SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60

JaR

Feb 4, 2008, 7:33:31 PM2/4/08
I've been seaching for days for a solution to this one.

I have two users on seperate XP Sp2 computers that can no longer send
mail. We have been changing workstation logins and these two were fine
until I set up their e-mail in Outlook under the new logon. Then the
above error started showing up on one box and 0x800cccoe on the other.
The sever settings are correct, and I can set up their account on a
different box and it will work fine. I found a discussion about McAfee
blocking SMTP traffic in some situations, so I disabled McAfee on one
of the computers, to no avail. I went to the extent of installing
Thunderbird on one box, and configging it with the user account in
question, and it would not work either, so it seems to be a problem
with the box itself or with XP rather than with Outlook. I should
mention that these two users are the only ones out of several dozen
that were changed over with no problems.

Well, okay, not with *this* problem ;-)

The third-party server that we use for e-mail replies "connect failed"
on port 25, even if I telnet from a working box, so I can't tell if
that's the issue. Windows firewall is turned of on all boxes, as we are
behind a company firewall.

I have tried rebuilding the accounts, reinstalling Outlook, and even
did a repair re-install of XP on one of the boxes.

Any of you Outlook gurus ever seen this one before?

--
JaR
When the very best is not nearly enough

Uncle Grumpy

Feb 4, 2008, 7:41:43 PM2/4/08
"JaR" <j...@wendle.com> wrote:

>The third-party server that we use for e-mail replies "connect failed"
>on port 25, even if I telnet from a working box, so I can't tell if
>that's the issue. Windows firewall is turned of on all boxes, as we are
>behind a company firewall.

Check with the ISP to see if port 25 is disabled. It's a common port
used by spammers.

JaR

Feb 4, 2008, 7:53:04 PM2/4/08
On 2/4/2008,Uncle Grumpy had the unmitigated gall to claim:

No, it works fine on 135 out of 137 other computers here. But thanks
for the response.

JaR

Feb 4, 2008, 8:00:10 PM2/4/08

> On 2/4/2008,Uncle Grumpy had the unmitigated gall to claim:

Ju-das priest.

Please disregard the sarcastic sounding line above. I posted from an
identity I use in other, less serious newsgroups.

Very sorry.

--
JaR

John

Feb 4, 2008, 8:07:15 PM2/4/08

"JaR" <j...@wendle.com> wrote in message

> The third-party server that we use for e-mail replies "connect failed"
> on port 25, even if I telnet from a working box, so I can't tell if
> that's the issue. Windows firewall is turned of on all boxes, as we are
> behind a company firewall.

If I understand you correctly, you telnet from a PC (which has no problem
sending email) to 3rd party mail server thru port 25. The result is "connect
failed". Is that correct? If this is correct, I doubt you're connecting to
3rd party SMTP server thru port 25. Perhaps you're connecting thru an
uncommon port.

> Any of you Outlook gurus ever seen this one before?

I don't think this is an Outlook issued. This sounds more like firewall (or
connection) problem.

JaR

Feb 5, 2008, 11:46:18 AM2/5/08

> "JaR" <j...@wendle.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The third-party server that we use for e-mail replies "connect
> > failed" on port 25, even if I telnet from a working box, so I can't
> > tell if that's the issue. Windows firewall is turned of on all
> > boxes, as we are behind a company firewall.
> >

> If I understand you correctly, you telnet from a PC (which has no
> problem sending email) to 3rd party mail server thru port 25. The
> result is "connect failed". Is that correct? If this is correct, I
> doubt you're connecting to 3rd party SMTP server thru port 25.
> Perhaps you're connecting thru an uncommon port.

I don't know. All the other clients are sending email fine with Outlook
set to port 25 for SMTP. I just re-tried on this machine, which uses
the same settings for e-mail, is set to use port 25 outbound, is able
to email out just fine, and yet when I try to telnet the
server(GoDaddy) on port 25, , the result is "connect failed". Our
firewall is not blocking telnet, as I can reach my home server from
here.

> > Any of you Outlook gurus ever seen this one before?
>
> I don't think this is an Outlook issued. This sounds more like
> firewall (or connection) problem.

I know it's not Outlook specific, as I mentioned, I set up a
Thunderbird client on one of the affected machines, and was unable to
connect as well. Firewalls are disabled on both machines, as they are
by GP on all our machines, as we are behind a company firewall. All
other machines have SMTP working. As far as the connectivity of the two
boxes in question is concerned, they both can access the internet, and
POP is unaffected.

The reason I posted in here is because I thought it possible that
others had seen the same problem and found a solution that worked for
Outlook.

There are no other problems with the two boxes other than SMTP out.

--
JR

Remove hat to reply

K. Orland

Feb 5, 2008, 12:04:03 PM2/5/08
Error 0x800ccc60 translates to SMTP_RESPONSE_ERROR. Invalid response.
Error 0x800cccoe is usually related to SSL. Check to see if your POP3 server
IP or name has been changed to the local loopback (usually done by your
antivirus software). Verify server authentication in the account properties.

Regarding antivirus, disabling the integration with Outlook may not be
enough. You may have to actually uninstall it, restart, and reinstall it and
leave out the email scanning configuration.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

John

Feb 5, 2008, 1:13:33 PM2/5/08

"JaR" <jrd...@lakabux.com> wrote in message

> I don't know. All the other clients are sending email fine with Outlook
> set to port 25 for SMTP. I just re-tried on this machine, which uses
> the same settings for e-mail, is set to use port 25 outbound, is able
> to email out just fine, and yet when I try to telnet the
> server(GoDaddy) on port 25, , the result is "connect failed". Our
> firewall is not blocking telnet, as I can reach my home server from
> here.

That is weird. I don't mean to insult your intelligence but you entered the
command like the following:

telnet your-smtp-server-name 25

didn't you? Just want to make sure. Also try telnetting to the IP address of
your SMTP server on port 25.

> The reason I posted in here is because I thought it possible that
> others had seen the same problem and found a solution that worked for
> Outlook.
>
> There are no other problems with the two boxes other than SMTP out.

Someone mentions uninstalling AV product on the 2 problem PCs and test it
without AV installed. Worth a shot.

Good luck.

JaR

Feb 5, 2008, 3:12:59 PM2/5/08

> Error 0x800ccc60 translates to SMTP_RESPONSE_ERROR. Invalid response.
> Error 0x800cccoe is usually related to SSL. Check to see if your POP3
> server IP or name has been changed to the local loopback (usually
> done by your antivirus software). Verify server authentication in the
> account properties.

The settings are correct in Outlook. I've even deleted the accounts and
reset them.

> Regarding antivirus, disabling the integration with Outlook may not
> be enough. You may have to actually uninstall it, restart, and
> reinstall it and leave out the email scanning configuration.

Thanks for that. I'll give that a try this afternoon.

Funny. When I had two machines do this at the same time, I figured this
was going to be something common.

I guess that's what I get for thinking;-)

JaR

Feb 6, 2008, 11:12:26 AM2/6/08

Well, things just get wierder. Also I learned something new about our
firewall. I figured the firewall wasn't blocking outbound telnet,
because I could get into my home server on port 23 and our POP server
on 110, but the SMTP server returned "fail to connect" on 25. I tried
to connect from a box outside our company net and connected just fine
to the SMTP server on 25. Now I need to figure out how the heck the
firewall blocks telnet on port 25 but allows SMTP outbound on the same
port.

But that's another story, possibly for another group.

I uninstalled McAfee on the two boxes in question, and the one with the
socket error now connects and sends e-mail normally. Thank you K.Orland!

The other box is still unable to connect to the server and is still
returning 0x800ccc60 error.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. Any more ideras on the remaining
box would be most welcome!

JaR

Feb 6, 2008, 11:15:06 AM2/6/08

> egarding antivirus, disabling the integration with Outlook may not be
> enough. You may have to actually uninstall it, restart, and reinstall
> it and leave out the email scanning configuration.

Thank you! That did indeed work on one machine. See my response to John.

--
JaR
Remove hat to reply

John

Feb 6, 2008, 11:53:33 AM2/6/08

> Now I need to figure out how the heck the
> firewall blocks telnet on port 25 but allows SMTP outbound on the same
> port.

Perhaps it's not your firewall. It's the PC. Something in that PC is
blocking outbound traffic on port 25.

JaR

Feb 6, 2008, 12:32:20 PM2/6/08
> > Now I need to figure out how the heck the
> > firewall blocks telnet on port 25 but allows SMTP outbound on the
> > same port.
> >

> Perhaps it's not your firewall. It's the PC. Something in that PC is
> blocking outbound traffic on port 25.

Heh, not to muddy the issue, but I was testing the telnet connectivity
from a different box. One with working SMTP.

But I agree, from all indications, it looks like there is something on
that particular computer that is blocking outbound port 25. I'm stumped.

Next step is gonna be nuke & pave, I'm afraid.

Heck, at least we figured one of them out ;-)

Thanks again.

cardenejereza

Jan 12, 2010, 4:54:43 PM1/12/10
try to change your outgoing port 25 to 587, your ISP may be blocking your port 25 as it may recognize you as a spammer especially if you are sending bulk message.

JaR wrote:

SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60
04-Feb-08

On Monday, February 04, 2008 7:33 PM
JaR wrote:

SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60

On Monday, February 04, 2008 7:41 PM
Uncle Grumpy wrote:

Re: SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60
Check with the ISP to see if port 25 is disabled. it is a common port
used by spammers.

On Monday, February 04, 2008 7:53 PM
JaR wrote:

Re: SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60

On 2/4/2008,Uncle Grumpy had the unmitigated gall to claim:

No, it works fine on 135 out of 137 other computers here. But thanks
for the response.

--

JaR
When the very best is not nearly enough
Remove hat to reply

On Monday, February 04, 2008 8:00 PM
JaR wrote:

Ju-das priest. Please disregard the sarcastic sounding line above.
Ju-das priest.

Please disregard the sarcastic sounding line above. I posted from an
identity I use in other, less serious newsgroups.

Very sorry.

--
JaR

On Monday, February 04, 2008 8:07 PM
John wrote:

Re: SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60

"JaR" <j...@wendle.com> wrote in message

If I understand you correctly, you telnet from a PC (which has no problem
sending email) to 3rd party mail server thru port 25. The result is "connect

failed". Is that correct? If this is correct, I doubt you're connecting to
3rd party SMTP server thru port 25. Perhaps you're connecting thru an
uncommon port.

I don't think this is an Outlook issued. This sounds more like firewall (or
connection) problem.

On Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:46 AM
JaR wrote:

I don't know.

[...]

On Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:04 PM
KOrlan wrote:

Error 0x800ccc60 translates to SMTP_RESPONSE_ERROR. Invalid response.
Error 0x800ccc60 translates to SMTP_RESPONSE_ERROR. Invalid response.
Error 0x800cccoe is usually related to SSL. Check to see if your POP3 server
IP or name has been changed to the local loopback (usually done by your
antivirus software). Verify server authentication in the account properties.

Regarding antivirus, disabling the integration with Outlook may not be

enough. You may have to actually uninstall it, restart, and reinstall it and
leave out the email scanning configuration.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"JaR" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 05, 2008 1:13 PM
John wrote:

Re: SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60

"JaR" <jrd...@lakabux.com> wrote in message

That is weird. I don't mean to insult your intelligence but you entered the
command like the following:

telnet your-smtp-server-name 25

didn't you? Just want to make sure. Also try telnetting to the IP address of
your SMTP server on port 25.

Someone mentions uninstalling AV product on the 2 problem PCs and test it
without AV installed. Worth a shot.

Good luck.

On Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:12 PM
JaR wrote:

The settings are correct in Outlook.
The settings are correct in Outlook. I've even deleted the accounts and
reset them.

Thanks for that. I'll give that a try this afternoon.

Funny. When I had two machines do this at the same time, I figured this
was going to be something common.

I guess that's what I get for thinking;-)

--

JR
Remove hat to reply

On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:12 AM
JaR wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:15 AM
JaR wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you! That did indeed work on one machine. See my response to John.

--

JaR
Remove hat to reply

On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:53 AM
John wrote:

Re: SMTP Error # 0x800ccc60
Perhaps it is not your firewall. it is the PC. Something in that PC is

blocking outbound traffic on port 25.

On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:32 PM
JaR wrote:

Heh, not to muddy the issue, but I was testing the telnet connectivityfrom a
Heh, not to muddy the issue, but I was testing the telnet connectivity
from a different box. One with working SMTP.

But I agree, from all indications, it looks like there is something on
that particular computer that is blocking outbound port 25. I'm stumped.

Next step is gonna be nuke & pave, I'm afraid.

Heck, at least we figured one of them out ;-)

Thanks again.

--
JaR
Remove hat to reply

A Better CAPTCHA Control (Look Ma - NO IMAGE!)
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/79e023b6-124f-4f63-865c-6d357cddbe56/a-better-captcha-control.aspx

Peter Foldes

Jan 13, 2010, 11:56:18 AM1/13/10
Another deadhead from egghead

--
Peter

Kathleen Orland

Jan 13, 2010, 12:15:23 PM1/13/10
Have you set SMTP authentication to be the same as your POP3 authentication?

Peter Foldes

Jan 13, 2010, 7:07:24 PM1/13/10
Kathleen

The OP was answering a 2 year old post.