Microsoft Visual Basic: File Not Found error

Ellen

Dec 15, 2004, 5:21:02 PM12/15/04
When clicking on the resource allocation view button on the resource
management toolbar, we get an error with the title Microsoft Visual Basic
stating File Not Found. If we click on this error 6 times, the resouce
allocation view will come up. When you close out of the document, you get
this message one more time. We've tried the suggestions in this article:
How to Troubleshoot Damaged Projects in Microsoft Project
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318438. When we try
to save the document, Project quits responding and comes up with the box to
send an error report to Microsoft. I have tried to save as in XML format but
Project quits responding. Are there any tools available to fix corrupt
project documents. We are using Microsoft Project Professional 2002. I
don't think its a problem with the installation as it is only happing to this
one document and for anyone who tries to work with it. This problem just
started happening. The author of the document has made several changes to
the one that worked on December 1. She even went back to the earlier version
and made the resouce changes again. The same thing happens. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

John

Dec 15, 2004, 10:15:54 PM12/15/04
In article <88BB5756-38A8-467A...@microsoft.com>,
"Ellen" <El...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Ellen,
I'm not sure why you would get a visual basic error, the resource
allocation view is just a custom split view. However you may be right
about having a corrupt file. Go to the MVP website at:
http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm
and look at FAQ 43 - File Bloat, might be corruption.

Hope this helps.
John

Ellen

Dec 16, 2004, 10:05:01 AM12/16/04
John,

I tried that yesterday and still got the file not found error along with
Project not responding when trying to save and the report error problem box
came up. I tried again this morning and the same thing happened.

We didn't have success with the knowledgebase article either.

Are there any programs available for recovering project documents like there
are for office documents?

John

Dec 16, 2004, 1:29:01 PM12/16/04
In article <F7D1FED5-3318-4B21...@microsoft.com>,
"Ellen" <El...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> I tried that yesterday and still got the file not found error along with
> Project not responding when trying to save and the report error problem box
> came up. I tried again this morning and the same thing happened.
>
> We didn't have success with the knowledgebase article either.
>
> Are there any programs available for recovering project documents like there
> are for office documents?
>
> "John" wrote:
>
> > In article <88BB5756-38A8-467A...@microsoft.com>,
> > "Ellen" <El...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Ellen,
I honestly don't know. Hopefully one of the other guys will jump in with
a suggestion.

Meanwhile, does the earlier (i.e. December 1) version still work without
problems? If so, you might try "creeping" up on the problem by making a
few of the resource changes at a time and seeing how it responds. I know
this is a tedious process, but it may be your best bet. If the earlier
version does NOT work then I suggest you go back to your save archive,
find the last version that does work and go from there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
John

Ellen

Dec 16, 2004, 3:35:03 PM12/16/04
John,

Thanks for your help. I know she did try to go back to an earlier version
but made all the changes at once and ran into the problem again. I sent her
your response to let her know she should try a few changes at a time and if
no errors save the file and keep going. That way if she has the problem
again, she won't have to reenter as much information.

Ellen

Mike Glen

Dec 16, 2004, 4:04:17 PM12/16/04
Hi Ellen,

I have no answer :( However, the fact that you get a visual basic error
makes me think of macros. Have a look at the Organizer to see if there are
6 macros in your project. If so, make a copy of your project and delete the
macros from it and see if that changes anything.

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-))

Mike Glen
MS Project MVP

Ellen

Dec 16, 2004, 7:09:04 PM12/16/04
Mike,

I've sent this information to the person having the problem. Does project
by default have macros? I went into tools, macro in my copy of the document
and deleted the macros that showed up. I unfortunately did not make sure the
Macros In box showed the document. I don't see any macros in project now. I
did uninstall and reinstall project but they did not come back.

When I went into the organizer, I did not see a tab for macros. I did this
after I had deleted the macros under tools, macros. Where are they usually
located in the organizer?

The error was also still coming up after doing this.

Ellen

John

Dec 17, 2004, 12:07:34 PM12/17/04
In article <4E403C44-AC98-4D25...@microsoft.com>,
"Ellen" <El...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I've sent this information to the person having the problem. Does project
> by default have macros? I went into tools, macro in my copy of the document
> and deleted the macros that showed up. I unfortunately did not make sure the
> Macros In box showed the document. I don't see any macros in project now. I
> did uninstall and reinstall project but they did not come back.
>
> When I went into the organizer, I did not see a tab for macros. I did this
> after I had deleted the macros under tools, macros. Where are they usually
> located in the organizer?
>
> The error was also still coming up after doing this.
>
> Ellen
>
> "Mike Glen" wrote:
>
> > Hi Ellen,
> >
> > I have no answer :( However, the fact that you get a visual basic error
> > makes me think of macros. Have a look at the Organizer to see if there are
> > 6 macros in your project. If so, make a copy of your project and delete
> > the
> > macros from it and see if that changes anything.
> >
> > Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-))
> >
> > Mike Glen
> > MS Project MVP

Ellen,
First, you will not see macros listed in the Organizer. You will however
see a "Modules" tab. Modules contain one or more macros and there are a
couple of ways to associate macros with their containing modules. Here
is one of them. You mentioned Project 2002 Professional in your original
post. I don't have Project 2002 (I have Project 2003) and I only have
the standard version. I assume Project 2002 has the same built-in
modules as Project 2003 although the Professional versions may have
additional modules. At any rate, open Project and go to,
Tools/Macro/Visual Basic Editor. On the VB Editor screen, hit the
Project Explorer icon (about the 14the icon from the left on the
standard toolbar). The left side of the screen will show all objects,
forms and modules associated with the Project Global and any other
Project files that are open. The standard built-in modules for Project
2003 (Global) are:
Auxiliary
Format_Duration
Rollup_Formatting

And the standard built-in forms are:
frmFormatDuration
frmRollUp

Forms also have code associated with them

If there are more than the 5 listed (3 modules and 2 forms), either
someone has added custom modules/forms to the Global or the Professional
version has additional built-in modules/forms. There are no built-in
modules/forms in the default project (i.e. Project 1) or any other user
created Project files. Modules/forms for those are all custom and user
generated.

You indicated you deleted all macros but let's be sure because there
might be some hidden auto-run type macros that you didn't see. These
would have had to be created by someone though so it is unlikely they
are the root of the problem, but hey, leave no stone unturned.
1. Open the errant file if possible
2. Activate the VB Editor and ensure the Project Explorer pane is active.
3. In the Explorer pane double click on the "ThisProject(ProjectX)",
listed under VBAProject(ProjectX).
4. If there is hidden code attached it will show in the code pane on the
right.
5. Select all the code and delete it
6. Do the same thing for Forms listed under VBAProject(ProjectX) if any
exist. To see the code associated with a form, go to View/code.

If you find no hidden macros and you in fact deleted all other macros
from the file and the file still gives you problems when opening, then I
refer you back to my suggestion to creep up on the changes from a know
good point.

Good Luck,
John