Help: Remote Scripting Error: Page invoked does not support Remote Scripting

Randy Peterson

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
I need help with a Page Object and have found nothing in newsgroups that
helps!

I can get remote scripting to work fine, returning strings from a server ASP
page to the browser client asp page, but it fails when the server page tries
to connect to a database. The failure occurs when the server page tries to
connect (to SQL) using ADO with either Recordset, Command, or Connection.
On normal ASP pages I have no problems accessing a database. The error
that pops up is:

Remote Scripting Error: Page invoked does not support Remote Scripting

I have Visual Interdev 6. I have tried loading VI service pack 3, but that
didn't help. Can you?

Here is the code from the CLIENT

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
<!--#include file="_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp"-->
<% if StartPageProcessing() Then Response.End() %>
<FORM name=thisForm METHOD=post>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<SCRIPT ID=clientEventHandlersJS LANGUAGE=javascript>
<!--
function btnSaveData_onclick() {
retObj = SaveFormData.execute.SaveData(3);
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

<P><INPUT type="button" value="Save data" name=btnSaveData
LANGUAGE=javascript onclick="return btnSaveData_onclick()">
<P>&nbsp;</P>

<Comment> The page object went here, but I took it out for brevity in this
newsgroup post </Comment>

</BODY>
<% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
<% EndPageProcessing() %>
</FORM>
</HTML>
-------------
Here's the code from the SERVER

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
<!--#include file="_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp"-->
<% if StartPageProcessing() Then Response.End() %>
<FORM name=thisForm METHOD=post>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<Comment> The page object went here, but I took it out for brevity in this
newsgroup post </Comment>

<%
Function SaveData(selBranch)
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.Open Application ("conPCQ_ConnectionString")
set RSClient = conn.Execute("SELECT * from Client")
' ERROR HAPPENS on above line.
End Function
%>

<P>&nbsp;</P>
</BODY>
<% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
<% EndPageProcessing() %>
</FORM>
</HTML>

Angie Benson

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
I got this to work but I got the same terrible error message when I tried to
specify forwardonly and readonly on the recordset open.

var objDB;
var rs;

objDB = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection");
objDB.Open("Driver={SQL
Server};Server=sname;UID=uid;PWD=pwd;WSID=;Language=us_english;DATABASE=dbas
e;DSN=;")

rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset");
rs.Open("Product", objDB);

Randy Peterson <Randy.P...@ec.NOSPAM.gc.ca> wrote in message

> file://-->

Angie Benson

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
But now I am getting that same annoying errror on

retArray[0] = rs.fields("ProdDesc");

It works fine if I do
retArray[0] = "Bogus"

Got any suggestions?

Thanks
Angie Benson <angie....@card-plus.com> wrote in message

Michael Harris

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
retArray[0] = rs.fields("ProdDesc").Value;

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

Dennis Redfield

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
(at the risk of being pedantic). that "annoying error": [Remote Scripting
Error: Page invoked does not support Remote Scripting] is a generic error
message that raises its ugly head whenever there are any syntactical errors
on the called page whether or not they involve RS code or not. The
implication, for me, is: you should develop and test your non-remote code
(like your data access routines) in a non-remote scripting ASP page prior to
moving it into a remote script ASP. If you had done that you would have
seen the actual ADO error message for the errors you are seeing and hence
could actually correct the program rather than just guessing what the actual
error was, as you are doing.