Navision client supports multibyte charsets - why not Unicode?

Soumar@discussions.microsoft.com Petr Soumar

Mar 3, 2006, 2:58:02 PM3/3/06
Hello,
I am a consultant from one of MBS Partners and I have to often solve a
problem with codepages in NAVI clients in multilanguage environment. For
example russian cyrilic with an another east europan codepage cannot be mixed
in one client.

I have communicated with the MBS support and they told me, that NAVI client
supports multibyte representation (quoted bellow):

Navision handles Chinese characters with double-byte fonts. It can be
enabled in the stx file:

=== fin.stx ===
// The following entry is for double-byte character set (DBCS) clients (code
pages 932, 936, 949, 950)
// A value of 0 indicates that a client DBCS is disallowed
// A value of 1 indicates that a client DBCS is allowed, provided that the
database code page is a non-DBCS code page

00093-00400-010-2: 0

So when NAVI client itself supports multibyte codepages for Chinese or
Japanese character sets, why it do not support Unicode? It is in my opinion
only another multibyte codepage?

Thank you for an answer.

Best Regards,
Petr Soumar

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=15f7e0cc-f988-44e7-b940-82a1c0651446&dg=microsoft.public.navision

Schäfer@discussions.microsoft.com Eduard Schäfer

Apr 19, 2006, 5:21:02 AM4/19/06
Hello,
we have the same problem. The intention was to run German and Russion
language in one Client on a Terminal Server.
Our MBS told us, that we need a special Server with Russian Codepage on it.
Would be great, if you had a better solution.

Eduard Schäfer

Adam

Dec 5, 2006, 10:59:01 AM12/5/06
I am experiencing the same DBCS problem. So I opened the fin.stx file in
notepad and changed the 0 to a 1 but now I get a different error stating
there is a checksum error in the fin.stx file. Any ideas?

Thanks

Gedas B

Dec 19, 2006, 7:32:44 AM12/19/06

fin.stx can be edited only by MS because checksum is entered.

Regards
Gedas
"Adam" <Ad...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tsang

Apr 16, 2007, 1:58:07 PM4/16/07
Hello,

Actually, Microsoft never admit that they have Chinese version. All Chinese
verison are translated by local partners only. If you see the chinese verison
from different partners, the display will be different as no united version
can be provided. They only will show chinese display. If you put the chinese
in the name field, you will get strange character in the search name. Also,
you had run the production schedule, you can probably notice error if you put
chinese character in it.

The quote Petr mentioned means they can run in the doublebyte local locale
workstation. If you don't have the stx file with correct setting. You cannot
open the navision in the doublebyte locale workstation. I had mentioned to
microsoft local partner manager a few times. No positive feedback or schedule
can be given when the chinese version (or other double byte version) can be
available. Last time, the technical manager even told me other partners can
translated to double characters and work well. My company had translated
chinese and work well as well. But it doesn't mean that an international
product, like Navision, can bypass the double byte character development.

Tsang

Björn

Nov 19, 2008, 7:11:00 AM11/19/08
Hello,

we have the same Problems with our Citizen2Government Solutions that we
develop in Nav. Wit the current law Situation we have to save the Names
of an Citizen exactly like the Name in their Identification Card. A lot of
Immigrants have Characters in their Names that we cant save/dispay in NAV.

In near Time we got a lot of Problems if we can't do...

Best Regards,
Björn