How do I turn a scanned handwritten document into text?

TeaPatch

Jan 2, 2010, 11:48:01 PM1/2/10
I would like to be able to scan pages in a handwritten journal, and be able
to edit them as text in MS Office (OneNote or Word).
I have MS Office 2007 + MSO 2003, also OneNote 2007. I use a pen and tablet,
so I can manually use handwriting in the Office Programs. I have a scanner.
I have tried the Document Imaging program in MSO Tools, that scans a typed
document in TIFF format. However, handwritten documents don't seem to work.
Surely, there must be a solution Out There?

Knightnet

Jan 8, 2010, 7:06:40 AM1/8/10
On Jan 3, 4:48 am, TeaPatch <TeaPa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

It should "just work". You should be able to use the pen to write and
OneNote should do the conversion in the background. Note though that
it might take a while to occur as it is a background process. To
manually kick it off, I think you can select the drawing and "Treat
selected text as handwriting". Should should then have an option to
copy the text.

Regards, Julian Knight
http://it.knightnet.org.uk, http://www.totallyinformation.com

Rainald Taesler

Jan 9, 2010, 8:07:45 AM1/9/10
Knightnet wrote:
> TeaPatch wrote:

>> I would like to be able to scan pages in a handwritten journal, and
>> be able to edit them as text in MS Office (OneNote or Word).
>> I have MS Office 2007 + MSO 2003, also OneNote 2007. I use a pen and
>> tablet, so I can manually use handwriting in the Office Programs. I
>> have a scanner. I have tried the Document Imaging program in MSO
>> Tools, that scans a typed document in TIFF format. However,
>> handwritten documents don't seem to work. Surely, there must be a
>> solution Out There?
>
> It should "just work". You should be able to use the pen to write and
> OneNote should do the conversion in the background. Note though that
> it might take a while to occur as it is a background process. To
> manually kick it off, I think you can select the drawing and "Treat
> selected text as handwriting". Should should then have an option to
> copy the text.

YES, this works.
But that's something totally different from what the OP is after:
He wants OCR for imported images (TIFF format) resulting from scanned
documents with handwriting.

ON has automatic OCR for images. But AFAIK this does not work for images
with handwritten sources.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Jan 10, 2010, 1:38:41 PM1/10/10
TeaPatch wrote:
> I would like to be able to scan pages in a handwritten journal, and
> be able to edit them as text in MS Office (OneNote or Word).

This would require some most sophisticated OCR (optical character
reading) software which is able to work on handwriting.

> I have MS Office 2007 + MSO 2003, also OneNote 2007. I use a pen and
> tablet, so I can manually use handwriting in the Office Programs.

Yes this works fine.

> I have a scanner. I have tried the Document Imaging program in
> MSO Tools, that scans a typed document in TIFF format. However,
> handwritten documents don't seem to work. Surely, there must be a
> solution Out There?

No solution in Office.
You are mixing things when trying an analogy from handwriting on a
TabletPC. This works with electronic "ink" and this does not mean that
an *image* would be the result.
For ink the OS has character recognition built in.

Totally different with results of scanning which are *images* (normally
TIF-files).
To create text out if that, OCR is needed. There is quite a number of
OCR-programs on the market.
The "Document Imaging" tool of Office provides very basic OCR which can
not be compared to *professional* OCR software. It does not have the
recognition of handwriting.

OneNote has automatic OCR built-in for images. But it also does not
work for handwriting.

So you are out of luck with what you have. You need to get a
professional OCR software which offers the recognition of handwriting. I
do not have an overview on the market. So I can not recommend anything.
But you may google around for "OCR handwrit".

But how about a different way?
One can scan directly into OneNote (Insert | Picture ...).
The result would be a non-editable image.
But perhaps that might be sufficient .The more as you could make
annotations/comments - even with the pen.

HTH
Rainald