Unknown error 17768 and 30588, weird Entourage...

H.@discussions.microsoft.com Chris H.

Aug 17, 2005, 2:57:56 PM8/17/05
I've been using Entourage 2004 for about a month and a half. Everything
seemed to be fine, and I've been figuring out the differences between E and
Outlook 2003. I use E connected to my company's Exchange server (and AD
servers for names). I started getting an "unknown error -17768" this week
when I try to do a Directory Service lookup. I have checked the settings for
LDAP on the directory and according to my IT staff they look right.

Another annoying unknown error that comes up (and appears to be related) is
30588 - this one occurs when I try to get into the Accounts screen, or try to
edit the directory account from the Directory Services screen. The error
says "The action could not be completed. An unknown error (-30588) occurred."

Email sync does work OK, and even Check Names works when I try to compose a
message, but every so often this week I am seeing an error that my username
and password doesn't work with the Exchange server. Neither of those has
changed, and when I put in the information again, it takes that and syncs up.

What are errors -17768 and -30588, and how do I get rid of them? Why can't
we get real error messages? Do I need to remove some preferences somewhere?

Thanks for any assistance...

Mickey Stevens

Aug 17, 2005, 5:02:14 PM8/17/05
On 8/17/05 1:57 PM, in article
7B206F40-9445-438B...@microsoft.com, "Chris H." <Chris
H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've been using Entourage 2004 for about a month and a half. Everything
> seemed to be fine, and I've been figuring out the differences between E and
> Outlook 2003. I use E connected to my company's Exchange server (and AD
> servers for names). I started getting an "unknown error -17768" this week
> when I try to do a Directory Service lookup. I have checked the settings for
> LDAP on the directory and according to my IT staff they look right.

I'm not sure about that one, sorry.

> Another annoying unknown error that comes up (and appears to be related) is
> 30588 - this one occurs when I try to get into the Accounts screen, or try to
> edit the directory account from the Directory Services screen. The error
> says "The action could not be completed. An unknown error (-30588) occurred."

This is a known issue that is caused by viewing complex HTML messages prior
to opening the Accounts window. You can work around it by re-launching
Entourage and then editing your account before opening any complex HTML
messages.

> Email sync does work OK, and even Check Names works when I try to compose a
> message, but every so often this week I am seeing an error that my username
> and password doesn't work with the Exchange server. Neither of those has
> changed, and when I put in the information again, it takes that and syncs up.

Strange.

By the way, you don't need to post to
<microsoft.public.office.mac.entourage>. That's the old newsgroup that's
not frequented by most of us any more.

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
PowerPoint FAQ featuring PowerPoint:mac: <http://www.pptfaq.com/>

Gareth Alexander

Sep 14, 2007, 9:29:28 AM9/14/07
I was getting the 17768 error when doing address lookups. The solution I
found is to do with the LDAP search base.

I had to go into Tools > Accounts > Directory

I picked my Directory I had LDAP directory.

And went into Options Tab.

I am lucky enough that I can see what the servers search base has been set
to. Poorly configured DNS means that its not always perfect.

I changed the search base to be identical to the servers and the Directory
Lookup is now working.

You might be able to find out what the search base is set to using the
Directory Access tool in the Utilities folder.

If you configure LDAPv3

If its already there just edit your existing one otherwise click new and
stick in the address of your LDAP server. When the entry is created, choose
(or re-choose) From Server under the LDAP Mappings and another window will
appear which should have your servers search base listed.

Ingore the "cn=config," part and take the "dc=yourdomain,dc=XXX" part and
paste that into your search base in your directory options (remember no
spaces).

Hope this helps