CANNOT COMPLETE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11 SETUP

OP

Apr 24, 2008, 4:03:39 AM4/24/08

I am having problems installing windows media player 11. I have tried
everything I can think of and find on the web. I've run microsoft
update and tried to install from there and i've also tried downloading
it from the microsoft website and running the .exe but with no
success. When installation takes place its get right to the end of the
process (100%) then finishes and says something along these
lines...'cannot complete microsoft windows media player 11 setup'. I
went to microsoft's website for help...but couldn't get any...please
help me!

Thankyou.

OP

Apr 24, 2008, 6:17:40 AM4/24/08
I've found the answer....hopefully this will help others

link...http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/thread/1004376127.aspx

Thankyou extremetech

1. Copied the WMP11 installation exe to a new directory.

2. Ran the installation - and as usual it failed.

3. Unzipped the installation exe.

4. Ran wmp11.exe. This worked fine.

5. Rebooted my PC.

6. Ran umdf.exe. This worked fine.

7. Ran wmfdist11.exe. This hit problems trying to copy the dll's to
my

system32 directory. I located the temporary file that this exe
produced and

copied all of the files to a new directory.

8. Exited wmfdist11.exe.

9. Manually copied all of the WMP DLL's plus logagent.exe, uwdf.exe
and

wdfmgr.exe to my system32 directory.

10. Reran wmfdist11.exe - this time it completed satisfactory.

11. Reran wmp11.exe

zachd [MSFT]

Apr 25, 2008, 4:50:18 AM4/25/08

Those are pretty broken steps. The installer that you're avoiding when
you're doing that actually does useful things. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
"OP" <op...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

OP

Apr 29, 2008, 6:11:24 AM4/29/08
It worked perfectly for me and I have had no issues with wmp 11 since.
I spent ages trying to get wmp 11 to work, I tried everything else,
including things you have suggested and nothing worked, apart from the
guy who thought of these steps.

It's a shame that your comments might dissuade others from trying this
method, which works perfectly. If anyone can't get this method to work
i'll be happy to help. Regards

zachd [MSFT]

May 3, 2008, 8:37:42 PM5/3/08

"OP" <op...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm glad you didn't notice any problems. I wrote the software you're
talking about and trying to hack. I know exactly what it does and what's
currently wrong with your system. Since this is an analogue of pirate/hack
steps, I'm not interested in discussing this issue other than to point out
your steps turn out to be a bad plan. It will mostly work and hopefully you
will never notice the issues involved.

However, as someone who is guaranteed to be more familiar with this area
than you are (which is not meant to raise offense: it's merely an honest
statement), I can indeed say that those steps turn out to be a pretty bad
plan that should generally be avoided at all costs. It is far better to
resolve the setup issue in a forward/progressive manner than to try to
jury-rig the installer as you have done here.

I'm very glad you're working, but generally--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#setup11
is probably a way better starting point for any new and confused user who is
trying to sort through any install errors.

Again, I mean no disrespect - but you are talking about stuff that I wrote,
and I previously did a technical review of the exact steps you're detailing,
so -- it should really be a last-ditch plan if it is ever used.

With all respect,
-Zach