Publisher 97 Wordart problem...Help PLEASE

Stu

Dec 29, 2000, 5:08:12 AM12/29/00
I have beeen running Publisher 97 quite happily for 2 1/2 years with not TOO
many problems, but about a month ago things started going awry.... If I
create a new document which includes a word art box, i can double click the
word art box to edit the text without any problems...until my first "save"
after that I keep getting an error message telling me that:

- "Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server programme
neeeded to complete this task"

The error message then goes on to suggest that either there is not enough
disk space (8.5 GB spare??) or there is a problem with the server programme
and I should try reinstalling it. I have run uninstall on Publisher and
reinstalled it to no avail, I have manually found the Wordart application
Wordart32.exe, deleted it then reinstalled...still no good. I am now runout
of ideas and would welcome any (sensible!!) suggestions.

Many thanks in advance

Stuart Gledhill

PS. If you wish to e-mail me privately, please remove NOWAY from my address

BLP

Dec 29, 2000, 11:30:33 AM12/29/00

I found this article in Microsoft's knowledge base

support.microsoft.com

Article number Q171384

Searched for word art

PUB: Error Inserting WordArt Object

----

Microsoft Publisher 97, on platform(s):
The Microsoft Windows NT operating system, on platform(s):
The Microsoft Windows operating system
Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95, version 3.0

----
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry.
Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if
a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring
the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key"
Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SYMPTOMS
When you run a Publisher PageWizard Design Assistant or attempt to insert a
WordArt object in a Publisher file, you receive the following error message:

"Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server program needed
to complete this task.
You may still be able to insert WordArt text effects using other Microsoft
Office 97 programs."

CAUSE
The Office 97 programs include a set of special text effects referred to as
WordArt. These WordArt text effects are different from the objects created
by the WordArt program that ships with Microsoft Publisher and earlier
versions of Microsoft Office.

Publisher uses a Registry key to locate the WordArt program file
(Wordart32.exe). If that key is missing, or contains the wrong path, then
you will not be able to insert WordArt into Publisher.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys And
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
If you are running Windows NT, you should also update your Emergency Repair
Disk (ERD).

On the Windows Start menu, click Run.

In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, select the following
Registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000212F0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
\LocalServer32
Press DELETE.

On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Insert the Publisher Setup disk 1 or the Publisher compact disc into the
appropriate drive.

On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.

On the Install/Uninstall tab, double-click Microsoft Publisher 97 or
Microsoft Publisher 95.

In the Maintenance Mode dialog box, click Reinstall and follow the
instructions on the screen.

Additional query words: pub95 pub97 pub3 pub4 mspub re-register 4.00 3.0 4.0
Word Art Escher OfficeArt Drawing Layer PowerPoint Excel works

Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbOSWinNT kbOSWinSearch

Last Reviewed: October 18, 2000
© 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

"Stu" <s...@NOWAYgledz.com> wrote in message

Rimmer

Jan 7, 2001, 12:26:20 AM1/7/01
I have this same problem in Publisher2000. Would this fix also apply to my
problem, too?

Max
BLP <NOSPA...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

David A.

Jan 7, 2001, 1:52:01 AM1/7/01
Should be as WordArt in Publisher 95,97, 98 and 2000 is basically all the
same. If this does not work for you post back with the error message you
are getting.

--
MS Publisher Templates
http://www.desktoppublishing.com/templ_mspub.html

Need to send Publisher or any other format files that others can viewed
by e-mail then have a look at the freeware eFax Messenger Plus!
www.hotsend.com