RSS feed forbidden

Tina Shields

Nov 12, 2008, 11:06:01 AM11/12/08
I have had three RSS feeds working perfectly for the past year. A month or
so ago, I was greeted with the following error:

ProtocolError occured trying to complete the request. The server returned a
status code of : Forbidden and the status description is : "Forbidden"

The feeds work fine from my browser, so the problem is not with the RSS
provider. I have hard-coded the IP address and port of the proxy server into
the web.config file for the server itself and for the particular SharePoint
site.

Anyone else see this error?

Regards,

Tina

John Timney (MVP)

Nov 17, 2008, 6:06:47 PM11/17/08
Protocol erros are quite common, they usually relate to having not set you
proxy in web.config, given you have done this clearly something has changed
and its likely to be at the server you are consuming from, or at your
internet gateway.

Forbidden and the status description is : "Forbidden" implies a common 403
protocol error - basically the MOSS account or IP has been blocked, or the
access protocols on the remote server have changed. If I was debugging this
I'd start by dropping an emal to the remote server admin asking if they can
assist, or talking to your network team and getting them to do some traffic
analyis.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

"Tina Shields" <TinaS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tina

Nov 18, 2008, 9:45:01 AM11/18/08
John,

Thanks for the ideas. I did have my network team take a look. They
monitored the proxy that was hard-coded into the web.config, but saw no
traffic coming from the SharePoint server. I deleted and recreated the web
part, with the same results. I am stumped on this one.

Tina

KateRK

Nov 18, 2008, 2:08:01 PM11/18/08
Try setting up a Page Viewer web part that pulls a page from the Internet. If
it loads, your network team should see that. Aslo, check to see the site you
want to pull is not blocked by any anti-spam or other site blocking software
loaded on the server.

Tina

Nov 18, 2008, 3:24:11 PM11/18/08
Kate,

All three pages work fine as a Page Viewer web part, but not as a RSS Feed
web part. Something within SharePoint, or IE perhaps, is stopping the feed.

Thanks,

Tina

Talbot@discussions.microsoft.com Andy Talbot

Nov 30, 2008, 1:34:00 PM11/30/08
Hi Guys,

I had the same problem, 'Forbidden and the status description is :
"Forbidden"' was displayed each time I tried to retrieve external RSS feeds.

ISA server was not recording any failed attempts. The solution was to add an
ISA rule to allow anonymous outbound traffic from the WFE, assuming you've
added the proxy to your web.config:

<defaultProxy>
<proxy usesystemdefault = "false" proxyaddress="http://<your proxy
address>" bypassonlocal="true" />
</defaultProxy>

See if your network admin will allow you to try the above fix and let me
know how you get on.

Many Thanks,
Andy Talbot

http://www.SharePointAndy.com/
http://www.andytalbot.com/

chetansehgal

Jan 20, 2009, 7:13:35 AM1/20/09
i get the same problem of protocl error with external feeds.
I dont have any particular website as of now, i just pick any website with RSS feeds to test my sharepoint site.

I do have a proxy & firewall installed.
can you tell me exactly which web.config file to edit to enable that, like location & what to write?

Also, i read about updates to sharepoint server 2007, which enables us to set the proxy settings..will that help? i din download as of now!

Thank you!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng

Talbot@discussions.microsoft.com Andy Talbot

Jan 20, 2009, 7:44:00 AM1/20/09
Hi Chetan,

1. Backup your web.config

2. Open up the web.config file

3. Look for the xml node <system.net>

4. There should be a <defaultProxy> xml node inside <system.net>. If you
don't, create that.

5. There should be a <proxy> xml node inside <defaultProxy>. If you don't,
create that.

6. If you have a autoDetect="True" attribute, remove that.

7. Add the following attributes to the <proxy> xml node.

proxyaddress="http://proxy.company.com:8080"
bypassonlocal="true"

.................so your web.config should now have something looking like
this:

<system.net>

<defaultProxy>
<proxy usesystemdefault = "false"

proxyaddress="http://proxy.company.com:8080" bypassonlocal="true" />
</defaultProxy>

</system.net>

8. Save the web.config.

9. Perform an IISReset.

10. Test!

Please note that you cannot have authenticated RSS feeds unless you enable
Kerberos. If you are using ISA then you may also need to add an ISA rule to
allow anonymous outbound traffic from your WFE.

Hope this helps?

Many thanks,
Andy Talbot

www.SharePointAndy.com

belp

May 24, 2010, 7:02:13 AM5/24/10
Hi Andy,

I had our server and security follow all these tips. In the end we could all see the external RSS feed as we should, and it updated perfectly... thank you.

However, our developer (who has the same level of admin access as me) gets the error and does not see the feed, we switched computers to see if it was local to her PC and it seems that it is. The problem is I guess if other developers get the same issue.

Do you have any idea what the issue would be? It is pretty random really :(

Bel

Andy Talbo wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.
20-Jan-09

Hi Chetan,

1. Backup your web.config

<system.net>

</system.net>

8. Save the web.config.

9. Perform an IISReset.

10. Test!

Hope this helps?

Many thanks,
Andy Talbot

www.SharePointAndy.com

"Chetan Sehgal" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:06 AM
TinaShield wrote:

RSS feed forbidden

I have had three RSS feeds working perfectly for the past year. A month or
so ago, I was greeted with the following error:

ProtocolError occured trying to complete the request. The server returned a
status code of : Forbidden and the status description is : "Forbidden"

The feeds work fine from my browser, so the problem is not with the RSS
provider. I have hard-coded the IP address and port of the proxy server into
the web.config file for the server itself and for the particular SharePoint
site.

Anyone else see this error?

Regards,

Tina

On Monday, November 17, 2008 6:06 PM

John Timney \(MVP\) wrote:

Protocol erros are quite common, they usually relate to having not set you
Protocol erros are quite common, they usually relate to having not set you
proxy in web.config, given you have done this clearly something has changed
and its likely to be at the server you are consuming from, or at your
internet gateway.

Forbidden and the status description is : "Forbidden" implies a common 403
protocol error - basically the MOSS account or IP has been blocked, or the
access protocols on the remote server have changed. If I was debugging this
I'd start by dropping an emal to the remote server admin asking if they can
assist, or talking to your network team and getting them to do some traffic
analyis.

Regards

"Tina Shields" <TinaS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:45 AM
Tin wrote:

John,Thanks for the ideas. I did have my network team take a look.
John,

Thanks for the ideas. I did have my network team take a look. They
monitored the proxy that was hard-coded into the web.config, but saw no
traffic coming from the SharePoint server. I deleted and recreated the web
part, with the same results. I am stumped on this one.

Tina

"John Timney (MVP)" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:08 PM
KateR wrote:

Try setting up a Page Viewer web part that pulls a page from the Internet.
Try setting up a Page Viewer web part that pulls a page from the Internet. If
it loads, your network team should see that. Aslo, check to see the site you
want to pull is not blocked by any anti-spam or other site blocking software
loaded on the server.

"Tina" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:24 PM
Tin wrote:

Kate,All three pages work fine as a Page Viewer web part, but not as a RSS
Kate,

All three pages work fine as a Page Viewer web part, but not as a RSS Feed
web part. Something within SharePoint, or IE perhaps, is stopping the feed.

Thanks,

Tina

"KateRK" wrote:

On Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:34 PM
Andy Talbo wrote:

Re: RSS feed forbidden
Hi Guys,

I had the same problem, 'Forbidden and the status description is :
"Forbidden"' was displayed each time I tried to retrieve external RSS feeds.

ISA server was not recording any failed attempts. The solution was to add an
ISA rule to allow anonymous outbound traffic from the WFE, assuming you've
added the proxy to your web.config:

<defaultProxy>

<proxy usesystemdefault = "false" proxyaddress="http://<your proxy
address>" bypassonlocal="true" />
</defaultProxy>

See if your network admin will allow you to try the above fix and let me
know how you get on.

Many Thanks,
Andy Talbot

http://www.SharePointAndy.com/
http://www.andytalbot.com/

"Tina" wrote:

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:13 AM
Chetan Sehgal wrote:

protocol error with sharepoint

Hi,
i get the same problem of protocl error with external feeds.
I dont have any particular website as of now, i just pick any website with RSS feeds to test my sharepoint site.

I do have a proxy & firewall installed.
can you tell me exactly which web.config file to edit to enable that, like location & what to write?

Also, i read about updates to sharepoint server 2007, which enables us to set the proxy settings..will that help? i din download as of now!

Thank you!

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:44 AM
Andy Talbo wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.
Hi Chetan,

1. Backup your web.config

<system.net>

</system.net>

8. Save the web.config.

9. Perform an IISReset.

10. Test!

Hope this helps?

Many thanks,
Andy Talbot

www.SharePointAndy.com

"Chetan Sehgal" wrote:

On Monday, May 24, 2010 6:59 AM
Bel P wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.
Hi Andy,

I had our server and security follow all these tips. In the end we could all see the external RSS feed as we should, and it updated perfectly etc.

However, our developer (who has the same level of admin access as me) gets the error and does not see the feed, we switched computers to see if it was local to her PC and it seems that it is. The issue is I guess if other developers get the same issue.

Do you have any idea what the issue would be? It is pretty random really :(

Bel

WPF Binding Beyond the Limitation of Name Scopes
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ef583104-e507-491d-b05f-49faac8854c8/wpf-binding-beyond-the-li.aspx

belp

May 24, 2010, 7:02:14 AM5/24/10

Andy Talbo wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.
20-Jan-09

Hi Chetan,

1. Backup your web.config

<system.net>

</system.net>

8. Save the web.config.

9. Perform an IISReset.

10. Test!

Hope this helps?

Many thanks,
Andy Talbot

www.SharePointAndy.com

"Chetan Sehgal" wrote:

Regards,

Tina

Regards

Tina

"John Timney (MVP)" wrote:

"Tina" wrote:

Thanks,

Tina

Andy Talbo wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.

Hi Chetan,

1. Backup your web.config

<system.net>

</system.net>

8. Save the web.config.

9. Perform an IISReset.

10. Test!

Hope this helps?

Many thanks,
Andy Talbot

www.SharePointAndy.com

"Chetan Sehgal" wrote:

On Monday, May 24, 2010 6:59 AM
Bel P wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.
Hi Andy,

I had our server and security follow all these tips. In the end we could all see the external RSS feed as we should, and it updated perfectly etc.

However, our developer (who has the same level of admin access as me) gets the error and does not see the feed, we switched computers to see if it was local to her PC and it seems that it is. The issue is I guess if other developers get the same issue.

Do you have any idea what the issue would be? It is pretty random really :(

Bel

On Monday, May 24, 2010 7:02 AM
Bel P wrote:

Hi Chetan,1. Backup your web.config2. Open up the web.config file3.
Hi Andy,

I had our server and security follow all these tips. In the end we could all see the external RSS feed as we should, and it updated perfectly... thank you.

However, our developer (who has the same level of admin access as me) gets the error and does not see the feed, we switched computers to see if it was local to her PC and it seems that it is. The problem is I guess if other developers get the same issue.

Do you have any idea what the issue would be? It is pretty random really :(

Bel

Server Side Processing in ADO.NET/WCF Data Services
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/db179aed-47fa-4f86-a4bf-4f6f92a76585/server-side-processing-in.aspx

belp

May 24, 2010, 6:59:32 AM5/24/10

Andy Talbo wrote:

[...]

"Chetan Sehgal" wrote:

Regards,

Tina

Regards

Tina

"John Timney (MVP)" wrote:

"Tina" wrote:

Thanks,

Tina

Andy Talbo wrote:

[...]

belp

May 24, 2010, 7:04:14 AM5/24/10
Hi Andy,

I had our server and security guys follow all these tips. In the end we could all see the external RSS feed as we should, and it updated perfectly etc.

Andy Talbo wrote:

[...]

"Chetan Sehgal" wrote:

Regards,

Tina

[...]