"Message could not be displayed" when a "find" used on a big folde

VV

Sep 18, 2006, 8:12:01 AM9/18/06
When I use a "find message" on a big OE folder (I have some folders that are
500 MB+ and 50K+ messages) the system occasionally reports when I try to open
a message from the search results

"Message could not be displayed
Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again."

My memory and disk space are quite big. Compacting folders does not resolve
the problem. Swithcing off antivirus software does not resolve either.

Please do not advise to keep my e-mail folders smaller - this is the way I
handle email (the total amount of all my folders is about 6 Gb)

Gary S. Terhune

Sep 18, 2006, 11:26:55 AM9/18/06
OK, I won't advise you to keep folders smaller. I'll advise you to use a
different email client -- like Outlook. OE is simply not built to handle the
usage you insist upon.

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"VV" <V...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nick

Sep 18, 2006, 1:50:32 PM9/18/06

"VV" <V...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

This is not the first post where the poster indicates a problem but then
says that they are not prepared to accept the advice on the way they handle
their information.

You presumably wouldn't ask a consultant about some problem and then
proscrible certain solutions.

Nick

Michael Santovec

Sep 18, 2006, 5:26:55 PM9/18/06
When that occurs, if you close out the find function and then go the
folder and locate the message via the message list does it open OK?

I would suspect that your folder is corrupted. You could create a new
folder in OE and copy the existing messages to that folder and then see
if the find function works OK there.

VV

Sep 18, 2006, 7:12:01 PM9/18/06
"Nick" wrote:

> This is not the first post where the poster indicates a problem but then
> says that they are not prepared to accept the advice on the way they handle
> their information.
>
> You presumably wouldn't ask a consultant about some problem and then
> proscrible certain solutions.
>
> Nick

Yes, I am asking about a problem that has boundary conditions. The
conditions are not sort of whimsy as the amount of mail I handle is not
extraordinary high. A normal e-mail client for an internet professional must
be able to handle that.

Therefore the answer "OE is simply not built to handle the usage..." - is
what I perfectly accept. It's just a bit strange that having produced quite
an advanced e-mail client MS with a number of sofisticated features MS
engineers did not solve the trivial problem of max file size or max no. of
messages.

VV

Sep 18, 2006, 7:22:02 PM9/18/06
"Michael Santovec" wrote:

> When that occurs, if you close out the find function and then go the
> folder and locate the message via the message list does it open OK?
>
> I would suspect that your folder is corrupted. You could create a new
> folder in OE and copy the existing messages to that folder and then see
> if the find function works OK there.

Actually the behavior seems to be indeterminate. E. g. if I try several
times to open the message from the search results it may fail 3 times,
succeed on the fourth time, then start to fail again (with the same error
message)

I noted that the problem persists on any big folder (tens of thousands of
messages), or when a big folder is a child folder and "include subfolders" is
checked. The problem is easily repeatable and I saw it on different computers
for many years.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Sep 18, 2006, 7:48:06 PM9/18/06
"VV" <V...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The larger a folder is the more apt it is to become corrupted.

If a DBX file gets up to 2 GB it won't work anymore.

A DBX file greater than 100 MB is asking for trouble.

If you don't like these facts use a different mail client.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Steve Cochran

Sep 19, 2006, 4:04:05 AM9/19/06

"VV" <V...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The problem was that OE was written back in 1997 and they haven't done a
major update. The dbx file structure is very susceptible to corruption and
was not tested or intended back then to be so highly scaleable. The larger
the message folder size, the more trouble it becomes. I have folders of 2
and 300 megabytes, but I wouldn't go over 500 unless I backed it up daily,
and don't really need to.

The next iteration of OE, Windows Mail in Windows Vista, is much improved
over the ancient OE, and hopefully, will handle the larger message store and
folder sizes without the same issues.

steve