Error: Failed to Unregister SRG File

Robert_Proffitt

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
1. Tell us the Access error! The most common error is that Access License
thing. There's a fix handy for that one.
2. Use Eraser97 if you really want to wipe out Office and start again.

Bob

Sanjay Singh <san...@standss.com.fj> wrote in message
> I have been tryinf to reinstall Office 97 on my computer. For some reason
> Access 97 is unable to run. I have tried to uninstall Access but got the
> following error message:
>
> Failed to unregister .srg file
>
> After several attempts I was able to remove Access and then reinstall it.
> However I am still unable to use it as it shoutws down as soon as clipit has
> finished notifiying of new addition in this version.
>
> In addition I when I click go to setup now, the installed programs of MS
> Office are incorrectly displayed in the Add/Remove screen.
>
> All I want to do is uninstall MS Office and then reinstall it. I have
> already reinstalled Windows 98 to see if this would help but to no avail.
>
> I really do not want to have to reformat the computer. Are there an other
> solutions.
>
> Please help.
>
> Sanjay Singh

Robert_Proffitt

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Sanjay,

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/8/23.asp

I must ask: Do you know of the Microsoft Knowledge Base?

After some usage, it does begin to yield answers.

> There is no Access Error as such. Access starts, the ClipIt Helper is
> displayed. When I click on start Using Access 97, Access simply shuts down.
>
> Plus, the details of the MS Office 97 installation in the setup screens are
> not correct. I think uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office 97 is the best
> alternative.
>
> Therefore what is Erasure 97 and where can I get it.
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> Sanjay

Sanjay Singh

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Sanjay Singh

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
There is no Access Error as such. Access starts, the ClipIt Helper is
displayed. When I click on start Using Access 97, Access simply shuts down.

Plus, the details of the MS Office 97 installation in the setup screens are
not correct. I think uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office 97 is the best
alternative.

Therefore what is Erasure 97 and where can I get it.

Thanks for you help.

Sanjay

Robert_Proffitt <NONSPAMRobe...@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> 1. Tell us the Access error! The most common error is that Access
License
> thing. There's a fix handy for that one.
> 2. Use Eraser97 if you really want to wipe out Office and start again.
>
> Bob

Sam & Theresa

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Robert_Proffitt wrote:

> Sanjay,
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/8/23.asp
>
> I must ask: Do you know of the Microsoft Knowledge Base?
>
> After some usage, it does begin to yield answers.
>
> Bob
>
> Sanjay Singh <san...@standss.com.fj> wrote in message
Bob,
I too have access problems. I presently have word 95 installed but have
at one time installed word 97 in an effort to correct my access problem
(didnt help). Can you tell me whether this Eraser program will be
effective for word 95 also? As for my problem I don't seem to have any
files under the user tab in the ODBC Data Source Administrator. When I
click "ADD" I go to "Create New Data Source" (only entry is "MS Access
Driver (*.mdb)", and click "FINISH" I get "The set-up routine for the
MS Access driver (.mdb) ODBC driver could not be loaded due to Sys error
code 1157" Click "OK" and it say: "Couldnt load set-up or translator
library." Click "OK" and Im back where I started.
??????????????Help!??????????tnx, sam

Robert_Proffitt

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Since you have a backup of your data, do it.

Bob

Sam & Theresa <sambo...@wave-net.net> wrote in message

Sam & Theresa

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Please elaborate, where might I find this back up?

Robert_Proffitt wrote:

> Since you have a backup of your data, do it.

Robert_Proffitt

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
At first reading I think "Are they kidding me?"

But then I remind myself that only users that have lost their hard drive data
once ever backup their work.

At this point I must ask you to find a good backup solution before proceeding
any further.

Bob

Sam & Theresa <sambo...@wave-net.net> wrote in message

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Hi Sanjay,

FWIW, there are several situations where you might get that message
most seem to be with trying to run uninstall after the
original Setup glitched a bit.

If you've had Office2000 on this machine?
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/5/84.ASP

If you've installed Outlook98
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q183/2/64.ASP

There are other cases, (change from Run from CD to run from PC
and installing on Windows2000) that can produce this as well.

But as Bob Proffitt points out, removing Office97 with the
procedure he pointed to should give you a cleaner start :)

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Hi Sam,

The MS Eraser utility wasn't introduced until Office97.
To do a complete removal of Office 7/95 you might want
to look at the file o7remove.txt in the Office 7/95
Files library at http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

However, I suspect that in this case the problem you're
having is from mismatched DLLs between the Office97 and
Office95 versions you're using. In many cases rerunning
the DATAACC.EXE from the \valupack\ on the Office97 CD
may fix it. If not, see if the articles you get by email
from MSH...@microsoft.com using Subject: Q159793 Q163998
help you out (don't go by the article titles <g>).

--
~~~~~~~~~
Hope that helps,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeforum
MS Office/Word MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and it pays big dividends*

Sanjay Singh

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Thank you for your help. I have used the knowledge base but was probably
using the wrong key words (srg did not give me what I was looking for)

Regards

> Sanjay,
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/8/23.asp
>
> I must ask: Do you know of the Microsoft Knowledge Base?
>
> After some usage, it does begin to yield answers.
>
> Bob
>

> Sanjay Singh <san...@standss.com.fj> wrote in message

> > There is no Access Error as such. Access starts, the ClipIt Helper is
> > displayed. When I click on start Using Access 97, Access simply shuts
down.

> > Plus, the details of the MS Office 97 installation in the setup screens
are
> > not correct. I think uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office 97 is the
best
> > alternative.
> >
> > Therefore what is Erasure 97 and where can I get it.
> >
> > Thanks for you help.
> >
> > Sanjay
> >
> > Robert_Proffitt <NONSPAMRobe...@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. Tell us the Access error! The most common error is that Access
> > License
> > > thing. There's a fix handy for that one.
> > > 2. Use Eraser97 if you really want to wipe out Office and start again.
> > >
> > > Bob

Robert_Proffitt

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Sanjay,

Again you didn't supply an error message. Just some mention of "problems."

But the general feeling I get is that you may have some "international" version
of Windows and will need a matching version of Office.

You may want to obtain a replacement CD from MS so you have the full SR2 cd?

And it's time to call MS to check if you need a matching version of Office?

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you aren't running some Antivirus or other programs
during install?

> I have tried using Eraser97 and also setupfix. Although these programs have
> run to completion, my problems have not been solved.
>
> I still can't start MS Access 97. Even Word 97 seems to have disappeared
> now.
>
> I really don't want to format the drive because it has some special software
> that was installed and configured by overseas consultants.
>
> My problem still is that I cannot uninstall and then reinstall MS Office 97.
> Any other ideas.
>
> Sanjay

Sanjay Singh

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99