OE Server Error 998 Error number 0x800CCC33

Joni

Sep 26, 2009, 4:50:33 PM9/26/09
I have OE 6
Windows XP
How can I correct Server Error

My hotmail and my OE mail do not seem to be working together. I have
deleted and taken out trash on hotmail but I still see e-mails that were
deleted in hotmail in OE mail. and cannot delete them.

Note I have recentely uninstalled and reinsdtalled McAfee that came with my
msn premium account and uninstalled Spysweeper. Could this cause any
problems with OE mail?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 26, 2009, 6:27:17 PM9/26/09
This all happened on 01 September.

First, see...

Continuing DAV protocol retirement (02 Jun-09)
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!50889.entry

Now see.

Sending reported error (0x800CCC33): "Access to the account was denied.
Verify that your username and password are correct. The server responded
'forbidden' (02 Sept-09)
http://windowslivehelp.com/community/t/108226.aspx

FAQ: Accessing Hotmail on mail programs (04 May/03 Sept-09)
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/dav/archive/2009/05/04/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

The separate set of Hotmail-specific folders you're used to having in OE
(illustration:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPics/t01220030403shu01_C.gif)
are no longer available now that WebDAV support has ended and you're
accessing the account via POP3.

All of the folders remain available via the webmail page:
http://mail.live.com.

NB: You CANNOT edit your current Hotmail account in OE to enable POP3
access, you will have to create new one.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Joni

Sep 26, 2009, 9:34:31 PM9/26/09
Thank you for your help. I do not recall ever having received and e-mail
stating this was happening in September. After checking all your links, the
question remains What if I don't want any e-mail information to appear in
Outlook Express, but I still want to use OE for the newsgroups? Would it
have to be uninstalled then would it come back with just Newscroups? I'm
not even sure if it can be uninstalled without uninstalling Windows XP since
I do not see it listed in Add Remove.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ron Sommer

Sep 26, 2009, 9:48:50 PM9/26/09
You can add /newsonly to the OE shortcut to make OE start without email
accounts and the email folders.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"Joni" <m...@spanfree.com> wrote in message

Joni

Sep 26, 2009, 10:33:00 PM9/26/09
Thanks but I must be doing something wrong. How exactly do I do that. I
tried renaming the shortcut Outlook Express /Newsonly but that doesn't work.
and trying to run it with that name doesn't work either.

Also I see I now have alot of bak files in the recycle bin after trying
unsuccessfully to delete e-mails from OE. Is it ok to empty them from the
recycle bin.
"Ron Sommer" <rso...@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

Ron Sommer

Sep 26, 2009, 10:45:24 PM9/26/09
Right click on the shortcut, Properties. Change the target.
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsonly

--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"Joni" <m...@spanfree.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2009, 12:42:39 AM9/27/09
> ...I do not recall ever having received and e-mail

> stating this was happening in September.

Others have said that, too. Nevertheless, WebDAV access is no longer
available, period.

> ...What if I don't want any e-mail information to appear in

> Outlook Express, but I still want to use OE for the newsgroups?

OE Tools | Accounts | Mail: Select (highlight) the Hotmail account & press
the Remove button.

NB: Doing so will remove all of your Hotmail-specific folders and their
contents from OE!! If you want to keep those folders around, just disable
the account:

OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [Hotmail account] | Properties | General |
Include this account when... (uncheck).
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com