Failed to register SharePoint Services 2007

PP

Sep 12, 2006, 11:15:26 AM9/12/06

I am trying to install SharePoint Server 2007.
I have been able to create the database for SharePoint Server 2007 by going
through step 2

I failed on step 3.

So I have retried the installation and it failed on step 4 (registering
SharePoint Services).
Here are the logs:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard
Event Category: None
Event ID: 104
Date: 12/09/2006
Time: 16:38:56
User: N/A
Computer: SharePointServer
Failed to register SharePoint services.
An exception of type System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException was thrown.
Additional exception information: Exception has been thrown by the target of
an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
the target of an invocation. ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Access
denied.
at
Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Administration.ExemptUserAgentCollection.AddInternal(String
partialExemptUserAgent, InCaseOfExistence inCaseOfExistence)
at
Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Administration.ExemptUserAgentCollection.PopulateDefaultValues()
at
Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Administration.FormsService..ctor(String
serviceName, SPFarm farm)
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args,
SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args,
SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Reflection.ConstructorInfo.Invoke(Object[] parameters)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ReflectionHelper.InvokeConstructor(String
assemblyQualifiedName, Type[] constructorSignature, Object[]
constructorParameters)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskCommon.ReflectionHelperInvokeConstructor(String
assemblyQualifiedName, Type[] constructorSignature, Object[]
constructorParameters, TaskBase task)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InvokeServiceConstructor(String
serviceRegistryKeyName, String solutionIdRegistryName, String
serviceNameRegistryName, Type[] constructorSignature, Object[]
constructorParameters)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInConfigDB(Boolean
provisionTheServiceToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean
provisionTheServicesToo)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

I do not know what I have to do and why it is blocking.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Engelbert

Sep 13, 2006, 1:18:28 AM9/13/06
How much memory do you have?

Anything less than 1GB (assigned to that VM if its a VM) and the
configuration wizard stops working at various different places.

(I've added memory and seen it go much further but still finally give an
error).

Recommended memory for MOSS 2007 is I think something like 1.5GB ...

Engelbert

"PP" <pp...@SPAMogone.com> wrote in message

PP

Sep 13, 2006, 7:48:51 AM9/13/06
Hello

I have tried to increase the memory but the problem remains.
I think the best to do is to explain exactly what I did from the beginning:

- Server 1: VMWARE with Windows 2003 R2 updated + MS.NET 2.2 beta +
Framework foundation (as specified in the prerequise)
Sharepoint Server 2007 Beta 2.0
- Server 2: VMWARE with Windows 2003 R2 updated + SQL 2005

user: sharepointuser with: - Local admin rights on both servers
- domain user
- SQL rights: Sysadmin, Securityadmin,
DatabaseCreator

When I ran the configuration databse for the first time I had a failure when
creating database (step 2/9) with error message: Exception:
Configuration failed
System.ArgumentException: Exception of type
'System.ArgumentException' was thrown
I don't know what this message means. I didn't change anything.

I ran the configuration wizard a second time but again I had a configuration
failure (step 2/9) with the following error message:
Configuration failed
Exception:
System.Security.AccessControl.PrivilegeNotHeldException: The process does
not possess the 'SeSecurityPrivilege' privilege which is required for this
operation.
So I used the ntrights to get that privilege on my sharepoint user.

I ran the configuration wizard a third time but again I had a configuration
failure (step 2/9) with the following error message:
Configuration failed
Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference
not set to an instance of an object.
So I configured ODBC (we are not using default port for SQL database) and
"cliconfg" ( I have also desactivated named pipe and use only TCP/IP)

Notice that apparently sharepoint try to create a user on the SQL server
(domain name\server1name$). At the beginning I had a login failure on the
SQL server with that user because it didn't exist apparently so I created it
maually. Is that correct?

I ran the configuration wizard a fourth time but again I had a configuration
failure (step 3/8) with the following error message:
Failed to register sharepoint services
Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. --->
System.Security.SecurityException: Access denied.

The strange thing is if I delete de Database to restart the configuration
from the beginning I have to go through all those error messages again even
if I have already done the ntrights, the ODBC,...
I don't know what this access denied refers to...

I also restart from scratch on a clean VMWARE without success.

I hope this is clear enough and that someone will be able to help me with
this issue.

thank you

"Engelbert" <Enge...@discussions.nospam.com> wrote in message

Engelbert

Sep 13, 2006, 7:57:29 AM9/13/06
If you want a new attempt with a better chance of success, create a new VM
with SQL Server 2K and use that instead of SQL Server 2005.

Earlier beta (pre Beta 2) testers were asked to use SQL Server 2K so that
installation ought to be smoother.

Another idea is just to wait a few days when Beta2 TR is supposed to be out
and that might well include a method for installing MOSS 2007 Beta 2TR
without the need to install MOSS 2007 Beta 2 first.

Engelbert

"PP" <pp...@SPAMogone.com> wrote in message

PP

Sep 13, 2006, 10:26:14 AM9/13/06
This is also something I have tried. Without success.

Thx anyway.

"Engelbert" <Enge...@discussions.nospam.com> wrote in message

E. Shupps

Sep 28, 2006, 2:12:04 PM9/28/06
I had this same problem and resolved it by logging into the virtual
machine using the same account that I specified as the database
adminstrator. Previously, I was logged in as the machine admin but I
had specified the 'SPSAdmin' account as the db admin during MOSS
installation. When I logged out and logged back in as SPSAdmin, all
went well.

Arunda M

Sep 15, 2010, 10:59:43 PM9/15/10
Yep, I agree logging into the machine with the account worked.

However in my situation I was installing Sharepoint on one domain and the SQL was in another domain. Kept getting cross domain security issues.

Found a way to bypass this by creating 2 identical local accounts on the SQL and the Sharepoint servers. I may encounter problems later from doing this, but the Sharepoint installation succeeded with this approach.