Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Feb 18, 2008, 3:41:24 PM2/18/08
Receiving the following error when sending emails. No problems receiving
emails, just sending:

ISP (orange) claims it's a microsoft problem!

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Name', Server:
'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Anybody got any ideas?

Bruce Hagen

Feb 18, 2008, 3:48:03 PM2/18/08
Revealing the entire error message would not put you in jeopardy. Make sure
your account settings are correct.

Configure Outlook Express for Orange.co.uk:
http://help.orange.co.uk/resultDisplay.do?gotoLink=161&docType=1006&contextId=863:161.205,209.258&docPropValue=kb79&clusterName=DefaultCluster&contentId=159016b1-a4bd-4727-b32e-52d01c39454b&responseId=8d2e8ca9895d3ec8:100ebec:115482544f9:-639e&groupId=1&answerGroup=2&score=737&page=http://ESERVER_d5296e42-4fba-4431-992d-0f00615005b5.xhtml&result=1&excerpt=what+settings+do+I+enter+in+Outlook+Express?&resultType=5002#Goto161

Another explanation of the error can be e-mail scanning.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving, and
causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting changes
and has even been responsible for lose of messages. Your up-to-date A/V
program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In some cases, you must remove the program and reinstall in custom mode,
opting out of e-mail scanning when you see the option.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"t" <t...@here.com> wrote in message

Feb 18, 2008, 4:07:49 PM2/18/08
fair comment.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Freeseve', Server:
'193.52.22.140', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Happens also with server set as smtp.orangehome.co.uk

Have tried to send with Firewall down and anti-virus email plugin disabled.

Will try again with firewall AND anti-virus shutdown. And, if unsuccessful,
followed by a reinstall of AVG without email scanning.

cheers

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

Feb 18, 2008, 5:23:46 PM2/18/08
the complete removal (including computer restart) and reinstallation of avg
without the email component appears to have resolved the issue.

However, this problem has been intermittent over a number of weeks so i'll
just have to see how it goes.

thanks for your help and advice re email scanning - not exactly a microsoft
problem i would say.

cheers

"t" <t...@here.com> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Feb 18, 2008, 5:30:53 PM2/18/08
YW. I get that error when my ISP is having problems. Works one minute, and
not the next. Eventually it's fixed, for a few days, weeks or months. It
could be that.

How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813514&Product=oex

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"t" <t...@here.com> wrote in message

Feb 18, 2008, 6:44:03 PM2/18/08
orange has been causing me no end of connectivity problems since late-Jan
when they unexpectedly upgraded my connection to 8mb. I requested a
downgrade to 2mb (cheaper and with a greater download limit) and it's been a
nuisance ever since. It's fine while the connection is active but
disconnects when idle. It shows as being connected but i have to disconnect
and reconnect to access any online services.

They won't provide me with my MAC code without a hefty penalty. I'm hoping
now that they do not resolve the issue by 27/02 when legally they will have
to free me of my contractual obligations without forfeit. What are the odds
it'll be sorted on the 26th!

it's no surpise to me that there's an 'orangeproblems' website!

thanks for the lnk - bookmarked for future reference.