PERSONALISATION DE POWERPOINT?

ludovic hamelin

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
J'AIMERAIS SAVOIR QUEL FICHIER DOIT T'ON SAUVEGARDER POUR GARDER LES
MODIFICATIONS FAITES A L'ASPECT DE POWERPOINT, BARRE TITRE... CAR JE
VOUDRAIT FORMATTER ET JE NE VEUT PAS REFAIRE DES MODIFICATIONS QUI JE PENSE
DOIVENT ETRE SAUVEGARDER QUELQUE PART?

MERCI DE VOTRE AIDE

Kathy Huntzinger

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
to ludovic hamelin
My French is not great, but what I think you are asking is how to make a
template. Open a blank presentation and format it the way you want on
the slide master (View, Master, Slide Master). Then save it as a *.pot
Powerpoint Template, and put it in your template directory

Kathy Huntzinger

Mark Myers

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
to ludovic hamelin

Roughly Translated...

I think Ludovic would like to save his custom menu bars, title bars, and basic
appearance settings
(so that he can transfer them to another computer???) and wants to know where
the file containing
this information is.

Mark Myers
Caddock Electronics, Inc.

ludovic hamelin

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Excuse I'd think to send to a french news group!
Thanks for your answe but it's for save the toolbars information, the
powerpoint customization and not the file ppt customization do you
understand the difference cause my eng's not very good and it's not very
easy to explain in the Shakespeare's langage?
And Kathy if you've understood the message a think your french's great,
cause the french don't understand the french so...

Kathy Huntzinger ha scritto nel messaggio <35F7E55E...@tsc.com>...

>My French is not great, but what I think you are asking is how to make a
>template. Open a blank presentation and format it the way you want on
>the slide master (View, Master, Slide Master). Then save it as a *.pot
>Powerpoint Template, and put it in your template directory
>
>Kathy Huntzinger

Steve Rindsberg

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Look for a file called <something>.PCB

<something> will be the user name, generally. The PCB file contains the
toolbar customizations and such.

--
Steve Rindsberg, Prez, RDP (a slide imaging service)
Microsoft MVP, Lotus L-Team

ludovic hamelin <ludovic...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in article
<#7AudTW3...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...

Kathy Huntzinger

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
See? Back in the stone ages when I learned French, they still used
abacuses and knots on strings, not computers. I don't know any of the
computer terminology in any language but English. But I enjoy reading
other languages anyway. But that Анекдоты с Украины one has me stumped!

So, Steve, if I'm understanding you right, you can take that
<something>.pcb file and put it in another computer's c:\windows
directory, then they will have the same toolbars? What happens when
there are two (or more) users on the same machine? I went and searched
for *.pcb on my machine, and found no kathyh.pcb or graphics.pcb (login
name/computer name). However there WAS another USER.pcb with the
username of someone who has used my machine before. And just to be
ornery, I changed my toolbars (I *do* use custom ones) and sure enough,
that file updated. ????? SOooo.... can you only have one *.pcb file per
machine? If not (and surely not!) where does windows/office look to find
out which to use?

more confused than ever,
Kathy

Steve Rindsberg

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
But that Анекдоты с Украины one has me stumped!

Japanese and other doublebyte character sets come across on single-byte PCs
looking like that sometimes. I see somebody else has recognized it as
cyrillic script. So there ya go.

> So, Steve, if I'm understanding you right, you can take that
> <something>.pcb file and put it in another computer's c:\windows
> directory, then they will have the same toolbars?

That's the theory, anyhow. I know if you rename the thing, PPT reverts to
default behavior and if you rename it back to what it was, your
customizations reappear.

>>What happens when
> there are two (or more) users on the same machine?

There should be a <username>.PCB for each user. For various (boneheaded,
mostly) reasons, I changed my username a while back on my main machine, and
sure enough, there's a PCB for each of us. Me as I was then and me as I is
now.

>I went and searched
> for *.pcb on my machine, and found no kathyh.pcb or graphics.pcb (login
> name/computer name). However there WAS another USER.pcb with the
> username of someone who has used my machine before. And just to be
> ornery, I changed my toolbars (I *do* use custom ones) and sure enough,
> that file updated. ????? SOooo.... can you only have one *.pcb file per
> machine? If not (and surely not!) where does windows/office look to find
> out which to use?

I'm not sure how this works under Win95 if multiple users haven't been
enabled. I'm on NT where it's sort of a matter of course. If you're
feeling brave, you could try enabling multiple user logins on the Win95
box.

Kathy Huntzinger

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
> But that Анекдоты с Украины one has me stumped!
>
> Japanese and other doublebyte character sets come across on
> single-byte PCs
> looking like that sometimes. I see somebody else has recognized it as
> cyrillic script. So there ya go.

I knew it was my PC's rendition of another language, but even so I'd not
be able to even guess what it meant, unlike some other languages
(French, German, Spanish, esp) that use "our" alphabet. Maybe one day
I'll start studying languages again. But next on my list is VB, not
Russian.

> If you're
> feeling brave, you could try enabling multiple user logins on the
> Win95
> box.

Brave? sure I'm brave (it sounds better than foolish, doesn't it?)
First I renamed the pcb file with my login name, checked control panels,
passwords, user profiles, and sure enough, the option saying "all users
use same prefs" was checked. So, brave gal that I am, I unchecked it and
rebooted. I guess I should have waited till after that to rename my pcb
file, or at least I should have named it something else, because I came
up with the default desktop, default ppt too. I even had to reconfigure
my trackball and tell ICQ how to find me again (not sure how that one is
connected here?).

What an adventure it is working on computers, eh? At least now as I
reconfigure all this stuff, I can be assured (or at least talk myself
into believing) that my prefs will stay no matter who uses my computer.
Thanks, I love learning new things!

Kathy

Kathy Huntzinger

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
me, again, more confused than ever. There's obviously more here than
just the pcb file, and maybe this is even a Win95 question more than
anything else.

When I opened PowerPoint after switching the user profile in control
panel, it opened as the default, straight from the setup PPT. I made a
couple of changes to the toolbar, switched from that obnoxious paperclip
to my buddy Earl and closed. Like I said, I also had to change some of
the default desktop things too.

Next, I thought my favorite phrase "I wonder what will happen when I..."
and I restarted Windows and canceled past the network login script, so
that just my harddrive was accessed (no Windows login box appeared).
Surprise #1: My old desktop appeared. Surprise #2: PowerPoint came up
without the toolbar change (i.e., all default toolbars again) but WITH
Earl and not the clipboy. AND still only 1 pcb file to be found.
btw, I run ppt from my hard drive, even when I log into the network.

It's a puzzlement. Any ideas?
Kathy

update:
this is weird. There must be more going on than just the pcb files but I
sure don't understand what it is. Before I sent this message, I did
another "wonder what if" and closed windows and logged on normally
again. PPT starts WITH the changes I made earlier, desktop is the newer
setup, but the strangest thing is there are now TWO pcb files. I had
renamed the one before from (user).pcb to kathyh.pcb (my login name).
The kathyh.pcb was the file that showed up before when I logged onto the
network, and it was the only one that appeared when I started Windows
without logging on. But now when I log in again, there is the kathyh
file and another (user) file (Same username as before, but not mine).
The (user) file has the timestamp of the second starting of windows,
which would explain (maybe?) the old desktop configuration (but not the
ppt configuration). I haven't paid too much attention to how win95
works. Perhaps it's time to look into that a bit more.

Steve Rindsberg

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
I think you have to be logged in as the new user for the <newuser>.PCB file
to be created when you change the settings from the default. The Office
Assistants live in a world of their own, one that I don't visit often as
I'm allergic to them. <g> PowerPoint and the other Office apps sorta hook
into them, but I don't think they control them. When they're out of
control, NOTHING will stop them, short of murder. <g>