SharePoint Services Timer in Services.

More detailed step is in KB 939308 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939308)

If changing content access account still failed with errors, could you
please attach the error messages in the Event Viewer for further research?

Let me know the result if possible.

Sincerely,
Lambert Qin
Microsoft Online Support

Eric

May 18, 2009, 1:00:04 PM5/18/09
Lambert,

Thanks for your help. I went back on Saturday and tried making the change
again and it took. I'm guessing that the "Administration Application Pool
Credential Deployment job" was still running when I made my initial attempt.

I don't think I modified the batch file appropriately for the central admin
server and the web front end server so things didn't cordinate well.

On Saturday, I made the changes step by step using the command-line and the
verification steps instead of the batch file and it worked.

Lambert Qin [MSFT]

May 18, 2009, 11:37:39 PM5/18/09
Hi Eric,

Glad to hear you have resolved the issue yourself.

Thanks for your reply and the method how you were resolving the issue.
This information will benefit many other users, and we really value having
you as a Microsoft customer.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Lambert Qin
Microsoft Online Support

SAM

May 27, 2009, 6:17:01 PM5/27/09
Hi

I have a five server farm set up with separate index server and Query server
role as a redundant role.
I am also facing the same issue. As i am able to get into search settings
page but when i click on content source and trying to set incremental crawl
time then it's throwing the same error to me.

Any type of help is highly appretiated.

Thanks