Visual Reports: An Unknown Error Has Occured

Andrew Lavinsky

May 3, 2008, 9:53:00 AM5/3/08
Interesting issue I haven't seen before. Curious if anyone has insight:

New laptop w/ Windows Vista
MPP07, Excel 07, Visio 07 - w/ .Net Programmability Support installed

When running Visual Reports, I consistently get an Unknown Error dialog box.

Checked and .Net 2.0 is definitely installed on this machine. Ran the
Office diagnostic, and nothing.

Suggestions?

-A

JulieS

May 3, 2008, 1:20:22 PM5/3/08
Hello Andrew,

I initially had trouble with Project 2007 visual reports until I
changed the option to allow legacy file formats to be opened. See
Tools > Options, Security tab.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information
about Microsoft Project

"Andrew Lavinsky" <AndrewL...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3BC6DA0A-669F-459C...@microsoft.com...

Andrew Lavinsky

May 3, 2008, 3:48:02 PM5/3/08
Thanks for the tip. Tried playing w/ those settings, but it still doesn't
work.

Any other ideas?

-A

> Hello Andrew,
>
> I initially had trouble with Project 2007 visual reports until I
> changed the option to allow legacy file formats to be opened. See

Tools>> Options, Security tab.

Tools>>

JulieS

May 3, 2008, 4:46:11 PM5/3/08
Sorry that didn't work Andrew and I'm afraid I don't have any other
recommendations. Is the problem occurring just with Excel reports or
Visio or both? I assume you have Visio Professional installed along
with SP-1 for Project?

Julie

<Andrew Lavinsky> wrote in message

Andrew Lavinsky

May 3, 2008, 5:00:57 PM5/3/08
Yup, have SP1, everything is up to date. The problem occurs w/ both Excel
and Visio. Very annoying.

-A

JulieS

May 4, 2008, 8:57:01 AM5/4/08
Sorry Andrew, I don't run Vista so I can't help troubleshoot any
further. A quick search of google groups didn't turn up much either.

Julie
<Andrew Lavinsky> wrote in message

Andrew Lavinsky

May 6, 2008, 12:44:03 PM5/6/08
I think the image was buggy. Got a new laptop w/ a new image, and the
problem has vanished.

Thks for the help.

-A

JulieS

May 6, 2008, 2:44:26 PM5/6/08
Great to hear it's all sorted out. Thanks for posting the resolution.

Julie

"Andrew Lavinsky" <AndrewL...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:54416635-71F3-449A...@microsoft.com...

michellerazo

Nov 12, 2009, 11:28:00 AM11/12/09
The reports can fail to build if the plan has incomplete tasks or have prohibited characters. For example, if you have a task that is missing the name, it will not build. Remove blank lines and special characters from the plan.

AndrewLavinsk wrote:

Visual Reports: An Unknown Error Has Occured
03-May-08

Suggestions?

-A

On Saturday, May 03, 2008 9:53 AM
AndrewLavinsk wrote:

Visual Reports: An Unknown Error Has Occured

Suggestions?

-A

On Saturday, May 03, 2008 1:20 PM
JulieS wrote:

Hello Andrew,I initially had trouble with Project 2007 visual reports until I
Hello Andrew,

I initially had trouble with Project 2007 visual reports until I
changed the option to allow legacy file formats to be opened. See
Tools > Options, Security tab.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information
about Microsoft Project