No text converter is installed for this file type

Daniel

May 20, 2008, 4:00:01 AM5/20/08
I have a file that a user wants to open in Powerpoint, but everytime it pops
up a an error message 'Powerpoint can't read the outline from file name. No
text converter is installed for this file type'. Does anyone had similar
problem but had already been resolved. Please note that Office 2007
Compatibility pack was installed and re-installed because to test if
re-install works or not. Thanks in advance.

Ute Simon

May 20, 2008, 6:03:28 AM5/20/08

Are you sure it's a PowerPoint file? I've seen that message, when someone
tries to open a PDF (with the wrong file extension) in PowerPoint. So
renaming the extension to .PDF and opening in Adobe Reader might be worth a
try.

Best regards,
Ute

--
Ute Simon
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team und PowerPoint-User-Team
"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Geetesh Bajaj

May 20, 2008, 8:41:04 AM5/20/08
Since PowerPoint says it cannot read the outline, is this a word processing
document or text file?

--
Geetesh Bajaj, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
http://www.indezine.com

Echo S

May 20, 2008, 10:35:18 AM5/20/08
Whenever I've gotten this error message, it's meant the file is completely
hosed. I've not been able to get any of the infomation out of it.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear...

You could try the things mentioned here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/HA011168781033.aspx It's not
been updated for 2007. Insert | Slides from File is now on the Home tab |
New Slide | Reuse Slides.

"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Enric Mañas

May 20, 2008, 12:37:10 PM5/20/08
Daniel,

żPowerPoint version?

Did you follow the advice? in

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466

regarding... -please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update
*before* downloading the Compatibility Pack.

Have you tested with *more than one* presentation?

http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=powerpoint+filetype%3Apptx&meta=

Can you save as pptx or ppts?

Very cordialmente

Enric
--
Enric Mańas [PowerPoint MVP]

"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> [...]

Paco

May 28, 2008, 8:51:01 AM5/28/08
I have the same problem.
Its a Windows Vista with office 2003 and office 2007 converter installed
(and updates).
I have tested with a Word 2007 file and it works.
I have tried to open the pptx file on a computer that has powerpoint 2007
and it works.
I have tried to convert the file to powerpoint 97/2003 format it works

But as soon as I try to open the pptx file on the vista machine with office
2003 and 2007 converter I get the "PowerPoint can't read the outline from
filename. No text converter is installed for this file type."

But I'm sorry to say I have yet no solution.

Echo S

May 28, 2008, 10:16:38 AM5/28/08
ooooooh, you know, that rings a bell.

The compatibility packs don't work unless all critical Windows updates have
been applied -- to Windows. I don't know if there were any Vista patches
required (there shouldn't have been, I don't think), but it would be worth
trying. See if installing all the latest Vista patches and service packs
resolves it.

"Paco" <Pa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Echo S

May 28, 2008, 3:24:24 PM5/28/08
Maybe this will shed some light?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

"Echo S" <msnews...@echosvoiceUGHSPAM.com> wrote in message

moniquecosman

Nov 21, 2008, 6:51:42 PM11/21/08
I have the exact same problem. I have vista and powerpoint 2007 on my laptop - everything is up to date with MS and Windows. I can't open a 2003 ppt file that contains an outline without getting that annoying msg. I can open the file easily with powerpoint 2003 that is installed on my old desktop computer. So the file is not corrupted. I just spent a 1/2 hour on a online chat with a MS tech - who was really nice but more concerned about my buying a service agreement than helping me solve this problem. Which by the way, happens to a lot of people, as you can see by searching for this error msg on google. If anyone at MS is listening to this, I hope they can help. I hope someone has solved the problem. In the meantime, I will continue to search the web for a solution and use my old computer to access the file. I'm going to try to delete the outline in a copy and see if that might work. Let you know how that turns out.

weifan

Oct 8, 2009, 12:48:26 AM10/8/09
I have a old laptop and move the file to one new computer. then this problem happened.It is strange

Danie wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

20-??-08

Extension Methods: How to use, what is possible and what is not
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/af95b76b-ed63-480c-b38a-16210fa91af0/extension-methods-how-to.aspx

Echo S

Oct 8, 2009, 8:37:53 AM10/8/09
Usually this means you have a corrupt file.

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00135.htm has some info.

Don't Miss the PPTLive User Conference! Atlanta | Oct 11-14

johnsmith

Mar 16, 2010, 10:31:02 PM3/16/10
I had the same problem. There is no specific answer, but if you powerpoint was saved under the old one (powerpoint 2003) than its best to go on a computer with this program and you could go from there. It may not work, but bless God for saving me from this problem.

Danie wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

20-May-08

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:00 AM
Danie wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type
I have a file that a user wants to open in Powerpoint, but everytime it pops
up a an error message 'Powerpoint can't read the outline from file name. No
text converter is installed for this file type'. Does anyone had similar
problem but had already been resolved. Please note that Office 2007
Compatibility pack was installed and re-installed because to test if
re-install works or not. Thanks in advance.

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:03 AM
Ute Simon wrote:

Are you sure it's a PowerPoint file?
Are you sure it's a PowerPoint file? I've seen that message, when someone
tries to open a PDF (with the wrong file extension) in PowerPoint. So
renaming the extension to .PDF and opening in Adobe Reader might be worth a
try.

Best regards,
Ute

--
Ute Simon
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team und PowerPoint-User-Team
Schon gesehen? www.ppt-user.de/blogger und www.ppt-tv.de
"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:41 AM
geeteshREMOVECAP wrote:

Since PowerPoint says it cannot read the outline, is this a word processing
Since PowerPoint says it cannot read the outline, is this a word processing
document or text file?

--
Geetesh Bajaj, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
http://www.indezine.com
http://www.ppted.com

"Daniel" wrote:

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:35 AM
Echo S wrote:

Whenever I've gotten this error message, it's meant the file is completely
Whenever I've gotten this error message, it's meant the file is completely
hosed. I've not been able to get any of the infomation out of it.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear...

You could try the things mentioned here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/HA011168781033.aspx It's not
been updated for 2007. Insert | Slides from File is now on the Home tab |
New Slide | Reuse Slides.

"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:37 PM
Enric Ma?as wrote:

Daniel,?PowerPoint version?Did you follow the advice?
Daniel,

?PowerPoint version?

Did you follow the advice? in

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466

regarding... -please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update
*before* downloading the Compatibility Pack.

Have you tested with *more than one* presentation?

http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=powerpoint+filetype%3Apptx&meta=

Can you save as pptx or ppts?

Very cordialmente

Enric
--
Enric Ma?as [PowerPoint MVP]

"Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi? en el mensaje

On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:51 AM
Pac wrote:

I have the same problem.
I have the same problem.
Its a Windows Vista with office 2003 and office 2007 converter installed
(and updates).
I have tested with a Word 2007 file and it works.
I have tried to open the pptx file on a computer that has powerpoint 2007
and it works.
I have tried to convert the file to powerpoint 97/2003 format it works

But as soon as I try to open the pptx file on the vista machine with office

2003 and 2007 converter I get the "PowerPoint can't read the outline from

filename. No text converter is installed for this file type."

But I'm sorry to say I have yet no solution.

"Daniel" wrote:

On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:16 AM
Echo S wrote:

ooooooh, you know, that rings a bell.
ooooooh, you know, that rings a bell.

The compatibility packs don't work unless all critical Windows updates have
been applied -- to Windows. I don't know if there were any Vista patches
required (there shouldn't have been, I don't think), but it would be worth
trying. See if installing all the latest Vista patches and service packs
resolves it.

"Paco" <Pa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:24 PM
Echo S wrote:

Maybe this will shed some light?
Maybe this will shed some light?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

"Echo S" <msnews...@echosvoiceUGHSPAM.com> wrote in message

On Friday, November 21, 2008 6:51 PM
Monique Cosman wrote:

text coverter needed for ppt 2007

[...]

On Monday, April 06, 2009 6:11 AM
chojrak11 wrote:

SOLUTION - the PPT file is truncated
In my case the file was delivered by FTP and it didn't transfer entirely, and the user didn't notice and tried to open it. The message was exactly like the original poster told.

Maybe this will save somebody's life ;-)

On Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:58 AM
Mike Hope wrote:

Solution: Rename as pptx
If someone has already saved it as ppt and you cannot load it, just rename the extension as .pptx.

It worked for me. Windows XP.

On Friday, July 24, 2009 4:43 PM
Mike Shelley wrote:

Powerpoint - will not open up "because no convertor for this file is installed"
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:15 AM
Amit Sanon wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:19 AM
Amit Sanon wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:24 AM
Amit Sanon wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

The converter pack and updates did not work for me either. So I installed the Microsoft Powerpoint 2007 viewer. Its available for free from the microsoft web site.

On Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:47 AM
wei fan wrote:

I have this problem too
I have this problem too

Mike Shelley wrote:

Powerpoint - will not open up "because no convertor for this file is installed"
24-??-09

You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Is SVG Cool?
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6bb8bd7d-25a1-4f33-8d5e-7120406f3385/is-svg-cool.aspx

I don't know how to solve

Danie wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

20-??-08

I have a file that a user wants to open in Powerpoint, but everytime it pops

up a an error message 'Powerpoint cannot read the outline from file name. No

text converter is installed for this file type'. Does anyone had similar
problem but had already been resolved. Please note that Office 2007
Compatibility pack was installed and re-installed because to test if
re-install works or not. Thanks in advance.

On Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:37 AM
Echo S wrote:

Usually this means you have a corrupt file.http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00135.htm
Usually this means you have a corrupt file.

Don't Miss the PPTLive User Conference! Atlanta | Oct 11-14

On Monday, March 15, 2010 11:59 AM
Kylii McNight wrote:

... what?
I have the same problem, but mine was actually created mostly on one computer and a bit on another. It worked on this computer yesterday...bear in mind, I'm still in school, so this is kinda confusing, and mine doesn't HAVE an extension that I can see. How do I change it?

How to display a Gravatar Image with 100 Percent Client Script Code
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3c8a04cd-471e-48b7-8dcc-b0877c10ecb4/how-to-display-a-gravatar.aspx

CJ Meiam

Aug 4, 2010, 5:40:52 PM8/4/10
I had same problem - file created on one computer, saved to USB drive, used on another computer, saved again with changes, wouldn't open on first computer. Both machines running WinXP, Office2003 Pro. Tried EVERYTHING recommended including MS's converters download (yes, we have ALL updates and security patches). Found this: http://www.officerecovery.com/powerpoint/download_demo.htm
AND IT WORKS!! Demo version doesn't get everything, but it got the most important stuff! Full version supposedly gets just about everything with minor limitations. They also have other office recovery tools for all MS office softwares.
Good Luck!!

Danie wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type
I have a file that a user wants to open in Powerpoint, but everytime it pops
up a an error message 'Powerpoint can't read the outline from file name. No
text converter is installed for this file type'. Does anyone had similar
problem but had already been resolved. Please note that Office 2007
Compatibility pack was installed and re-installed because to test if
re-install works or not. Thanks in advance.

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:03 AM
Ute Simon wrote:

Best regards,
Ute

?PowerPoint version?

Amit Sanon wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

The converter pack and updates did not work for me either. So I installed the Microsoft Powerpoint 2007 viewer. Its available for free from the microsoft web site.

On Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:47 AM
wei fan wrote:

I have this problem too
I have this problem too

Mike Shelley wrote:

Powerpoint - will not open up "because no convertor for this file is installed"
24-??-09

You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:48 AM

I don't know how to solve

Kylii McNight wrote:

... what?
I have the same problem, but mine was actually created mostly on one computer and a bit on another. It worked on this computer yesterday...bear in mind, I'm still in school, so this is kinda confusing, and mine doesn't HAVE an extension that I can see. How do I change it?

On Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:31 PM
john smith wrote:

No text converter is installed for this file type

I had the same problem. There is no specific answer, but if you powerpoint was saved under the old one (powerpoint 2003) than its best to go on a computer with this program and you could go from there. It may not work, but bless God for saving me from this problem.

On Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:04 PM
sudhir saraf wrote:

powerpoint issue
hi
i received the message

powerpoint can't read the outline from ......
no text converter is installed for this file type

Changing WCF Service Implementation at Runtime
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d9263dcc-f7ed-42f3-bc96-321461be3306/changing-wcf-service-implementation-at-runtime.aspx

Ricardo Cruz

Sep 28, 2010, 6:32:48 AM9/28/10
Just change the extension from .ppt to .pptx.
That worked well for me.

> On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:00 AM Danie wrote:

>> On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:03 AM Ute Simon wrote:

>> Are you sure it's a PowerPoint file? I've seen that message, when someone
>> tries to open a PDF (with the wrong file extension) in PowerPoint. So
>> renaming the extension to .PDF and opening in Adobe Reader might be worth a
>> try.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ute
>>
>> --
>> Ute Simon
>> Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team und PowerPoint-User-Team
>> Schon gesehen? www.ppt-user.de/blogger und www.ppt-tv.de
>> "Daniel" <Dan...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:41 AM geeteshREMOVECAP wrote:

>>> Since PowerPoint says it cannot read the outline, is this a word processing

>>> document or text file?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Geetesh Bajaj, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
>>> http://www.indezine.com
>>> http://www.ppted.com

Jillian Miller

Dec 7, 2010, 5:05:18 PM12/7/10
Are you using Google Chrome? I'm not sure why, but I was having the same problem when I downloaded a powerpoint file while using Google Chrome, but when I downloaded the same file on Firefox it worked.

ahmed kamal

Apr 22, 2011, 9:06:50 AM4/22/11
i have the same problem, how can i solve it please

Thanks

Steve Rindsberg

Apr 23, 2011, 11:11:41 AM4/23/11
In article <20114229...@terrranews.com>, Ahmed kamal wrote:
> i have the same problem, how can i solve it please

I'd start by trying the dozen or so suggestions below. If that doesn't help, it's likely that your
file's corrupted. For example, you can get this error message if the file's been truncated ... chopped
off at the end ... by an email glitch. In that case, there's not much you can do unless you can get
another copy of the file.

mflo...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2012, 11:26:26 AM1/17/12
Still had an issue after changing the file from a *.ppt to a *.pptx. I then decided to use an online file-converter to convert the new *.pptx back to a *.ppt. (Site I used was http://www.convertfiles.com/convert/document/PPTX-to-PPT.html). After the file successfully converted back to a *.ppt, I was able to open it without any errors.

Eddy Eng

Mar 15, 2012, 2:19:22 AM3/15/12
Not able to open up a ppt file on my MS office 2007 with the message " No text converter is installed for this file type"