Microsoft Office Project Server Spooler Error (0x8C040028)

Jame Smith

Oct 10, 2005, 7:37:40 PM10/10/05
Hi all,

Last two weeks we installed Project Server 2003 sp1 with WSS sp1 on a test
machine that runs Windows 2003 sp1. The installation procedure was from MS
Single Installation Guide. Everything works as normal until Friday last
week when it suddenly comes up with the error (0x8C040028) when we published
a project through Microsoft Project Professional 2003. We checked all the
settings, permissions, network and could not find any problem. We did
search on MS techsite and Google, came up with few hints but none worked.
We did follow MS article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328249

but it does not help either. The errors come up in the Application Event
Log are:

Source: Microsoft Project Server
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 2
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: TestPjSr
Component: PjMsgHlr
File: C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pjmsghlr\MsgHandler.
cpp
Line: 588
Error Number: 0x8c040028
included.]]></Description>

Source: Microsoft Project Server
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 2
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: TestPjSr
Component: PjMsgHlr
File: C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pjmsghlr\MsgHandler.
cpp
Line: 1100
Error Number: 0x8c040028
included.]]></Description>

Source: Microsoft Project Server
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 2
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: TestPjSr
Component: PjMsgHlr
File: C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pjmsghlr\updatedb.cpp
Line: 502
Error Number: 0x8c040028
included.]]></Description>

Source: Microsoft Project Server
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 2
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: TestPjSr
Component: PjMsgHlr
File: C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pjmsghlr\updatedb.cpp
Line: 2262
Error Number: 0x8c040028
included.]]></Description>
Source: Microsoft Project Server
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 2
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Component: PjQuery
File: C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pjquery\PjGenericQuery.
cpp
Line: 919
Error Number: 0x80004003
included.]]></Description>

[...]

Does anyone know why this happen?

Thanks for your help,

Dale Howard [MVP] dot at dot

Oct 11, 2005, 11:13:23 AM10/11/05
Jame --

Refer to the following link for potential causes of this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328249

Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
Enterprise Project Trainer/Consultant

"Jame Smith" <me...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Jame Smith

Oct 11, 2005, 5:55:27 PM10/11/05
Hi Dale,

Thanks for your reply. We did read and check our server based on the
article recommendations. Problem still there. Updated to service pack 2
for WSS, Project Srv 2003 as well as Project Pro 2003 would not solve the
problem.

The strange thing is if we let the same person logs into the Windows 2003
server itself through terminal service, things go smoothly with no spooler
error, the project published correctly into the PS 2003...