Publisher error message 'CANNOT CREATE A TEMPORARY WORKING FILE'

Leef

Aug 5, 2008, 10:58:01 AM8/5/08
Hi there,

Whenever I try to edit and save a publisher file from my C driver, I get the
error message appear 'PUBLISHER CANNOT CREATE A TEMPORARY WORKING FILE' three
times.

However if I save the file on my network, I don't get the error message.
It does not seems to be access rights to my C drive, because if I open
another file, for instances a Word document in the same folder as the
publisher file, It's saves fine.

Regards
Lee

John Inzer

Aug 5, 2008, 11:06:15 AM8/5/08
===================================
What version of Publisher are you running?

--

John Inzer
MS Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Leef

Aug 5, 2008, 11:13:00 AM8/5/08
It either 97 or 98.

Mary Sauer

Aug 5, 2008, 11:45:19 AM8/5/08
An old Knowledge Base article. It is for 3.0, but you might get some insight.
PUB: Can't Create Temp File if Permissions Wrong on Root Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179085/en-us
--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Leef" <Le...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Leef

Aug 5, 2008, 12:04:01 PM8/5/08
Hi Mary,

From that I can see, this does not seem to relate to the problem that I am
getting.

Thanks anyway.

Anyone else had this problem?

Regards

Leef

John Inzer

Aug 5, 2008, 1:28:15 PM8/5/08
==================================
Do you receive the error with all files or just
certain ones? The following article seems to
suggest that the file is corrupted.

(198244) PUB2000: Cannot Save Publication
After You Lose Network Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198244/en-us

Mary Sauer

Aug 5, 2008, 2:38:15 PM8/5/08
The best suggestion was to ignore the error. When I open Publisher 97 I get the
same error as you are receiving, I ignore it and all goes well.

"Leef" <Le...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

HENRY

Aug 14, 2008, 10:30:01 PM8/14/08
I have the same problem with Publisher 98 when running with Windows VISTA,
"PUBLISHER CANNOT CREATE A TEMPORARY WORKING FILE". When I tried with my
other computer using Windows XP, everything works fine. It gets irritating
every time I tried to save a file. It looks like a VISTA correlated problem.
Any fix?

Henry

Mary Sauer

Aug 17, 2008, 1:57:57 PM8/17/08
If you can ignore the message and still save, then you have the solution. It is
irritating but as long as your publication is saved and can be re-opened...
I've looked at many KB articles hoping to find a concrete answer but I haven't
been successful.

"HENRY" <HE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Matt Shirk

Oct 10, 2010, 4:56:22 PM10/10/10
I just want to let you know that there is an article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179085 (Article ID 179085) on Microsoft.com that lists several possible fixes for the "Publisher cannot create a temporary working file" error.