Receiving blank text files instead of Attachments

Jonathon L. Schrader

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Hello,

you'll have to forgive me if I'm in the wrong place as I'm kind of new to
this newsgroup thing :>)

Anyway, my main problem is that, when receiving an email message from
someone (usually using Outlook Express) into my Outlook program, I will get
the entire text message, and then an attachment file at the bottom called
'att000x.txt' of size 59 bytes. This is an empty text file. the number
000x is different based on the message.

I am currently having this problem using Outlook 2000, but I seem to recall
having some similar problems using Outlook 98.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jonathon L. Schrader

Chris Burnham

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Hmmm, OE and OL2K should be (mostly) compatible in terms of formats. Do
you happen to know what mail format the sender is using? (plain text,
rich text, or HTML). Another thing to check is if the sender is using
any special characters from the Windows Character Map. They tend to get
lost between mail servers and can result in that blank attached file you
are receiving.

One final thought--is the message being sent to you FORWARDED from
someone else? (like a joke) I have all sorts of formatting problems
when I receive jokes that have been forwarded 3 or 4 times with no
"clean up" on the extra characters and removing the ">>" that show up.

--
Answers to many of the questions commonly asked here can be found in
Microsoft's Outlook FAQ:

Do you use McAfee VirusScan? Download the VS4.0.2 service pack 2 from:
ftp://ftp.mcafee.com/pub/antivirus/win9x/svc_pack/v98sp402.zip

Regards,
Chris Burnham
Grand Rapids, MI

Jonathon L. Schrader <jlsc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Diane Poremsky

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
are the messages going thru a corporate mail server, possibly exchange
server?

I get a good number of messages with the text attachments like that that
are passing thru corporate mail servers.. most are exchange servers but
some are others... in many cases, it's a font encoding problem.. the
user is using something other than western European(iso)..

Jonathon L. Schrader

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
Chris:

It seems as though the software is doing the same thing with both HTML and
text file messages. I don't think that there are any character map
questions as the file is not a traditional document format. . We are
collaborating on a report project for our graducation from Western Michigan
University, and it is a electrical engineering design program document. As
for the forwarding, the file is not being forwarded. The sender is the
original creator of the document.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathon

Chris Burnham <cbur...@iserv.net> wrote in message

> Hmmm, OE and OL2K should be (mostly) compatible in terms of formats. Do
> you happen to know what mail format the sender is using? (plain text,
> rich text, or HTML). Another thing to check is if the sender is using
> any special characters from the Windows Character Map. They tend to get
> lost between mail servers and can result in that blank attached file you
> are receiving.
>
> One final thought--is the message being sent to you FORWARDED from
> someone else? (like a joke) I have all sorts of formatting problems
> when I receive jokes that have been forwarded 3 or 4 times with no
> "clean up" on the extra characters and removing the ">>" that show up.
>
> --
> Answers to many of the questions commonly asked here can be found in
> Microsoft's Outlook FAQ:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/outlook/faq/ol98/
>
> Do you use McAfee VirusScan? Download the VS4.0.2 service pack 2 from:
> ftp://ftp.mcafee.com/pub/antivirus/win9x/svc_pack/v98sp402.zip
>
> Regards,
> Chris Burnham
> Grand Rapids, MI

Chris Burnham

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
A follow-up to this--I just received a mail message from a colleague who is
using OE4 and I got the same blank attachment, except mine is 68KB in size.
The message has a Word file attached, so I'm wondering if the attached file
might have something to do with the inexplicable attachment.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer as to WHY this is happening, but at least
you know it's not isolated to just you.

--
Best,