Could not load project

Rohit Agrawal

Jan 15, 2010, 11:11:01 AM1/15/10
I am not able to open a enterprise project using MS project 2007. All other
projects on project server are working fine.
Error I was getting earlier was:
Project server encountered a problem with this error code: 42. An unhandled
exception occured in WinProj.ReadProjectCoreData. Error id = "42", name =
"generalUnhandledException"

Now I restarted IIS on project server and when i try to open project, error
i am getting is:
Error ID: -2147024809
Error Description: Client:Loading the request into soapreader failed.

Please advise on this urgent issue asap.

Thanks and regards,
Rohit agrawal

Dale Howard [MVP]

Jan 15, 2010, 12:07:48 PM1/15/10
Rohit --

Given the fact that you can open other projects but cannot open this
particular project, I would strongly suspect that the project has somehow
gotten corrupted. There are only a couple things you can do to try and
recover it. One approach is to open a new blank project, then click
Insert - Project. In the Insert Project dialog, select the project in
question, DESELECT the "Link to project" option, and click the Insert
button. If the operation works, you have at least recovered the guts of the
project. You should save the project under a new name and delete the old
corrupted project. The other approach is to use the Administrative Restore
feature in PWA and restore the last known working copy of the project. This
is assuming, of course, that you are using the Schedule Backup feature in
the system. If not, let this situation be a lesson to you that you should
set up the automatic backup of each project on a nightly backup. You might
want to retain 3 copies of each project, just in case. Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Rohit Agrawal" <RohitA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rohit Agrawal

Jan 15, 2010, 2:06:02 PM1/15/10
Hi Dale,
Thanks for the info.
I enabled logs on server and found the following error message in log when i
open the project from client. Can you please advise on these error messages?

Error is: GeneralUnhandledException. Details: Attributes:
System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException'
was thrown. at System.IO.MemoryStream.set_Capacity(Int32 value) at
System.IO.MemoryStream.EnsureCapacity(Int32 value) at
System.IO.MemoryStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at
System.IO.BinaryWriter.Write(UInt16 value) at
Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.WinProjUtility.P12Serializer.WriteIntrinsicNullProperties(P12ContainerHeader
header, SqlDataReader dr, Object[] values, Dictionary`2 ordinals, Boolean
sendDelta, Int32 createdRevCounterOrdinal, Int32[] nonBoolPids, BinaryWriter
writer, Dictionary`2 extraPropValues) at
Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.WinProjUtility.P12Serializer.WriteIntr......insicDataRow(P12ContainerHeader
header, SqlDataReader dr, Object[] values, Int32[] nonBoolPids, Dictionary`2
ordinals, Boolean sendDelta, Int32 createdRevCounterOrdinal, BinaryWriter
writer, Dictionary`2 extraPropValues) at
Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.WinProjUtility.P12Serializer.SerializeProjectData(Guid
projGuid, SqlDataReader dataReader, List`1 tableNames, List`1 resultSets,
Boolean sendDelta, Boolean isCoreData, Dictionary`2 customFields,
Dictionary`2 extraPropValues, WinProjSecurity securityWorker, BinaryWriter
writer) at
Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.WinProj.ReadProjectCoreData(Guid
projGuid, Int32 projType, Int32 datastore, String oldVersionStampStr, Int16
dataFormatVersion, UInt16[] containerIds, Int32 lcid, Guid sessionGuid,
String session......Descr, Boolean isDataCompressed) at
Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.WinProj.ReadProjectCoreData(Guid
projGuid, Int32 projType, Int32 datastore, String oldVersionStampStr, Int16
dataFormatVersion, UInt16[] containerIds, Int32 lcid, Guid sessionGuid,
String sessionDescr, Boolean isDataCompressed) . Standard Information: PSI
Entry Point: WinProj.ReadProjectCoreData Project User: WW005\agraro00
Correlation Id: b5f8c7da-ca20-4d25-920d-f770ff808b58 PWA Site URL:
http://us-axepm.ww005.siemens.net/PWA SSP Name: SSPEPM PSError:
GeneralUnhandledException (42)

Regards,
Rohit

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> .

Dale Howard [MVP]

Jan 15, 2010, 2:40:30 PM1/15/10
Rohit --

From the error message, it looks like Microsoft Project is "choking" when it
tries to read the data in the project file (shown in the
"WinProj.ReadProjectCoreData" text string near the end of the error log).
This makes me suspect even more strongly that this project is corrupted.
And that takes me back to my original advice to you on how to recover the
project. Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

"Rohit Agrawal" <RohitA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rohit Agrawal

Jan 15, 2010, 3:38:01 PM1/15/10
Hi Dale,
Thanks for the suggestion. Even after project restore it is not working.
luckily we have offline copy of the project, so we will remove the project
from enterprise and import it again.

Are there any signs that we should look for in standalone project before
importing it into project server to prevent corruption issues?
What causes the project corruption and how do we prevent it?

Dale Howard [MVP]

Jan 15, 2010, 4:07:18 PM1/15/10

Rohit --

What do you mean by an offline copy? Do you mean a copy saved as an MPP
file? If so, that is not an offline project, but is called a local project.

Assuming you mean a local project, there is nothing in particular you can
look for as a sign of a corrupted project. The leading cause of corrupted
projects continues to be that the PM cut/copied/pasted complete task rows,
either internally in the project in question, or from an external project.
I am happy that you have a good working copy of the project. It sounds like
the restore procedure only restored another corrupted copy of the project.
Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

"Rohit Agrawal" <RohitA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rohit Agrawal

Jan 18, 2010, 11:37:01 AM1/18/10
Thanks Dale.
I meant local copy of the project. I will communicate to PMs not to
copy-paste tasks to avoid corruption in future.

Dale Howard [MVP]

Jan 18, 2010, 12:16:58 PM1/18/10
Rohit --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend! :)

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

"Rohit Agrawal" <RohitA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rohit Agrawal

Jan 18, 2010, 6:15:01 PM1/18/10
Hi Dale,
I got few questions from my PMs.

1. Just to clarify.
if project is in standalone mpp file (outside of project server) then
copy-paste of task is no issue and will not cause corruption.
Copy-paste is only issue when project is uploaded to project server. is this
correct?

2. also, how do i find uuid of the tasks in project?

3. If copy-paste is reason for corruption, why is this allowed and not
diabled by tool?

Thanks and regards,
Rohit agrawal

Dale Howard [MVP]

Jan 18, 2010, 9:05:38 PM1/18/10
Rohit --

1. Yes, that is correct.

2. Examine the Draft database for the enterprise Unique ID information.

3. I have no idea. I don't work for Microsoft and didn't write the
software. Tell your PMs not to blame the messenger! :)

Keep in mind that at this point, there is probably nothing you can do if a
PM decides to ignore my advice and cut/copy/paste entire task rows anyway.
Tell them they should do so only at their own risk.

Hope this helps.