Activesync 4.1 4841, WM5 & IPSEC/VPN

betoX

Nov 20, 2005, 5:50:53 AM11/20/05
I need to use Activesyc 4.X because I have an imate JASJAR with WM5.

I deinstalled the Activesync 4.0 that came with the imate, and installed the
new OFFICIAL version 4.1 build 4841 from microsoft, mainly because the no
official 4.1 versions where full of issues.

NOW I have a bigger problem!!!

Connect my latop with WLAN @ home and launch my IPSEC/VPN Client application
to connect to my corporate network and be able to use outlook email.

Try to activesync the imate and the IPSEC/VPN Client gets disconnected with
the message "Connection Terminated. Eacfilt driver must be enable on the
interface(s): Microosft RNDIS virtual adapter miniport."

Following the 'automatic' activesync, if I disconnect from the imate I can
again reconnect the VPN Client.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris De Herrera

Nov 20, 2005, 10:34:35 AM11/20/05
Have you tried going into the network connections and adding the IPSEC/VPN
client to the network adapter that ActiveSync is using? It is the RNDIS
interface.

BTW what IPSEC/VPN client are you using? If this resolves the problem, I
will document it on the ActiveSync Troubleshooting Guide -
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/tshoot-as4x.htm

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com

"betoX" <beto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

betoX

Nov 20, 2005, 11:57:52 AM11/20/05
Hi Chris, thanks for the hint, but where could I find the RDNIS interface? I
checked my "Network Adpaters' Device Manager" and I can see it.

FYI, I'm using a Nortel Contivity VPN Client.

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Chris De Herrera" <sp...@pocketpctalk.com> wrote in message

Chris De Herrera

Nov 20, 2005, 7:01:25 PM11/20/05
The RNDIS adapter only shows up when the Windows Mobile 5.0 device is
plugged in.

Let me know if you can add your VPN so it will allow you to work again.

"betoX" <beto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

betoX

Nov 22, 2005, 3:21:12 AM11/22/05

I can see now in the 'Device Manager' the 'Windows Mobile-based Device #9',
but I can't see where to change the RNDIS parameters.
I'm sorry about it, but may be you can let me know where to find the full
process?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm planning to upgrade my PC to Windows XP, as I'm currently with
Windows 2000 Pro.

"Chris De Herrera" <sp...@pocketpctalk.com> wrote in message

betoX

Nov 22, 2005, 7:30:35 AM11/22/05
Further to my previous email, I have checked in the following
troubleshooting web page of microsoft this procedure, but only applies to
Wndows XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx

any possibility to have it for Windows 2000 Pro?

Thanks again.

"betoX" <beto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Carl Wolz [MSFT]

Nov 23, 2005, 6:59:15 PM11/23/05
There are issues with some VPN products, in which traffic destined for the
device, ends up being sent to the VPN server and discarded. Can you work
with your company's IT group in resolving this?

>Connection Terminated. Eacfilt driver must be enable on the interface(s):

>Microsoft RNDIS virtual adapter miniport."
With ActiveSync 4.1, the RNDIS driver only binds to the IPV4 and IPV6
protocols. The Windows CE RNDIS won't bind to the Eacfilt miniport driver
(it's not needed for device connectivity).

Can you contact the "Nortel Contivity VPN Client" vender, and see if there
is a solution? If not, there is two ways left. One, to use the 4.0 WceRndis
driver, if this worked with 4.0. The second is to use BlueTooth.

To downgrade the driver, delete the OEMx.inf that has "%WindowsCeDevice%
= RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\Class_EF&SubClass_01&Prot_01" and a DriverVer that is at
the end of October 2005, in the windows/inf directory. BE CARFULL THAT YOU
ONLY DELETE THIS FILE!!!

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

betoX

Nov 29, 2005, 4:13:13 PM11/29/05
I'm sorry for the time to answer this, but for another reason I had to
reinstall from scratch all my OS and PC setup.

I have installed Windows XP Pro (before I had Windows 2000 Pro). The issues
with activesync when connected through USB cable and VPN remains the same as
before !!??!! I had tried together with my IS Team to follow the
troubleshooting instructions at microsoft web page
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx but
without success.

I also installed a Bluetooth dongle (Belkin Bluetooth v2.0). With that I
don't have problems with the VPN client but if I don't start the PC with the
dongle attached, the activesync want to setup a partnership. If the dongle
is connected from boot startup this message doesn't appears.

Activesync is painful and a nightmare!!! With my old iPaq 4350 and WM2003
doesn't had these issues.

Thanks in advance for your support.

"Carl Wolz [MSFT]" <ca...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Carl Wolz [MSFT]

Nov 29, 2005, 11:43:57 PM11/29/05
The VPN client software provider needs contacted as to why it is necessary
to bind the miniport driver with the devices network interface. It is not
needed in anyway. There are other venders of VPN software that doesn't have
this issue.

This new connection technology is necessary to support features such as
USB2.0, IPV6, multiple device support, Terminal services support.

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"betoX" <beto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Nov 30, 2005, 7:35:45 AM11/30/05
>> This new connection technology is necessary to support features such
as USB2.0, IPV6, multiple device support, Terminal services support. <<

May I respectfully suggest that "justification" at this point is
irrelevant, and potentially inflammatory... the core point is that the
users now have serious problems generated by these AS4 changes where
only the specifics of solutions to those problems should be the focus here.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Nov 30, 2005, 7:46:30 AM11/30/05
My apologies... did not see that the op had specifically requested this
information.

betoX

Nov 30, 2005, 4:55:16 PM11/30/05
I'm sorry but I can't change my VPN Client.

With my iPaq 4350 and WM2003 I never had this type of issues. I can
understand that MSFT wants to have better security within the ativesync
interface, but I can't understand the number of issues (I should call it
nightmares..!!) that are causing to customers that wants to use WM2005...
like me..!!!

regards.

"Carl Wolz [MSFT]" <ca...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Carl Wolz [MSFT]

Nov 30, 2005, 6:13:55 PM11/30/05
I understand that you can't change your client. But perhaps the VPN vender
can provide an update that will fix this issue.

We at Microsoft are trying to identify the issues people are seeing and
provide a solution. It is difficult to work around certain issues in some
software people choose.

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"betoX" <beto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

betoX

Dec 1, 2005, 4:53:27 AM12/1/05
I can't understand that MSFT updates software that is NOT compatible
backwards.

In 2 years is the first time I'm honestly thinking on giving up Windows
Mobile!!!

What a real nightmare you are creating with all users!!! an example, have a
check of this forum...