Synchronizing SharePoints using Robocopy

Malkowiak.work

Sep 9, 2008, 12:51:02 PM9/9/08

We are migrating from the legacy web servers to the SharePoint infrastructure.
We used to have 3 tired release process: development, integration and
production web sites.
We developed a set of tools to helps us automate the move from one to the
other using Robocopy as base tool.
We liked the security that we had with that solution.

We replicated the 3 tired sites, but then came the synchronization issue.

We are facing the following Robocopy problems:
- the /XF and /XD exclusion are generating errors, I had to remove them.
Here is the error:

8
\\xxxxxxx\content_rep\corp\gwh_static_wh\sce\Content-Replication-folder\application-code-folder\SCE\Release\sdg\riss_rim\2008/09/09
17:57:36 ERROR 18 (0x00000012) Scanning Destination Directory
\\destination.sharepoint.hp.com\teams\XXXXXX\SDG\riss_rim\There are no more
files.

- the synchro between a NT Share to a SharePoint is copying all the files,
rather than copying only the newly created/modified one
- the first synchro of directory works well, but the second is generating
error on the _vti_cnf:

2008/09/09 17:32:54 ERROR 31 (0x0000001F) Creating Destination Directory
\\destination.sharepoint.hp.com\teams\XXXXXX\SDG\fmatest\navigation\_vti_cnf\
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Does any body have the same issues?
Did you fix it? If yes How?

If not then as Robocopy is now part of Vista, is there a wait to log a call
to Microsoft to let them know that there are issues between 2 of their
products, Robocopy and SharePoint??

Any help is welcome
Eric

Jen

Sep 15, 2009, 2:56:37 PM9/15/09
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Posted as a reply to:

Synchronizing SharePoints using Robocopy

WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx

Daniel A. Galant

Sep 15, 2009, 6:59:20 PM9/15/09
This is not how this type of process is addressed in SharePoint. SharePoint
actually has, built in processes to do what you are trying to do. It's
called Content deployment. You can configure content deployment paths and
jobs within Central Administration of your SharePoint farm. Robocopy is not
the answer.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.