Security Updates

Urizen

Feb 16, 2008, 3:02:01 AM2/16/08
Hello!

When I run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser 2.0.1 in a computer with
Microsoft Windows XP SP2, I receive the following error message:

Security Updates: Error installing the Microsoft Update Subscriber on the
target computer. (0x000036b7)

In the past, this error never appeared. However, meanwhile I changed the
location of the MSOCache folder which contains the Microsoft Office 2003
Setup files to a different Hard Disk partition and I am not sure if it is
working properly. Can it be the source of the issue or is it related to other
question? What should I do to solve this issue?

Thank you very much in advance for all the attention given.

Kind regards,
Rui Nunes

Doug Neal [MSFT]

Feb 18, 2008, 8:47:52 PM2/18/08
Thank you for sending this our way.

This is not a problem with the MSOCache folder, but rather MBSA
prerequisites and/or the inability to successfully install the MUAUTH.CAB
file necessary to authorize the target WUA client to talk to MBSA.

The problem seems to be a failure of the MBSA 2.0 scanning machine to push
(and execute) a file called MUAUTH.CAB on the target machine which
authorizes the WUA client on the target machine to respond to requests from
the scanning MBSA 2.0 machine. See the MBSA 2.0 FAQ
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/qa.mspx) under the
section titled "MBSA uses files that it downloads from the Internet, but the
computer I want to use to scan my network doesn't have Internet access. How
can I use MBSA in this case?" even if you're not in an offline mode.

Check for an MUAUTH.CAB file on the target machine (which is an indication
that the file was placed on the target machine, but was never executed). If
there's no MUAUTH.CAB file on the target machine, you can download it from
the MBSA 2.0 FAQ under the item mentioned above, expedn it and run it on the
target machine. If this still does not solve the problem, there are MBSA
2.0 System Requirements that still aren't being met (meaning, some required
services and/or expections to the firewall aren't present). See the MBSA
2.0 Help file provided with each MBSA 2.0 installation to ensure all system
requirements are met.

I hope that helps...

Doug Neal [MSFT]
du...@online.microsoft.com

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for support on the Microsoft
Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA). Information is available at the following
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.
"Urizen" <Uri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Urizen

Feb 20, 2008, 2:36:04 AM2/20/08
Hi Doug Neal!

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciated your explanation.
In fact, there were only two file in the \Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\MBSA\2.0\Cache folder: wsusscn2.cab and wsusscn2.cab.dat. I
updated manually the wsusscn2.cab file and copied the other two from the
Microsoft Website: MUAuth.cab and WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe. Then, I
installed manually the Microsoft Update Agent with the file
WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe. Was it really needed to copy and install this
file or is it meaningless? After that, I run Microsoft Baseline Security
Analyser 2.0.1 but the same error occurs.

In the mean time I have checked at another computer how it behaves and I
verified that the MBSA 2.0.1 is working properly and it also only owns two
files in the \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\MBSA\2.0\Cache
folder: wsusscn2.cab and wsusscn2.cab.dat.

The Firewall in both computers is from Microsoft Windows and is doesn't seem
to me that the Firewall is causing any blocking even though the wsusscn2.cab
file wasn't updated for the time that I had run MBSA 2.0.1 in the past.

Please, what else can I do to try to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Cheers,
Rui Nunes