Exception C0000005 Errors in Scripting Engine

OsvaldoM0lina

Oct 3, 2001, 6:22:42 PM10/3/01
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Active Server Pages
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5
Date: 10/3/2001
Time: 8:14:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXX
Error: Script Engine Exception. A ScriptEngine threw expection 'C0000005' in
'IActiveScript::SetScriptState()' from
'CActiveScriptEngine::ResetToUninitialized()'..
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft
Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Once this happens on our server the entire
script engine fails... we have to reboot then after a day or two this error
comes back.

Mike Whalen (MS)

Oct 3, 2001, 9:13:18 PM10/3/01

C0000005 is an Access Violation. Can you send me any information on how to
repro the bug?

Mike Whalen
Windows Script Dev

"OsvaldoM0lina" <osvald...@aol.com> wrote in message

Richard

Oct 4, 2001, 7:10:08 AM10/4/01
Mike,

I had a very similar problem a while ago, in pages that had previously been
working fine, and has been working fine ever since. Fortunately, the site
was out of process, so IIS5 recovered after a few minutes. I never found out
what caused it, and it only happened once, so I don't know how to reproduce
it. There were a sequence of related error messages, which I've included
below. (NB: The "script cannot continue running" errors occurred in
different pages, including our custom 500-100 error page.)

I would be grateful if you could let me know if a cause / solution is found.
If you need more information, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Richard Deeming, B.Sc.
Software Development Manager
Trinet Ltd
Tel: +44 (0)1273 231123
Fax: +44 (0)1273 231133
Web: http://www.trinet.co.uk

Errors:

Date: 24/09/2001
Time: 09:24:44 AM
Source: Active Server Pages
Type: Error

Category: None
Event ID: 5

User: N/A
Computer: XXXX
Error: File /XXXX.asp Unexpected error. A trappable error (C0000005)
occurred in an external object. The script cannot continue running..

Date: 24/09/2001
Time: 09:24:54 AM
Source: Active Server Pages
Type: Error

Category: None
Event ID: 5

User: N/A
Computer: XXXX

Date: 24/09/2001
Time: 09:24:54 AM
Source: Active Server Pages
Type: Error

Category: None
Event ID: 5

User: N/A
Computer: XXXX

Error: Script Engine Exception. A ScriptEngine threw expection 'C0000005'

in 'IActiveScript::Close()' from 'CActiveScriptEngine::FinalRelease()'..

Date: 24/09/2001
Time: 09:28:09 AM
Source: Active Server Pages
Type: Error

Category: None
Event ID: 5

User: N/A
Computer: XXXX

Date: 24/09/2001
Time: 09:36:00 AM
Source: COM+
Type: Error
Category: SVC
Event ID: 4194
User: N/A
Computer: XXXX
The system has called a custom component and that component has failed and
generated an exception. This indicates a problem with the custom component.
Notify the developer of this component that a failure has occurred and
provide them with the information below.
Component Prog ID:
Server Application ID: {FA6CEFC1-E20A-4E52-93C8-54DB38DCD399}
Server Application Name: IIS-{XXXX//Root}
The serious nature of this error has caused the process to terminate.
Exception: C0000005
Address: 0x77FCA8AC
Call Stack:
ntdll!RtlFreeHeap + 0x377
ntdll!RtlFreeHeap + 0x100
ole32!IsValidIid + 0x1F
OLEAUT32!SysFreeString + 0x31
+ 0xBA6847AF

"Mike Whalen (MS)" <mwh...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

William Fields

Oct 4, 2001, 12:24:36 PM10/4/01

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I'm glad to see that it's not
just VFP with C5 errors....

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

"The only glory most of us have to
hope for is the glory of being normal."

- Katherine Fullerton Gerould

Mike Whalen (MS)

Oct 4, 2001, 2:12:23 PM10/4/01

Those error messages mean that some external object that your script was
using threw an AV exception. When that happens, there isn't anything that
the script engine can do but shut down. The error messages you received are
about as graceful an exit we can provide - an AV usually means some kind of
corruption has occurred, and to continue to execute is even more dangerous
than shutting down the process.

If you own the control that threw the exception, you'll need to come up with
a way to reproduce the problem and try to debug it. Visual Studio can be set
to break on all exceptions - make sure it's set to catch AVs in particular.
Then, debug it and find out why your control is going out of bounds and
handle it. You can add exception handling, as well, to make sure the errors
get reported properly.

If you don't own the control that threw the exception, try to come up with
as small a repro scenario as possible and contact the owner of the control.
They'll need to debug it themselves and hopefully they can provide you with
something that doesn't AV.

Sorry I can't help more - the error messages you're seeing indicate to me
that script is merely reporting someone else's bugs back to you.

Mike Whalen
Windows Script Dev

"Richard" <ric...@trinet.co.uk> wrote in message