Outlook 2003 Security Template - "The access levels on this security setting cannot be saved..." error!

roya...@hotmail.com

Nov 16, 2005, 5:09:39 PM11/16/05
I am trying to use the Outlook Security Template from the Office 2003
Resource Kit to amend the default security settings for all my clients
on Exchange 2003 -

I have created a public folder named "Outlook Security Settings",
published the form in it and changed the Client Permissions to allow
everyone read and myself write access to the folder.

I then open the form normally from Outlook 2003 (New -> Choose Form ->
Outlook Security Settings -> Outlook Security Form), but when I try to
save my settings (or click on the Close button on the form), I get the
following error:

"The access levels on this security setting cannot be saved, probably
because of an invalid password. This setting is currently set as a
default setting for all users. You should either delete the setting, or
save it again, and type the correct password."

Indeed the Readme file suggests that:
"In previous versions of Outlook, every time a setting was created the
administrator would be prompted twice for credentials. This is no
longer the case. In Outlook 2003, the administrator will be prompted
for credentials only the first time they save a setting. Subsequent
saves will not prompt for credentials until the administrator shuts
down and restarts Outlook."

My problem is that Outlook has never prompted me for ANY password. This
has been tried on different machines with different user accounts and
not once have I been prompted for a password when trying to save the
security settings.

Any ideas? This is driving me mad!

Exchange 2003 - SP2 running on SBS2003
Outlook 2003 SP1 & SP2

Thanks

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Nov 18, 2005, 9:55:55 AM11/18/05
Are you using an Outlook 2003 profile configured for Cached Exchange mode? If so, create a new profile that connects without the cache. That should work better.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Tara

Dec 2, 2005, 2:05:28 PM12/2/05
I have the same issue and my profile is not using Caced Exchanged mode
and I even went to another computer and same thing.

Any more ideas?
Thanks.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Dec 2, 2005, 2:20:32 PM12/2/05
I'd probably try starting over with a new folder.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP