Wireless ActiveSync Attempt results in Error 0x80072EE2

Ben Strauss

Oct 12, 2006, 10:38:13 AM10/12/06
While the following problem occurred with a Palm Treo 700w, the below
workaround may apply to other Windows Mobile 5.0 devices suffering from
similar problems.
The problem appears to be endemic to particular devices and may be
related to the way a particular device handles USB connect/disconnect
events.

Symptom:
- ActiveSync DirectPush initially works correctly wirelessly.
- The Windows Mobile device is then connected to a PC via USB and
continues to operate correctly.
- Once the device has been disconnected, wireless synchronization
fails. ActiveSync times out and clicking "View Status" reveals a status
code of 0x80072EE2.
The device then refuses to sync wirelessly until a soft reset is
performed.

Further Details:
This problem is seen in configurations where the Exchange server being
accessed for synchronization has different external (i.e. public) and
internal (i.e. private) IP addresses which are normally resolved from
the same FQDN. (e.g. On the Internet echxg.foobar.com might equate to
99.88.77.66 while on the inside of a NATed network with an internal DNS
it might equate to 10.9.8.7.)

Cause:
The issue appears to have to do with the Windows Mobile DNS cache not
being cleared properly upon a wired/wireless state transition when the
USB cable is unplugged. When connected to a PC running the desktop
ActiveSync software a Windows Mobile device has proxied wired access to
the corporate network and performs a DNS lookup of the Exchange
server's FQDN against the internal DNS. This address appears, however,
to remain in the cache even after disconnecting the USB cable and thus
moving back to the public (internet) address space. ActiveSync on the
Windows Mobile device then fails, as the server's internal address is
inaccessible. (A soft reset naturally clears the DNS cache.)

Workaround:
Disable the Windows Mobile DNS cache. This requires a registry
modification. Windows Mobile does not include a registry editor, but
free third-party editors are available (such as one from www.phm.lu).

Change the value of:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\DnsCacheEnabled
to 0
If DnsCacheEnable does not exist, create it as a DWORD value.

A soft reset is necessary for the change to take effect.

dwchow

Oct 23, 2006, 9:20:02 AM10/23/06
THANK YOU SO MUCH.... I was wondering why all this started happening after
installing a godaddy (Starfield) certificate; you don't know how many hours I
was searching. Kind of cracks me up that it was right in front of my face
(the solution that is).

I AM FREE!!!!!!

bl

Feb 6, 2007, 7:28:01 PM2/6/07

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\DnsCacheEnabled
> to 0
> If DnsCacheEnable does not exist, create it as a DWORD value.
>
> A soft reset is necessary for the change to take effect.

Is it DnsCacheEnabled or DnsCacheEnable ? Thanks.

Amanda

Mar 15, 2007, 11:53:31 AM3/15/07
I used DnsCacheEnable and the problem was fixed.

ljt100160657

Mar 28, 2007, 12:38:02 PM3/28/07
I'm pretty sure that your advice below will work for me however I am having
some trouble downloading the registry editor from phm.lu that you referenced
below. I am having the exact problem below on a Palm Treo 700wx. I have gone
to the phm site and download the version for a smartphone and indicate that I
wanted it downloaded through activesynch. The file is running but it doesn't
appear as an available application to download in synch so I am wondering if
I am selecting the right version, or even whether I should be uploading it
through activeshynch. Any guidance you can provide on this, or alternative
sites for a registry editor would be appreciated.

bump

May 4, 2007, 11:59:04 AM5/4/07
I have a 700wx too. Download the Pocekt PC 2002/2003 ARM selection and you
will get a CAB file. Copy the cab file to your pocket pc temp directiory and
execute from there. The MSI installer would not install on mine.

VBE

May 4, 2007, 9:58:08 PM5/4/07

VBE

May 4, 2007, 10:02:01 PM5/4/07
I have a new (replacement )Treo 700 wx and get this message on attmpting to
sync:
0x80072ee4 The server could not be reached. This can be caused by temporary
network conditions. Exchange Server reports an internal error. Typically,
this condition is temporary. Try to synchronize again later.

However, I am not using exchange server, but just syncing between my
notebook outlook files and my Treo. The message will eventually 'clear' and
the activesyn icon will start again but the files never sync - the process
just keeps repeating itself. The folks at Sprint are clueless as to a
solution - they have had me replace the phone twice. Anyone have a solution?

PD

Oct 17, 2007, 7:31:00 PM10/17/07
THANKS! I have a Toshiba Portege G900 with Windows Mobile 6 (WM6) and I
needed this to get my ActiveSync to connect to our Exchange once disconnected
from my PC.
Only the value is named DnsCacheEnable.

Hey, Microsoft guys! Can you please fix this in a future version? I think
it's nothing Aperture Science would have to help with. :-)

SpentTheWholeDay

Nov 9, 2007, 3:21:00 PM11/9/07
Just so that anyone looking at this has something else to try....

We have and "Exchange Setup" and instead of using the name
(mail.whatever.net) I input the IP address of the mail server. Give that a
shot, you never know. Just ping you mail server and put that number in.

Good luck!

Alger

Nov 20, 2007, 8:42:01 PM11/20/07
"instead of using the name (mail.whatever.net) I input the IP address of the
mail server."

This won't work if using an SSL cert.

Even after modifing the registry, I still have to reboot to sync to our
Exchange 2007 server after I've disconnected from a PC. Any other
suggestions? Thanks all, -A

Alexander

Jan 10, 2008, 4:34:01 AM1/10/08
Hi to All

I really thank all the participants for help info, but it didnt fix my
problem I am having the same situation.

I did all the things change the registry but it doesnt work
can anyone tell me what should i do to fix the sync problem?

Alexander

Jan 10, 2008, 4:49:00 AM1/10/08
By The Way the software from www.phm.lu didnt work so I tryied the
MobileRegistryEditor.exe (which requires Netframework 1.1. to change the
registry. It worked but think its the matter of value
I used the DnsCacheEnabled now I will try the DnsCacheEnable hope it will work

I will write my situation later.

Alexander

Jan 10, 2008, 7:18:02 AM1/10/08
unfortunatelly I am facing the same problem
(
any other suggestions?

01635@discussions.microsoft.com Ben 01635

Feb 4, 2008, 10:57:03 AM2/4/08
I was having a similar problem with my HTC TyTN II running WM6 on Active Sync
4.5. Whilst I could sync to the PC without any problems I couldn't connect to
the Exchange Server, the dreaded trying to connect notice came up and would
take about 5 minutes before telling me the server couldn't be reached. I
tried the registry editor but this didn't resolve the issue. I then removed
all the previous USB sync credentials and tried to set up the Exchange sync
again - Still no joy!
Through much trial and error I found a fix! - Go to
Settings/Connections/Connections and choose Advanced settings. Click the
Select Networks button and choose 'My ISP' under the drop down box for
'Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect
using.....'
I know this doesn't make any logical sense but it worked for me, so If this
solution can help anyone who has been tearing their hair out over this I will
be happier than I was when I discovered it myself!!!
My phone now syncs with Exchange as requested and doesn't have any issues
after using USB to sync the PC.

Good Luck!!!

SHERRY

Mar 13, 2008, 10:56:04 PM3/13/08
HOW DO I FIX MY COMPUTER

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 14, 2008, 1:08:33 PM3/14/08
Are you saying that you have the same problem? Just shouting a random
sentence isn't going to help anyone, including you.

Paul T.

"SHERRY" <SLIMB...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

Bamso

Apr 9, 2008, 9:53:02 AM4/9/08
I and a couple of others in the office are having the same problem, well we
get the same error code anyways, but none of the above solutions seems to do
the trick, we're pretty sure it's something server side since it affected 3
phones at once.

Does anyone have any idea to what else it could be, we're getting pretty
frustrated over this.

Thanks in advance.

@discussions.microsoft.com Daneen

May 6, 2008, 9:18:00 PM5/6/08
Thank you so much!!! This worked for me as well.

PetterO

Aug 22, 2008, 7:33:01 AM8/22/08
Still not working for me. I have SBS2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2. It worked
fine until a month ago, then all phones (6 HTC TytnII) stopped syncking.
Error msg 0X80072EE4 on the phone. No message on the server. I havnt used
cable to sync on the phones at all, just wireless GPRS.

Petter

A Khan@discussions.microsoft.com Naveed A Khan

Sep 2, 2008, 6:19:53 AM9/2/08
My mobile device is HTC HERM 250, I was connecting via USB cable to Vista 32
Bit. Windows Mobile Device Centre would only sync once after a soft reset but
never again.
The fix has worked for me except;
1. I had trouble downloading the registry editor from www.phm.lu so I
downloaded CeRegEditor ver 0.0.4.4 from http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/
2. The DnsCacheEnable with value 0 had to be created at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
3. I have not tried DnsCacheEnabled, it may work or may not.
I am happy my phone syncs every time I connect via the USB cable.

Thanks for the great tip.

APS2008

Oct 7, 2008, 11:53:00 PM10/7/08
We are having the same problem, have tried all the above mentioned but
nothing. We have a number of Titan HTC-PPC6800 PDA's. When we sync through
the PC USB/Active sync everything syncs fine. When we try to sync over the
wireless we always get an error 0X80072EFD meaning the network is currently
busy try again later. If we restart our exchange server it will work for an
hour then not connect again. Any help appreciated,Thanks.

hicks

Jan 19, 2009, 7:31:01 PM1/19/09
Wow, Ben, this did fix my problem - and I'm as puzzled as you as to why this
would do it.