Outlook 2007 won't open in normal or safe mode. PLZ HELP!!

dko123

Apr 20, 2009, 9:04:20 PM4/20/09
My Outlook (2007) will not open in normal mode. It doesn't give any error
codes or anything, just closes. I tried opening it in safe mode and it still
did the same thing. I ran Detect and Fix and still the same thing happens.
All other Microsoft Office programs open. HELP PLEASE

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Apr 20, 2009, 9:27:58 PM4/20/09
Did you try a new profile?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"dko123" <dko...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DL

Apr 20, 2009, 9:58:02 PM4/20/09
Safe mode? that was outlook safe mode & not windows safe mode?

Profile: Via the mail applet in the control panel

> How would I go about doing that? I can't even get into outlook to change
> anything.

dko123

Apr 20, 2009, 10:08:12 PM4/20/09
Yes, that was outlook safe mode. I just created a new profile from the
control panel, and it opened up once ok, but then the same problem started
happening again, and I double checked to make sure that it's opening under my
new profile.

dko123

Apr 20, 2009, 9:49:01 PM4/20/09
How would I go about doing that? I can't even get into outlook to change
anything.

DL

Apr 21, 2009, 3:25:46 AM4/21/09
Open Outlook in safe mode, disable/remove all none MS Addins, then try
normal mode again

"dko123" <dko...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rich F

Apr 28, 2009, 8:41:01 PM4/28/09
Help! I am having the same problem. I tried safe mode, etc., still NG. Not
going to bother with changing profile, since it doesn't seem to work.

I just did the Tuesday Vista/Office 2007 patches for today, 4/28 (a big
update). Then the problem reared its ugly head.

Currently using my Hotmail acount via Explorer, since my normal email
account (via Outlook) won't start.

HELP!! I rely on email to try and get back into the workforce. . .

Rich F

Apr 29, 2009, 7:45:01 AM4/29/09
I'll answer my own reply above for the next person. Here's what worked!
(after killing five hours. . . )

I relaunched Outlook a number of times and got the failure each time. It
offered to open in safe mode, to no avail. . . (sigh)

After about the fourth attempt, an MS Office Diagnostics tool popped up and
inspected the entire office installation, RAM, and the Hard drive, etc. Nice
tool, but it found no errors.

I looked at other stes for answers.

I ran the "ScanPST.exe" (in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFfice 12) for
each of the PST files that I have open in
C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook)

Some suggested to launch "Outlook /Clearviews" from the "Run" (or Vista
Search) line. That didn't seem to work as I got an error for invalid
commandline argument.

I then launced "Outlook /Safe" (even though Outlook automatically offered
to do that on numerous prior occasions).

To my TOTAL SURPRISE, it did a few diagnostic things and rebuilt the
datafiles and proceeded into outlook without any issues! Go figure.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Apr 29, 2009, 8:22:44 AM4/29/09
"Rich F" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Some suggested to launch "Outlook /Clearviews" from the "Run" (or Vista
> Search) line. That didn't seem to work as I got an error for invalid
> commandline argument.

Because the switch is /cleanviews, not /clearviews
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Rich F

Apr 29, 2009, 9:38:06 AM4/29/09
Thanks! Time for new eye glasses :-)

One more interesting point, it was noted on some posting that the
"Sleep/Suspend" feature of Windows laptops messes with outlook upon resuming
normal operations as the system resources can get heavily taxed and
oerloaded. I used the suspend feature for the first time yesterday. I can't
help but wonder if that caused the original mixup.

And: just as an FYI, using the ScanPST.exe fixed mistakes that it claimed
to find, but that did not resolve the outlook crash. The "/safe" switch
seemed to be the only thing to do the job.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

Apr 29, 2009, 4:53:54 PM4/29/09

> And: just as an FYI, using the ScanPST.exe fixed mistakes that it claimed
> to find, but that did not resolve the outlook crash. The "/safe" switch
> seemed to be the only thing to do the job.

A good sign you have a misbehaving add-in.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Rich F

Apr 29, 2009, 5:13:01 PM4/29/09
Something I didn't indicate:

Now, Outlook starts normally, but yes, it did a rebuild of some kind and
that seems to have fixed it. . . .