Office 2007 Install Error 2203

Tom

Jan 9, 2007, 1:39:00 AM1/9/07
I have had Vista x64 RC1 running with Office 2007 Beta. I've now upgraded to
Vista x64 Ultimate RTM. In attempting to reinstall Office 2007 to the
RTM version, I consistently get error 2203. (After Vista upgrade, Office no
longer showed up as entry in Add-remove programs control panel). I've tried
everything. My first attempt was from a CD burned from the downloaded .iso
file; I redownloaded, checked the SHA-1 checksum and tried again; same
thing. Subsequently, I "extracted" the .iso file to hard disk files using
ISObuster and tried
running set up from there, with the same results. Turning UAC on and off
makes no difference. I then enabled the administrator account, logged on
with it and tried installation, still with same results. I tried changing
the owner
of "Documents and Settings" to administrator (since I couldn't even display
it that way it was), and tried it again; same thing.

I found another form entry for 2007 Beta that indicates that
----------------------
"After searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base I learned that "Error 2203" is
an "access denied" error caused when "incorrect permissions are set for the
folder that contains the Office XP administrative installation point" -
whatever that means.

The resolution is to "grant the System account Full Control permissions to
the folder that contains the administrative installation point."
----------------------
"
but I, like the questioner in this message, don't not know what folder is
involved. I've checked \temp and other obvious directories, such as
"Program Files(x86)", "Documents and Settings", etc for accessibility by
'SYSTEM'
owner, but without knowing exactly where to look, my effort was probably
pointless. Alas, all SEEMED fine to me.

I suppose I could reinstall VISTA again and then try Office install again,
but
without some good notion that it would solve the problem, it seems rather
like a lot of work and rather pointless.

Any smart person have any ideas?
OneN...@nospam.nospam
--
Tom

--
Tom

Leon Hao [MSFT]

Jan 9, 2007, 9:39:40 AM1/9/07
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your post!

This is a quick note to let you know that I am performing research on this
issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your
patience.

Regards,

Leon Hao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Tom

Jan 9, 2007, 10:55:01 PM1/9/07
Hi Leon,

Thank you for looking into the problem.

I've made no additional progress on the problem, but I do have a complete
log (several, in fact) from when the failure occurs; of the 3-4 logs I've
inspected, they all have the same scenario at the time of the error
detection. The entire log is too large to include in a post, but I did find
a snippet around where the error was detected, which is included here:
-----------------------
MSI(INFO): 'Action start 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_LFN_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.'
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_LFN_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. Return value 1.'
MSI(ACTIONSTART): 'Action 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_LONG_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. '
MSI(INFO): 'Action start 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_LONG_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.'
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_LONG_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. Return value 1.'
MSI(ACTIONSTART): 'Action 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_SFN_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. '
MSI(INFO): 'Action start 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_SFN_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.'
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_SFN_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. Return value 1.'
MSI(ACTIONSTART): 'Action 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_SHORT_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. '
MSI(INFO): 'Action start 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_SHORT_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8.'
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22:
CA_FF_SL_SHORT_ENU_7760.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8. Return value 1.'
MSI(ACTIONSTART): 'Action 19:42:22: InstallValidate. Validating install'
MSI(INFO): 'Action start 19:42:22: InstallValidate.'
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22: InstallValidate. Return value 1.'
MSI(ACTIONSTART): 'Action 19:42:22: InstallInitialize. '
MSI(INFO): 'Action start 19:42:22: InstallInitialize.'
MSI(ERROR): 'Error 2203. An internal error has occurred.
(C:\Windows\Installer\10a6f0a1.ipi -2147024629 ) Contact
Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information
about how to contact PSS, see C:\TEMP\Setup00000fb8\PSS10R.CHM.'
Log level changed from: Standard to: Verbose
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22: InstallInitialize. Return value 3.'
MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 19:42:22: INSTALL. Return value 3.'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductCode = {90120000-006E-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductLanguage = 1033'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductName = Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English)
2007'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductVersion = 12.0.4518.1014'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): UpgradeCode = {00120000-006E-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): BUILD = 4518_1014\x86\ship\1033\OfficeMUI'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): DWLANGUAGE = 1033'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): INSTALLLANGUAGE = 1033'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): DiskPrompt = Microsoft Office Shared MUI 2007'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductNameBase = Office'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductNameNonQualified = Microsoft Office 2007'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductNameNonQualifiedShort = Office'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductNameNonVersioned = Microsoft Office'
MSI(INFO): 'Property(S): ProductNameQualified = Office Shared MU
-----------------------
The installation runs about 60-70 seconds before the error occurs.
--
Tom

Leon Hao [MSFT]

Jan 10, 2007, 3:47:31 AM1/10/07
Hi Tom,

Based on my experience, you can try the following three suggestions:

Before we start, please make sure that you are using an Administrator
account to perform the following steps. (Not the user account in the
administrator group)

* Suggestion 1
===========

To remove Office 2007 Beta completely, follow the steps below:

1. Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. The information and download
link is contained at the following KB article:

290301 Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

2. After you have downloaded and installed it, please see if Office 2007
entry is displayed on the list. If it is, please highlight and remove it.
If not, please skip this step.

3. Remove the installation files, and stop the 2007 Office services

4. Remove the beta release version of the 2007 Office registry subkeys

5. Remove the beta release version of the 2007 Office installation files
and folders

The detailed information on how to perform steps 3-5 can be found at the
following KB article:

928218 Error message after you remove the beta release version of a 2007
Office suite or program and then try to install the original release
version of a 2007 Office suite or program: "Setup is unable to proceed"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;928218

* Suggestion 2
===========

In some situations, this issue can also be caused by the corruption of
Windows Installer. The latest version of Windows Installer is 3.1. To
manually install Windows Installer 3.1, please visit the following web link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482FC-5F56-4A38-
B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

Download and install Windows Installer 3.1, then double click Setup.exe on
your Office media to install Office again.

* Suggestion 3
===========

Additionally, you can try to check the permission of following folder:

C:\Windows\Temp

To make sure that you have full control of this folder.

Tom

Jan 11, 2007, 1:47:02 AM1/11/07
Hi Leon,

Hi Leon,

Thank you for the suggestions. Even though I believe I've tried most of
this in a haphazard manner before my first post to the discussion group, I'm
going to go through it all again as you suggested, being very careful to
follow each step precisely.

(In all of this, I am using the TRUE administrator account, which I enabled,
not the user/administrator account. I actually logged on as the true
administrator as opposed to just running the various programs with
administrator authority).

Bottom Line: Installation still fails with same error 2203

Notes regarding my efforts in following your directions:

Suggestion 1:
I had previously installed and tried the "Windows Installer Cleanup
Utility". I just now uninstalled the Cleanup Utility, downloaded the latest
version again and reinstalled the Cleanup Utility.

Results: Neither the ControlPanel "Programs and Features" nor the Windows
Installer Cleanup Utility listed that Office 2007 (or any other office
version) was installed.
Regarding (your) steps 3-5 from the KB article: In general, there were only
a couple of Office/Office12 files/keys to be removed, all of which which were
successfully deleted; most of the files/registry keys listed in the KB
article did not exist.

There were a couple of anomalies that occurred during the following of the
steps in the KB article:
Regarding "Remove the beta release version of the 2007 Office Installation
files and folders", step 6: There was no MSOCache directory on the Vista
boot disk ( there are no other local disks on this Vista machine), but there
was an MSOcache directory on a filesystem mounted from another computer, but
I was unable to gain permission to search this directory for any Office files.
Regarding "Remove the beta release version of the 2007 Office Installation
files and folders", step 9: The directories referenced in the KB article,
namely, "%appdata%\microsoft\document build blocks\...lang...\" was not
available at all. There was a different directory structure involving Local,
LocalLow and Roaming directories. The "Local" directory had an entry for
Office, which I completely removed.

After following your Suggestion 1, I went on to your Suggestion 2, just as
insurance that we might solve the problem and also to not have to redo
Suggestion 1 (which was quite time-consuming) if the installation failed
again.

Suggestion 2:

I was not able to reinstall the Windows Installer 3.1. Perhaps you failed
to realize from my inital post to the discussion group that I am running
VISTA RTM Ultimate x64, which I just installed several days ago. The KB
article you referenced allowed me to redownload a new 3.1 x86 installer, but
not a 3.1 x64 installer compatible with VISTA. I was not able to find a 3.1
x64 installer in microsoft downloads. I was able to find an installer update
for Vista x64 RC1, but when I tried to install it on my Vista x64 RTM, I got
a message saying "The update does not apply to your system".

Suggestion 3:

I had checked \windows\temp permissions previously, as I stated in my first
post, but I did it again. It seems all is OK. The following permissions
were found for \windows\temp:

Creater/Owner - no permissions specified;
SYSTEM - All permissions but "Special"; Administrators - All permissions
except "Special";
Users - All permissions except "Special".

For \windows\temp, there was no entry for just "administrator" (without the
s). I also checked Program Files, Program Files(x86), Documents and
Settings (and subdirectories) and all permissions seemed OK.

So, I'm still stumped. I believe that if we can get a better interpretation
of which files don't have the correct permissions, as described in the cause
of error 2203, then I/we could narrow in on the cause more precisely than
shotgun approaches as I have done up to now. Or perhaps you found out that
2203 can mean something more than just permission errors on files?

So, what's next?

Thanks, Tom
OneN...@nospam.nospam
--
Tom

Leon Hao [MSFT]

Jan 11, 2007, 8:19:43 AM1/11/07
Hi Tom,

After some further research, I would like to suggest as below:

# Check Environment Variables
==========================

Sometimes if the %temp% folder is redirected to a location other than the
default, this scenario may occur. Follow the steps to check it:

1. Click Start, and right click on Computer>Properties
2. Click Advanced system settings in the Task Pane.
3. Click Advanced tab on System Properties dialogue box.
4. Click Environment Variables
5. Check if the TEMP and TMP are set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

If this folder is not pointed to the default folder, please do the
following:

1. Redirect it to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp and test if you can
install now.
2. Switch to the user account which you first meet the scenario and
redirect TEMP and TMP to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

# Use virtual CD to mount the ISO media
======================

Please use a virtual driver application (such as Daemon Tool) to mount the
ISO media and run Setup.exe from this virtual CD-ROM.

Does this error still occur?

If the two suggestions do not help, please check the folder
C:\Windows\Installer, and see if the file "10a6f0a1.ipi" is in it.

If this file is missing, please search it in all the locations and copy it
to C:\Windows\Installer then see if this issue is resolved.

If all the suggestions turned out to be useless, please send the log file
to my Email box: <v-l...@microsoft.com>

Thanks for your time and efforts put in this process and wish you a good
luck!

Tom

Jan 12, 2007, 3:51:00 AM1/12/07
Hi Leon,

I check the locations of tmp in "Advanced Settings/Environment Variables"
and here are the results:
TEMP %HOMEDRIVE%\TEMP
TMP %HOMEDRIVE%\TEMP

Since I can't see the actual assignment in the environment variables box
(only the result), I opened a command prompt (running as
real administrator) and double-checked using the SET command; they both were
set to "C:\TEMP".

I then set the two variables as you suggested and retried the installation
of Office 2007:

Voile! Success.

Since it now installed, I became curious as to how or why the environment
variables were pointing to c:\TEMP.
I checked on my laptop system and both the administrator account and the
user(/administrator) account were pointing to
%USERPROFILE% ... as you suggested.

The "normal" user/administrator account on the desktop Vista system (the one
we've been working on),
also had the TMP & TEMP pointer to c:\TEMP, but that could be because the
environment variables are shared
across users, and I check these two settings after I changed the settings
for the administrator, but I don't know for sure that that's true.

Still curious as to why this happened even if the envrionment variables WERE
pointing to C:\TEMP, I went back and looked at the permissions on "C:\TEMP"
and
all were OK:
Creator/Owner - no permissions
SYSTEM - all but special
Administrator - all but special
Users - all but special
With the exception of Creator/Owner, the permissions were identical to the
new "temp" directory.

BUT using Windows Explorer, I discovered that the owner of "C:\TEMP" was
"not on this machine" and wasn't known.
The OWNER was listed as "S-1-5-21-4127224040-4277754130-655331076-500",
which was probably a
left over SID from the initial installation of VISTA RC, several months ago.
I'm beginning to think that the environment variables may have
been left over from the previous installation of VISTA RC as well, but I
don't know and have no way of knowing.

By the way, when the problem occurred, the error message from Word installer
said to check for a .ipi file in some directory (can remember which), as you
suggested,
but the file was never there (the actual name kept changing, but it was
always .ipi). After the successful install, there's no .ipi file either. I
don't know
if that matters. What is the .ipi file and does it need to be in the
\windows\installer directory just during install or always?

Anyway, the problem is now solved. Thank you, Leon, for all your help.

Tom

--
Tom

Leon Hao [MSFT]

Jan 15, 2007, 7:20:04 AM1/15/07
Hi Tom,

Sorry for this delayed response due to the weekend.

It seems that re-set the environment variables fixed this issue. As far as
I can see, there are many situations that the setting can be changed. But
consider your situation, as you have upgraded your operation system, my
guess was that Windows used C:\Temp as a temporary folder used for the
upgrade process, and for some reason it has not been changed back to a
normal value. Since you can install and run Office 2007 Beta without a
problem, we can say that the environment variables value was used to be set
properly in your RC1 version of Vista.

Based on my research, the IPI file contained in the temp folder is a file
that only used in the process of Office installation. Once Office is
installed properly, they are deleted. Actually, all files contained in
C:\Temp and %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp can also be safely deleted.
They are all temporary folders and delete them will not generate any
additional problems.

Finally, I am glad that this issue is resolved. If you have any further
questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. I am always glad to be of
assistance.

Kalairockz

Apr 9, 2009, 9:58:01 PM4/9/09

There is one more way how we can install office is just to put the
system in clean boot that is Start-->run-->msconfig and selecting
Selective start up and unchecking the Load start up items and go to the
services tab please put a check mark on hide all microsoft services and
disable to the other services. And also turn off the UAC from User
accounts...and then restart your computer and try installing this should
take care of the issue

--
Kalairockz
Kalairockz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/88769.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Facts

Apr 27, 2009, 8:05:06 PM4/27/09

Discovered by chance that my windows installer service was set to
manual. Changed it to automatic and everything worked fine.

--
Facts
Facts's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/94355.htm

Lizzy84

Sep 27, 2009, 4:57:32 PM9/27/09

Thank you for all of the advice above.

When I first encountered this problem, I went to Microsoft's support
site and followed their directions. (The link is
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000547)

This basically had me stop and restart the Windows Installer Service,
then add the Everyone group with Full Control permissions to the
Permissions list of the default temporary files folder. This did not
solve the problem, which brought me here.

I tried Kalairockz' advice first, since I am not a tech person and it
seemed like the simplest solution. This solved the problem for me. Yea!

It was a little unnerving at first, because I got a security alert
message saying my computer was at risk. But after I restarted my
computer, I just changed msconfig back to normal startup, turned the UAC
back on and restarted again. Everything was fine after that.

Thanks again, especially for saving me from having to pay $49 to sign
up for Microsoft support!

--
Lizzy84
Lizzy84's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/139072.htm

froggychick

Dec 3, 2009, 8:36:01 PM12/3/09
THANK YOU!!! I'm not a techie and couldn't understand everything the others
were talking about. I did what you said and BOOM it was done. The last week
has been hell trying to get Office installed and I kept getting the 2203
error. you saved my sanity