Re: OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0 IN LOOP?

Bruce Hagen

Nov 25, 2006, 11:54:22 AM11/25/06
First: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a
redundant layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending, and
causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs and account setting
changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you
sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

If still no joy:

You have one message on the server that is causing this jam. Does your ISP
have a WebMail location where you can read the messages on the Website? If
you can, it is probably message #4 that needs to be deleted.

While you are there, you might as well read and delete any messages you
don't need and now see if they will download.

If you still have a problem, or can't access WebMail, do the following as
the message causing the problem is probably a large one.

Tools | Message Rules | Mail | New.

Where the message size is more than size
Delete it from the server
Click on size and set it for 50KB

Try to download now. This rule will remove any message over 50KB and the
rest should download.

Remember to remove the rule when you're done, or leave it there for the
future, but uncheck it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"NANA MARSHA" <NANAM...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the past 3 days my Outlook Express 6.0 has been trying to receive
> about
> 67 messages. Each time it receives 3 and it is the same 3 I received 3
> days
> ago and then it just stops receiving. The dialog box shows "receiving 3
> of
> 67" and hangs up there. No more messages are received and then I get an
> error message that my server has not responded in the time allowed (I
> think
> it says 120 seconds but am not sure). I have received the same 3 messages
> about a hundred times over the past 3 days and none of the remaining
> messages. What can be wrong with this? It is the first trouble I have
> had
> since I bought a new system back in March or April of this year. The only
> thing different is that Internet 7 was supposedly auto-downloaded by my
> automatic updates. But the version still shows as 6 when I click the
> "about"
> button on the toolbar.I know there are good messages "out there" waiting
> for
> me to receive them. My boss said he sent me a message Wednesday and I
> still
> have not been able to receive it due to this "loop" my system seems to be
> going through. I have read a few posts on this site but cannot find an
> answer to what I should do to correct this situation. To begin with I
> posted
> on the wrong discussion board and that delayed my cry for help for a full
> day. I am desperate to fix my email.
> HELP!!!!!!!

NANA MARSHA

Nov 25, 2006, 12:55:02 PM11/25/06
Now I cannot even get any messages on email. When I hit send/receive I keep
getting error messages that say: Socket error: 10053 ERROR NUMBER:
OX800CCC0F. I reinstalled Internet 7 and my internet is working fine.
Everything else on the system is working except my email. I am going to try
the steps you supplied below. Thank you so much, Bruce. I am not a computer
savvy person but I am going to try what you suggest.
Nana Marsha

NANA MARSHA

Nov 25, 2006, 1:12:01 PM11/25/06
I tried the message rule thing but my rule options did not have the 50KB
option - it had lines as the option. I chose 50 lines. Now I am getting a
different error message when I send/receive. The new error is "The connection
to the server has failed. Account: 'Marsha Wells', Server: '127.0.0.1',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0E
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to take my tower to the Geek Patrol at
Best Buy where I bought the system? I hve the disc to reinstall Microsoft
Ooffice Edition 2003. Do I need to do anything with that? I have a lot of
stuff in my email folders I would not want to lose but will do so if I can
get my email back.
Can you tell me what to do?
Thanks in advance.

Bruce Hagen

Nov 25, 2006, 1:22:17 PM11/25/06
You choose the 50KB option. The rule is there to be created by you.

Tools | Message Rules | Mail | New.

Where the message size is more than size
Delete it from the server
Click on size and set it for 50KB

But, did you uncheck e-mail scanning? That is the most likely culprit.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"NANA MARSHA" <NANAM...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Nov 25, 2006, 2:02:56 PM11/25/06
If you turned off email scanning in your anti-virus and the 127.0.0.1 was
not replaced with the correct server names you will have to enter the
correct names manually and Tools | Accounts | <account_name> | Properties |
Servers.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com