How to Launch PP with task scheduler?

Steve Rindsberg

Aug 31, 2001, 11:56:52 AM8/31/01
> have many ppt files and I want to be able to launch in
> full screen mode, continueous loop, run and close them
> automatically.

You might be able to do this with Windows' task scheduler or with one of the
various (and often more capable) shareware substitutes for it. The main
trick is simply renaming your PPT file to have a .PPS extension. If you do
that, it'll launch immediately into slide show mode.

Tushar Mehta

Aug 31, 2001, 6:31:01 PM8/31/01
[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.powerpoint with an email
copy to Robert.
Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.]

That's an interesting idea.

I just tried what you want done with PP 2002 and the scheduler in
Win98SE. It worked like a charm. Since I don't know how much detail
you want, here's some info:

In PP, modify the PPT file so that it goes from slide to slide after x
seconds. Also change the option so that it loops continuously. Save
the file.

Create a Task Scheduler task. Use whatever dummy values get you set up
quickly. Right click the task and set the properties as follows:

In the Task tab:
The Run field:
"C:\Program Files\Office XP\Office10\POWERPNT.EXE" /s "e:\temp\ppt
\presentation1.ppt"
Note that the 2 lines in the newsreader are a single line in the run
field. Also, use the correct file names for your machine. Change
'start in' to an empty value.

In the Schedule tab:
Select the 'Schedule task' drop-down to monthly. Set the 'start time'
as appropriate. Set the day to the artist's birthdate. Click the
"Select Months' button and in the resulting dialog box select only the
month of the artist's birthday.

In the Settings tab:
Set the hours and minutes fields in the 'Stop this task if it runs for
[x] hours and [y] minutes' to appropriate values.

Save the scheduled task.

Copy this for different artists.

Any solution that might be 'easier' to create would require more --
probably, much more -- up-front investment in writing some kind of
program. Two possibilities:

First, code all the birthdates and corresponding files in a VBScript (or
JScript) program. That single proram would be initiated by Windows
Scheduler by running the Windows Scripting Host. Of course, now, one
would need to know VBScript (or JScript) programming. ;-)

Second, code all the necessary dates and corresponding files in a VBA
subroutine that is automatically run when PP is started. The subroutine
would decide which, if any, show should be run today. Now, start PP
through the Windows scheduler every day.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
--
In <1560f01c131ce$53c30bc0$9ee62ecf@tkmsftngxa05>, Robert
<rlowe...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Who I am and My Project:
>
> I am a public school teacher, and my students have been
> creating biographical PowerPoint presentations on artists
> as a part of our study of Art History. To start with I
> would like to display the student work in a library and
> have the presentations launch automatically on the
> specific date of the artist birthday. We will be creating
> other presentations that are related to historic events
> and will launch them to coincide with the aniversary of
> those events.
>
> What I need to Make it Work:

> have many ppt files and I want to be able to launch in
> full screen mode, continueous loop, run and close them

> automatically. Specific presentations will be scheduled to
> launch and run for a limited time and close until the next
> scheduled presentation. A calendar scheduler in needed as
> the content of the presentations will coincide with
> Birthdays and other significant historic events that
> occured on the launch time/date. I need a scheduler that
> will let me schedule several hundred ppt files.
>
> Because this is a tool that many teachers can use and show
> their students excellent work, your help in teaching us
> how to accomplish this will impact many students and
> other teachers as well. If you can show me how to do this
> I will share the idea with many teachers this fall at the
> National School Board Association technology conference in
> Atlanta, Georgia. Can you help us solve this technical
> problem?

Robert Lowe

Aug 31, 2001, 7:33:59 PM8/31/01
>Thanks Steve, do you have the name(s) of possible
substitute for windows task scheduler? I was looking at
it today and it didn't appear to have the scheduling
flexibility that I need. I'm off to change some file
extension. I appreciate your help!>

>.

Robert Lowe

Aug 31, 2001, 8:40:33 PM8/31/01
Tushar Mehta,

Thanks for your help. Did you see Steve Rindsberg's
suggestion. I just tried changing the extensions and with
one file, it not only opens full screen, it also shuts
down powerpoint to allow the next scheduled presentation
to open. I think this may work. I will try to schedule
two presentation and test it. Im slow at this :-0 Thanks
again.

Steve Rindsberg

Sep 1, 2001, 1:43:55 PM9/1/01
> >Thanks Steve, do you have the name(s) of possible
> substitute for windows task scheduler?

Not offhand, but a visit to one of the shareware sites should turn up
several.

Tushar Mehta

Sep 2, 2001, 11:13:14 PM9/2/01
For general consumption...

I got an email from Robert Lowe asking for clarification on some of the
points I'd mentioned in my post. As a reminder, the goal was to
automatically run a PP slide show about an artist on the artist's
birthday through the Windows Task Scheduler. Rather than furnish an
explanation through email, I put together a tutorial. It's accessible
from the PowerPoint page of my web site.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
--

In <592701c1327e$b5b26500$19ef2ecf@tkmsftngxa01>, Robert Lowe
<rlowe...@hotmail.com> wrote

Steve Rindsberg

Sep 4, 2001, 9:32:35 AM9/4/01
> explanation through email, I put together a tutorial. It's accessible
> from the PowerPoint page of my web site.

I've added a link to it from the PPT FAQ, Tushar. Thanks for mentioning it.