Re: how do I fill a shape with a pattern (hash marks, stripes, dots, e

Luc

Aug 12, 2007, 3:35:03 AM8/12/07
Jock,
Sorry to disappoint you but they are gone. It seems it was a feature that
was not used all that much.

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
> It was easy in 2003, now I can't see how to simply fill a shape with a
> pattern.

Jock

Aug 12, 2007, 5:34:00 AM8/12/07
Luc,

I can't believe it - I used that feature all the time! Oh well, thanks for
the reply - at least I can stop searching!

Regards,

Jock

John Wilson

Aug 12, 2007, 8:34:01 AM8/12/07
If you still have access to 2003 and only use a few patterns you could try
this:

In 2003 draw a small square and fill with the pattern of your choice (no
line) then right click and save as picture (emf) Now in 2007 use fill >
texture > more textures > Insert from file (the saved picture).
--
Amazing PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials-
http://www.PPTAlchemy.co.uk

Pedro

Aug 29, 2007, 8:36:03 AM8/29/07
Nooooooooo......

That was the feature I used most.

As an mechanical engineer it was perfect for shading sections and drawings,
and even looked like the correct engineering protocol.

IMHO loosing that feature was a mistake

Pedro

Steve Rindsberg

Feb 17, 2008, 11:11:16 PM2/17/08
> Pattern fill for shapes is another feature of the Office 2003 drawing tools
> that is now gone!
>
> The other one I used all the time was snap to grid with drawing tools! With
> the new version I can't make many of the technical presentation type drawings
> I used to! For example, I can no longer make a "square wave" shape because of
> the lack of snap-to on a grid!

You don't say, but I'm assuming you've installed 2007?

Snap-to and the grid are still there. Right-click in an area of the slide that
contains no shapes, or just off the slide to be certain and choose "Grid and
Guides". Back in comfortable territory now?

But pattern fills are indeed gone.

If you still have PPT 2003 or access to it, you can set a slide up at, say,
1"x1" page size, fill it with one of the pattern fills, then export as WMF or
EMF. You can then use those as picture fills in 2007.

I've written a little macro that'll automatically generate a little WMF file of
each available patterned fill. See below. If you're not comfy with using VBA,
wait a bit and visit:

No more Pattern Fills in PowerPoint 2007
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00925.htm

I'll post a link to a zip file with all of the pattern fills sample WMF files.

Sub MakeFillPatterns()

' Start by opening a new blank presentation
' Then run this

Dim oSh As Shape
Dim x As Long
Dim sOutputFolder As String

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

' edit this to the slash-terminated path to the folder where you want the
files created
' the folder MUST exist or you'll get an error and the macro won't work
sOutputFolder = "c:\temp\"

With ActivePresentation
.PageSetup.SlideHeight = 72
.PageSetup.SlideWidth = 72
Set oSh = .Slides(1).Shapes.AddShape(msoShapeRectangle, 0, 0, 72, 72)
With oSh
' we don't want the outline visible ... it'll spoil the pattern
.Line.Visible = msoFalse
.Fill.Transparency = 0#
.Fill.Visible = msoTrue

' This is set to use foreground and background scheme colors.
' Change the scheme to get different color fills:
.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = ppForeground
.Fill.BackColor.SchemeColor = ppBackground

For x = 1 To 64
.Fill.Patterned x
ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Export sOutputFolder &
"PatternedFill" & CStr(x) & ".WMF", "WMF"
'ActivePresentation.SaveAs sOutputFolder & "PatternedFill" &
CStr(x) & ".WMF", ppSaveAsMetaFile
Next

End With
End With

NormalExit:
Exit Sub
ErrorHandler:
' if we got here, either the path was wrong or we've asked for a fill number
greater than
' PPT knows about; either way, quit
Resume NormalExit

End Sub

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Unhappy

Mar 27, 2008, 2:43:00 PM3/27/08
Thanks Steve Rindsberg.
I got to the point of creating the macro, but when I run it, it only creates
a single pattern (little sparse dots). What I need to find out is how to link
all the WFM files contained in the ZIP folder so that I can see all the
options. I must be missing something real simple. Thanks

Steve Rindsberg

Apr 5, 2008, 5:28:37 PM4/5/08
In article <E190E006-8EE0-443C...@microsoft.com>, Unhappy wrote:
> Thanks Steve Rindsberg.
> I got to the point of creating the macro, but when I run it, it only creates
> a single pattern (little sparse dots).

No, that's just the last pattern it creates. It also creates WMF files of each
pattern that PPT is able to understand and saves them in the directory the macro
calls for (C:\Temp, unless you've changed it)

To use them, you'd use the formatting dialog, choose a Picture or Pattern fill,
click From File and pick one of the patterns.

> What I need to find out is how to link
> all the WFM files contained in the ZIP folder so that I can see all the
> options. I must be missing something real simple. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "link"

Perot@discussions.microsoft.com Hercule Perot

Nov 19, 2008, 4:42:05 PM11/19/08
Here is another case where MICROSOFT is completely out of touch with it's
customers. In the consulting firm where I work, I would say that 90% of the
40,000 practitioners use pattern fill each week.

What did MICROSOFT do to come with the idea to remove this feature.

OH HOW I HATE VISTA AND OFFICE 2007!

Lucy Thomson

Nov 19, 2008, 5:10:01 PM11/19/08
Hi Hercule

The community has come up with some workarounds since this discussion:

No more Pattern Fills in PowerPoint 2007
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00925.htm

I understand your frustration with moving to Vista & Office '07 but perhaps
if you tell us about specific issues you are having (with Office, not Vista)
we could help.

Lucy

--
Lucy Thomson
PowerPoint MVP

"Hercule Perot" <Hercule Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[

Nov 19, 2008, 5:36:56 PM11/19/08
Try Pattern, here
http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk:80/2007_Pattern_Fill.html

"Hercule Perot" <Hercule Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 5836786C-1DE4-4768...@microsoft.com...

Perot@discussions.microsoft.com Hercule Perot

Nov 19, 2008, 6:41:00 PM11/19/08
Lucy,

Thank you so very much for your pointers, unfortunately I do very little in
black and white so this is pretty much useless. Do you have a way (without
VB coding) that I can dynamically change fill patter color?

In addition to that, I can no longer edit ANY of my legacy PPT content as
75%+ uses pattern fills. My clients usually have specific colors to be
aligned with their branding and I can no longer build upon my vast collection
of pre-existing work.

Think about how many people are having these problems? This is crazy!

In general, I have found that most of the commands that I could get to with
one click now require multiple clicks. I did most of my work with
key-strokes and most of the commands have change (why in the world ...?). My
productivity has tanked as much of my time is spent hunting down how to do
something that was simple in the past.

Lucy Thomson

Nov 19, 2008, 8:27:01 PM11/19/08
Hi

Are you using Excel charts or MS Graph charts? If you are using Excel Andy
Pope's add-in should help: http://andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm and
if you are using MS Graph then don't convert them when prompted by
PowerPoint '07 and you still have pattern fills. The Excel team have a blog
post about pattern-fills here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2007/11/16/chart-pattern-fills.aspx

I'm afraid I don't have a great deal of experience with moving chart-heavy
ppts from '03 to '07 but others here do so they may have more tips for you.
And I can certainly see why you would be frustrated - lets hope MS are
listening...

My experience with using keystrokes is that the old ones still work (which
helped a great deal in my migration!) - did you have many that you had added
yourself as I'm not sure these will work? You may want to look at this:
http://officeone.mvps.org/ppsctmgr/ppsctmgr.html And be aware that pressing
'alt' activates the 'new' set of shortcuts.

Lucy
--
Lucy Thomson
PowerPoint MVP
MOS Master Instructor
www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au

"Hercule Perot" <Hercule Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hercule Perot

Nov 19, 2008, 10:29:01 PM11/19/08
Lucy,

The graphics that I am using area being created with shapes. In one case
today it was to create a Gantt chart and in the other it was a geographic map
of shapes.

Group and ungroup was Ctrl-Shft-G / Ctrl-Shft-H now it's Ctrl-G /
Ctrl-Shft-G. To make matters worse, what was group is now ungroup. Ctrl-O
used to open the format menu, now it's file open. Format painter used to be
Ctrl-Shft-C which now is nothing. .... and let's not start on how Excel
operates completely differently then the rest of the office suite (alt-F4
closes all rather than just the current file, and ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] do not
reduce and increase font size). I only use the standard keystrokes.

(BTW, thanks for taking the time to reply to me :-) )

Lucy Thomson

Nov 19, 2008, 10:53:56 PM11/19/08
"Hercule Perot" <Hercul...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lucy,

Hercule,

> The graphics that I am using area being created with shapes. In one case
> today it was to create a Gantt chart and in the other it was a geographic
> map
> of shapes.

Ahhh, shapes. Would making the shapes in Word then copy/paste work for you?
Pattern fills are still around in Word '07. Or creating pictures of your
shape pattern fills and then using the picture fill command? I've done a wee
bit of testing and it seems old '03 shapes with pattern fill can be resized
& converted to other shapes in '07 (though not re-coloured) - could that
work for you?

I create Gantts in Excel (saves me having to buy/learn Project):
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346051033.aspx

> Group and ungroup was Ctrl-Shft-G / Ctrl-Shft-H now it's Ctrl-G /
> Ctrl-Shft-G.

Must admit I didn't know that original one as I'm a button gal for
group/ungroup - I suppose as I use the mouse to select so just hang on to
it...

>To make matters worse, what was group is now ungroup. Ctrl-O
> used to open the format menu, now it's file open.

AFAIK Ctrl+O has always opened the open dialogue accross the Office suite

>Format painter used to be
> Ctrl-Shft-C which now is nothing.

My only suggestion is to add it to the QAT then you can use Alt + whatever
'07 tells you. Personally I prefer pick up style & apply style commands to
format painter in PPT

> .... and let's not start on how Excel
> operates completely differently then the rest of the office suite (alt-F4
> closes all rather than just the current file, and ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] do not
> reduce and increase font size). I only use the standard keystrokes.

I always used Ctrl+W to close files and that still works. In general, I
guess I didn't use as many keyboard shortcuts as I thought I did ;-)

> (BTW, thanks for taking the time to reply to me :-) )

Just trying to ease the pain in any way I can :-)

Lucy

JR

Dec 30, 2008, 2:14:01 PM12/30/08
Lucy,

Hercule said it all when he replied to your (this) post.

Years and years of hand-eye-muscle coordination and knowning EXACTLY how to
fly through building a presentation in at least three previous versions of
powerpoint are gone with this new version.

Multiple clicks looking for vanished tools (the pattern part is second only
by the absence -- well, so far -- of being able to set a default font for all
new text box items).

This is sure frustrating for an old "powerpoint ranger". Lots and lots of
lost productivity.

Lucy Thomson

Dec 30, 2008, 8:30:16 PM12/30/08
Hi JR

I hear you! My pet peeve that still makes me swear out loud (good thing I
work alone) is moving the little view buttons from the left hand corner to
the right hand corner for *absolutely no reason at all* - I use them all the
time to get into the master (holding shift when you click the 3 buttons
changes what they do). And as I still use '03 and '07 it gets me *every
single time*. End rant.

Tips for moving to 2007:
Download the 'where have all the commands gone' spreadsheet
(use ctrl+f to search the workbook for the command you are after):
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC102128641033.aspx?pid=CT102130321033

Look at Echo's site to discover all the new & missing things in 2007:
http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm

Set up your Quick Access Toolbar with all your fav buttons (at the mo I have
the alignment/distribute buttons up there, print preview, pick up/apply
style eye dropper, properties, insert rectangle)

Take deep breaths & count to ten often ;-)

I know none of that is going to solve all your issues but it may help ease
some of the pain - after all we have to use what we're given...

Lucy

--
Lucy Thomson
PowerPoint MVP
MOS Master Instructor
www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au

"JR" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

FP

Aug 31, 2009, 7:50:01 AM8/31/09
Where is the official Microsoft comment on this? I have spent hours looking
for the pattern control and as a last result decided to search the web for
the answer. In the interim I have found I can take 2003 objects with pattern
fills and use paint brush to apply them in 2007 but its a time consuming work
around and may not be stable. Its difficult to believe that MS would remove
this facility. Pattern fills are an essential feature of engineering
sketches. Without patterns PowerPoint becomes an even more second rate
product. A friend successfully uses Autosketch and then converts the drawings
to pdf's for presenations. That may be the way to go as it works reasonably
well. I hear others are going to open office but I am not sure what
disadvanatges that will have.

Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[

Aug 31, 2009, 8:36:01 AM8/31/09
It has dissapeared. Now, a way to succeed: use Word to fill your shape with
the pattern you want and then copy/paste it in PPT
"FP" <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
BB15E707-1BE6-4E42...@microsoft.com...

John Wilson

Aug 31, 2009, 3:11:10 PM8/31/09
We have a free addin to put pattern fills back

ONLY B&W and won't work in graphs
http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html#Tricks
John

"Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[" <jeaNONn-pierre.forestier@worl NON donline.fr>
wrote in message news:uT6XTejK...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> signature database 4385 (20090831) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4385 (20090831) __________

http://www.eset.com

Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[

Aug 31, 2009, 3:42:41 PM8/31/09
Yes John I forgot your addin.
About it, what about colors?
Have a nice day/night
"John Wilson" <jo...@pptalchemy.co.uk> a �crit dans le message de news:
CA491CE2-4A3A-4C5E...@microsoft.com...

Steve Rindsberg

Aug 31, 2009, 5:28:31 PM8/31/09

See John's addin first, but also have a look here:

No more Pattern Fills in PowerPoint 2007
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00925.htm

It points to some other solutions that address charts/graphs and such.

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

Don't Miss the PPTLive User Conference! Atlanta | Oct 11-14