Startup script "Loading failed (Access Denied)"

mary...@yahoo.com

Nov 14, 2005, 12:35:07 PM11/14/05
I have a script that installs a couple of printers for any user that
logs into the computer (it's used by a number of people and I don't
want each of them to have to install the printers). I put it in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. It's
worked on other machines but now it's giving the following message:

Windows script host Loading script "c:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\printer2.vbs" failed (Access Denied)

The printers are network printers and do not require admin access to
install. I have Windows XP sp2 (hmm, would that be the culprit); also
Symantec AntiVirus version 9.0.2.100.

I'll be happy to post the script if that would be helpful.

Michael Reese

Nov 14, 2005, 11:56:52 PM11/14/05
Sounds like a file permissions. What if you try this.

Put the vbs file into a directory where authenticated users have modify
permissions for example "C:\scripts\mapprinter\printer2.vbs".
Create a text file with a single line pointing to it and give it a .cmd
or bat extension. Put that command or batch file in the startup
directory.

Then when you get an error, the file that gives the error may be the
vbs, or the cmd. Either way you should have more information.

Michael Reese
Sproik.com

mary...@yahoo.com

Nov 15, 2005, 10:56:13 AM11/15/05
Tried that (good idea, btw!), and now I get no error, but no printers
installed either. When I run the bat file manually nothing happens.
When I run the vbs file manually (in the new Scripts folder with user
modify rights) I get the same "access denied" error. It works when
logged on as an administrator.

Nothing informative in the Event Viewer. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

mary...@yahoo.com

Nov 15, 2005, 1:01:36 PM11/15/05
I got it: leave the printer.vbs script in the Startup folder, but make
sure that user rights are set to Modify for Domain Users. I had just
added local users. This seems to solve the problem.

Thanks!