different error bars for each data marker

KSkarupski

Aug 2, 2005, 12:20:22 PM8/2/05
How do I get unique error bars for each data marker? i.e. NOT the same error
bar for the whole data series.

Echo S

Aug 2, 2005, 12:50:08 PM8/2/05
KSkarupski wrote:
> How do I get unique error bars for each data marker? i.e. NOT the
> same error bar for the whole data series.

You have to do the graph in Excel and input a range for the error bars. This
cannot be done in PPT's version of MS Graph.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

KSkarupski

Aug 2, 2005, 1:05:01 PM8/2/05
Thank you for your quick reply Echo S. I created the chart in Excel but
discovered that my error bars were applied to the whole data series which is
unacceptable. Someeone told me that the "stock" type of chart in PowerPoint
would allow such customizing. I don't understand your instructions: "input a
range for the error bars." I don't care which program I use, I just need to
customize the error bars. Any further help Echo S?
Thanks much.

Echo S

Aug 2, 2005, 2:06:51 PM8/2/05
Make sure you have the error bar data input somewhere on the spreadsheet.
Create the chart as usual, then right-click the data series and choose
Format Data Series.

On the Y Error Bars tab, click the icon next to the "+" in the "Custom"
area.

The dialog box will become small.

Now drag your mouse across the error bars cells on the spreadsheet and click
the icon in the small dialog box to get back to the regular-sized dialog
box.

Do the same for the "-" data if you need to. Click OK to close the Format
Data Series dialog box.

(Thanks go to Brian Reilly for figuring this one out for me many years ago!)

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

KSkarupski

Aug 2, 2005, 2:20:05 PM8/2/05
Big Hug Echo S!
I was SO close! I was typing in the values in the Custom box, separated by
commas - but that wasn't working! The dragging over the cells did the trick!
xxoo (you saved me from a near meltdown)

Echo S

Aug 2, 2005, 2:46:08 PM8/2/05
KSkarupski wrote:
> Big Hug Echo S!
> I was SO close! I was typing in the values in the Custom box,
> separated by commas - but that wasn't working! The dragging over the
> cells did the trick! xxoo (you saved me from a near meltdown)

LOL! I'm glad to hear you got it worked out. (You were much closer than I
was, and I know how you feel -- I still remember how happy I was when Brian
taught me how to do this!)

Echo

Andrew

Sep 29, 2009, 1:27:01 AM9/29/09
I would like to put individual error bars on my graph in PowerPoint; however,
I have the 2003 MAC version, and I cannot find the custom tab. How do I put
individual error bars on my bar graph?