Rich Text / Content Editor Script Error

vrtrooper

Jan 10, 2008, 10:17:04 AM1/10/08
Whenever we try to modify a page in a SharePoint site using the "Rich Text
Editor...", we get the following error message:

Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 3632
Char: 3
Error: Object expected
Code: 0

No matter if we click "Yes" or "No" we get the same "Cannot open the Rich
Text Editor." error.

We have SP3 installed for both SharePoint Services 2.0 and Portal Server 03.
We are using both IE 6 & 7 in WinXP. Does anyone have any ideas on how we
can correct this?
According to the Microsoft article 938793, this should be fixed with SP3 for
SharePoint Services.

ghost

Jan 15, 2008, 4:10:04 PM1/15/08
We got the same problem

Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 3632
Char: 3
Error: Object expected
Code: 0

URL:http://oursite/sites/oursite/_layouts/1033/htmledit.aspx

Rob C.

Jan 15, 2008, 4:14:04 PM1/15/08
Same issue here too. Perhaps a patch or update has caused this. Have either
of you (Or anyone else) got any ideas?

Mike Walsh

Jan 16, 2008, 12:14:52 AM1/16/08
I've heard (at third hand, so no details are available to me) that this
is a known error and that MS are working on a fix for it.

So keep your eyes on new KB articles for the next month or so.

(No I don't know what particular upgrade/patch caused it. It seems to be
restricted to clients running Office 2003 (?))

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ www.wssfaq.com / wss.collutions.com
no private e-mail questions please

vrtrooper

Jan 16, 2008, 3:42:00 PM1/16/08
SP3 for Windows SharePoint Services was supposed to fix this
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938793), however, in our case it didn't.

We are using portal server 2003 with sharepoint services 2.0.

Rob C.

Jan 16, 2008, 5:13:01 PM1/16/08
In our case we are using a portal solution in a farm configuration. All
servers fully patched both in SharePoint patches and the Windows patches,
connected to a SQL 2000 Farm.
I have tried machines with office 2003 and 2007, both have the same results.
Also trying to get it to work on the server, that does not have office creats
the same error.

Perhaps I need to open a case with our HP support contract folks...... Let
the fun begin.

Cheers.

4fun4fun...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2008, 7:14:05 AM3/6/08
On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, Rob C. <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> In our case we are using a portal solution in a farm configuration. All
> servers fully patched both in SharePoint patches and the Windows patches,
> connected to a SQL 2000 Farm.
> I have tried machines with office 2003 and 2007, both have the same results.
> Also trying to get it to work on the server, that does not have office creats
> the same error.
>
> Perhaps I need to open a case with our HP support contract folks...... Let
> the fun begin.
>
> Cheers.
>

> "vrtrooper" wrote:
> > SP3 for Windows SharePoint Services was supposed to fix this
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938793), however, in our case it didn't.
>
> > We are using portal server 2003 with sharepoint services 2.0.
>
> > "Mike Walsh" wrote:
>
> > > I've heard (at third hand, so no details are available to me) that this
> > > is a known error and that MS are working on a fix for it.
>
> > > So keep your eyes on new KB articles for the next month or so.
>
> > > (No I don't know what particular upgrade/patch caused it. It seems to be
> > > restricted to clients running Office 2003 (?))
>
> > > Mike Walsh
> > > WSS FAQwww.wssfaq.com/ wss.collutions.com

Any solution?

RobM

Mar 6, 2008, 11:48:00 AM3/6/08
The only solution I've seen is to install both patches WSS SP1 and MOSS SP1.
All posters on other boards say this has resolved the issue.

RobM

"4fun4fun...@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, Rob C. <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > In our case we are using a portal solution in a farm configuration. All
> > servers fully patched both in SharePoint patches and the Windows patches,
> > connected to a SQL 2000 Farm.
> > I have tried machines with office 2003 and 2007, both have the same results.
> > Also trying to get it to work on the server, that does not have office creats
> > the same error.
> >
> > Perhaps I need to open a case with our HP support contract folks...... Let
> > the fun begin.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> > "vrtrooper" wrote:
> > > SP3 for Windows SharePoint Services was supposed to fix this

> > > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938793), however, in our case it didn't..

ShaykeN

Mar 13, 2008, 5:09:38 PM3/13/08
On Mar 6, 1:48 pm, RobM <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The only solution I've seen is to install both patches WSS SP1 and MOSS SP1.
> All posters on other boards say this has resolved the issue.
>
> RobM
>

> "4fun4fun4fun4...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, Rob C. <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > In our case we are using a portal solution in a farm configuration. All
> > > servers fully patched both in SharePoint patches and the Windows patches,
> > > connected to a SQL 2000 Farm.
> > > I have tried machines with office 2003 and 2007, both have the same results.
> > > Also trying to get it to work on the server, that does not have office creats
> > > the sameerror.
>
> > > Perhaps I need to open a case with our HP support contract folks...... Let
> > > the fun begin.
>
> > > Cheers.

> > Any solution?- Hide quotedtext-

Make a downgrade?

Sultan

Apr 22, 2008, 12:20:00 PM4/22/08
This from the horses mouth and it worked for me:
Edit the file
c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server
extensions\60\template\layouts\1033\ows.js

Towards the end of the document, before the comments add these lines (case
sensitive!)

function RenderActiveX(str)
{
document.write(str);
}

Save the changes and do iisreset. Now clear temporary files in your browser
and enjoy!

mari...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2008, 1:34:46 PM4/29/08
I had added that code and it worked great for me. Thank you!!!!

Kaz

Aug 29, 2008, 4:09:00 PM8/29/08
Actually, just clearing temporary internet files corrected this problem for
me on a IE6 user. No need to edit the ows.js file.

SB Webmaster

Oct 17, 2008, 11:50:19 AM10/17/08
Sultan,

Brilliant! It worked exactly as stated.