"The selected message(s) could not be moved. An error has occurred."

Mr.LuckyMe

Feb 28, 2008, 8:38:04 PM2/28/08
I use Outlook Express to read my Hotmail account and I sometimes move an
e-mail from the Hotmail Inbox to my Local Folder Inbox. A couple of months
ago; I strarted having problems moving the messages and I receive the
following error "The selected message(s) could not be moved. An error has
ocurred"

What is the problem?

Thanks

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 28, 2008, 9:37:22 PM2/28/08
General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

See if doing the first 3 above help at all.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Mr.LuckyMe

Feb 29, 2008, 3:06:41 AM2/29/08
Robear,

Thanks for your answer.

I was archiving e-mails in the Local Folder Inbox, now I created a local
folder called Archive where I could move my e-mails from my Hotmail account
and most of the e-mails from the Local Folder Inbox, but there are still
some that I cannot move and I receive the same error. What can I do to move
the rest of the e-mails? I can read those e-mails without any problem, when
I was trying to move one e-mail accidentally I marked as not read and I
could not marked as read.

Do you have any suggestion for archiving my e-mails?

Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 29, 2008, 11:04:55 AM2/29/08
Access to Hotmail accounts in OE has always been a "beta service" (MSN's
terminology) and there is no support whatsoever. If the Hotmail server
gives you the "messages could not be moved" error, there's not much you can
do about it...other than try to send a Copy of the message to another
folder.

You can create a new Hotmail folder at the webmail page then use it for
archiving (online and in OE). When you do so, the folder will appear in OE,
too. Do NOT add the new folder in OE. This can be handy if you need access
to a message when you're not using your own machine.

In case you've not already done so: IE (yes, IE, not OE) Tools | Internet
Options | Privacy | Sites | type in...

live.com [and]
hotmail.com [and]
msn.com

...then Allow cookies for each domain, in turn.

Mr.LuckyMe

Feb 29, 2008, 2:40:14 PM2/29/08
Robear,

Once again thank you for your answer, but now the error message is with the
Local Folders in OE, no with the Hotmail folders.

I can open and read the messages in the Inbox in OE Local Folders, but I can
not move them to another Local Folder.

Do you know something about ABC Amber Outlook Converter?

Thanks,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 29, 2008, 2:48:29 PM2/29/08
> Do you know something about ABC Amber Outlook Converter?

Stay away from it. Have you used this application?

How many messages are in the default Inbox folder?

Have you compacted all OE folders?

Bruce Hagen

Feb 29, 2008, 2:51:19 PM2/29/08
Open the Inbox and see if you can move the messages after checking: File |
Work Offline & View | Layout: Uncheck the Preview Pane.

If you can't move message out of the Inbox, it is corrupt, probably from
bloating.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the Inbox.dbx file and rename it to Inboxold.dbx. A
new, empty, Inbox will be created automatically when you open OE.

Use one of these tools to extract the messages from the old Inbox.

Macallan Outlook Express Extraction:
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#macallan

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress: {much faster for large files}
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Mr.LuckyMe" <mart...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mr.LuckyMe

Feb 29, 2008, 3:16:27 PM2/29/08
> Stay away from it. Have you used this application?
No, what do you sugest to archive my e-mails, as they are getting close to
2000

> How many messages are in the default Inbox folder?
358

> Have you compacted all OE folders?
Yes

Thanks,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 29, 2008, 6:30:30 PM2/29/08
You can archive messages in user-created local folders.

You can then import these folders into a new identity (File | Identities |
Add new identity).

You can drag & drop individual messages (EML files) to a Windows folder
you've created for such purposes.

Etc., as described in my replies to this thread:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=31893

Mr.LuckyMe

Mar 1, 2008, 1:52:32 PM3/1/08
Bruce,

Thank you for your answer, I think the Inbox in corrupt.

I want to archive my e-mails, in such a way I can search easily, as I can do
it with Outlook and Outlook Express, but as I already have over 2000 e-mails
in both programs (one for my hotmail account and the other one for a POP3
account), I don't think is a good idea to have them in several folders as
the pst and dbx files are already over 2 Gb.

What do you suggest, I took a look at ABC Amber Converter but Robear thinks
I should stay away from this program.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> escribió en el mensaje

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 1, 2008, 2:15:34 PM3/1/08
I have not found ABC Amber Converter to be a worthwhile back-up tool for OE.
Other users have had issues after dragging EML files created by ABC Amber
Converter into an OE folder. Otherwise, I have no opinion.

Without using any utilities, you can drag an individual EML file or groups
of EML files to a Windows (not OE) folder for archiving. The EML files will
open with OE and can be dragged back into an open OE folder, should the need
arise.

Bruce Hagen

Mar 1, 2008, 2:31:12 PM3/1/08
The size of the message store, (all the dbx files), is not important. It is
the size of individual dbx files. We usually suggest keeping them under
100MB each, but if it is only for archiving, 200MB is plenty safe.

I would just create multiple folders and move the messages to them. They can
all be sub folders of another, even the Inbox, so you don't lose space on
the folder tree.

You could also create another identity solely for archiving and import the
message to it. It doesn't have to have all the server info if it is just for
archiving.

You can save them to your HDD if you wish.

One way to save an entire folder to your HDD quickly is this. You can store
them any place you want, but I'll use the Desktop as an example.

Right click on the Desktop | New | Folder. Create as many as needed, and for
now, put them on the left side of the Desktop.

Open OE and drag the window to the right enough to see the folder you
created on the Desktop. Open the folder in OE and click on one message.
Ctrl+A will highlight them all. Left click on the messages and drag them to
the folder on the Desktop.

You can also be selective by holding the Ctrl key and just highlight certain
messages and then drag them to the folder on the Desktop.

Once you confirm they are in these folders, you can delete them from OE if
you wish, and follow up with a Compact All Folders.

If you keep them in OE, use a program such as this to backup everything in
OE.

This freeware tool backs up everything in OE in seconds. Disregard what is
written in red. That is referring to a different program.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):

Most important, you /must/ compact often, especially after moving or
deleting messages as the space in the dbx files that was used is not
reclaimed until you do. If you compact now, that may even free up your
Inbox, but I would still move everything out of it.

When you get messages, either read them and delete them, or move them.

To compact:

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Mr.LuckyMe" <mart...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mr.LuckyMe

Mar 2, 2008, 1:37:56 AM3/2/08
Robear,

As I see the problem moving the e-mails to a Windows folder is that you
loose the ability to search by sent to or from.

As I don't use very often some of the messages, I would like, for example,
to move them to a DVD and somehow be able to search fast and easy for a
specific message.

Is there any utility you know that works for OE and Outlook?

Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 2, 2008, 2:08:45 AM3/2/08
A1. Yes, that is a drawback.

A2. OE cannot use (i.e., read or search) data on a DVD.

A3. No.
--
~PA Bear

Ron Sommer

Mar 2, 2008, 6:15:53 AM3/2/08
Can an 'Archive' Identity.
Import folders from the old Identity.
Switch to the 'Archive' Identity when you want to look at an old message.
--
Ronald Sommer