Live messenger error 1603

Marko

May 25, 2006, 1:59:13 PM5/25/06
Hi

I´m trying to install new beta messenger, but it always rollback and gives
error 1603. So can someone help me with this problem?

Br,

Marko

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

May 25, 2006, 5:17:09 PM5/25/06
Greetings Marko,

1603 is actually a generic Windows Installer error (basically it means "something went
wrong"). Is there any other error codes appearing before or after the 1063 message?

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

Marko

May 26, 2006, 12:32:12 PM5/26/06
Thanks for answer. When I install ver 7.5 evething goes nice. But when I try
8 beta it goes to end without any error message. Rolls back and then comes
error:"Windows live messenger setup failed with error code 1603. Please go
to the windows live messenger website http://messenger.live.com to download
the latest version of windows live messenger.

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnews...@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

cutalian

Jul 10, 2006, 11:13:02 PM7/10/06
i have the same problem...did u figure it out yet?

matthew...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2006, 7:50:19 AM7/20/06
I have the exact same issue. I've not even got a single messenger
installed yet 1603 is appearing constantly

Fl0ppy

Jul 25, 2006, 5:32:02 AM7/25/06
Hello to all...

2 Simply question... why you guys of Microsoft dot tell all of us WHY this
error happens?

If you dont do it I'll do I...

All of us that we have this trouble make a little reaserch on google and
look how there is a syntax that make possible log the actions of msi package
.

Is this: msiexec /i "C:\my stuff\package.msi" /l*v "d:\place for
logs\package.log

In a detailed manner is produced an output file with all the install
procedure...

For do this you need to extract the msi package from the exe (almost all
commercial unpacking programs are good) then launch it from command shell
with the extended parameters it's all done simply susbsitute what you need in
the previus command example...

And... after this you simply launch the installation, go to the log and look
where the error is..

And surprise... in the exact point of the rollback action occurs the trouble
is: MSN Live crap is trying to install some .nfo for some USB phone device
that surely no one have and need for the moment...

'CustomActionData' property 'ManufacturerName' is Microsoft Corporation.
DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
DIFXAPP: INFO: WLPhoneC.inf: checking signature with catalog 'C:\Program
Files\MSN Messenger\Device Manager\WLPhoneC.cat' ...
DIFXAPP: INFO: Driver package 'WLPhoneC.inf' is WHQL signed.
DIFXAPP: ERROR: Create Driver Store entry failed. (Error code 0x6E: The
system cannot open the device or file specified.)
DIFXAPP: INFO: Successfully removed {FF44D3D6-192E-4C68-B609-8D704FC8A3FC}
from reference list of driver store entry
DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x52)
DIFXAPP: ERROR encountered while installing driver package C:\Program
Files\MSN Messenger\Device Manager\WLPhoneC.inf
DIFXAPP: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x52

Why you (Microsoft developer) dont try to work around at this problem
excluding this piece of the installation and make many people could use your
program ??

Why you cannot solve this from yourself (referred to Microsoft developer),
make some test and try to avoid trouble at the common users?

I know you have reached mine same conclusion making some test, but why you
(still referred to Microsoft developer) simply stay at the windows and look
us from above, laughing and dont work from a solution if you surely know the
trouble?

A really sad customer user...

Adriano Esposito

Jul 26, 2006, 10:45:24 AM7/26/06
Hi to all,

I have the same problem. I made the same things you made and I got the
same error in the log.
I do not know the driver msn try to install is for an usb phone. I
think is a support for voice services.
By the way I'm working for understanding why some computers encount
this problem.

If I will find a work-around I will post it here.

(sorry for my bad english!)

Adriano Esposito

Jul 26, 2006, 11:25:35 AM7/26/06
Ok, I found a solution.

If you open the file MsnMsgs.msi contained in Install_messenger.exe
with the ORCA application from Microsoft. Opened I saw an entry called
MSIDriverPackages. Brutally removing this entry the msi package install
Messenger into the system without stopping. Also the folder ...\MSN
Messenger\Device Manager contain the information about WLPhoneC device.

That's all, waiting for a MS solution...

Goodbye.

Geobeo

Aug 10, 2006, 6:13:01 PM8/10/06
Hello
Also there is an easy way... for newbies. find a msi extractor i.e Less
MSIerables, extract the msnmsgs.msi file.
Then from the directory that you have extracted the msi run the msnmsgr.exe
and the whole things works.
For desparate users only

Eramus

Aug 22, 2006, 7:43:02 PM8/22/06
I also have been getting the same error whether I'm installing Messenger 7.5
or Live Messenger 8.0 Beta. Before the installation rollback occurs in my
case there is a mention of error code 2932 and that the installation package
may be damaged. I've re-downloaded both installers and tried again with only
the same result. Thanks for any feedback.

fabri

Sep 3, 2006, 3:07:02 PM9/3/06
Hi

I´m trying to install new messenger 8 live , but it every time rollback

and gives
error 1603. So can someone help me with this problem?

my actual version's 7.5-
i try to clena temp. files
i try to stop all my programs that run during installation
and i try this:
1) Click Start > Run
2) Type msiexec /unreg and press enter and wait until it appears to have
finished.
4) Type msiexec /regserver and press enter.
5) Try to install MSN Messenger 8 again.

i try to use the utility Windows Installer Clean Up

and muth more...but I CANNOT install messenger 8 live.

thanks for all suggestion.

susan celis

Dec 21, 2010, 7:13:02 AM12/21/10
hello,i change my email ad.

> On Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:17 PM wrote:

> Greetings Marko,
>

> 1603 is actually a generic Windows Installer error (basically it means "something went
>

> wrong"). Is there any other error codes appearing before or after the 1063 message?
>

> --
>

> Jonathan Kay
>

> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>

> Associate Expert

> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2006 Jonathan Kay.

> --
>

> "Marko" <ma...@luukku.com> wrote in message news:4475f074$0$24867$9b53...@news.fv.fi...

>> On Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:59 PM wrote:

>> Hi
>>

>> I?m trying to install new beta messenger, but it always rollback and gives

>> error 1603. So can someone help me with this problem?
>>

>> Br,
>>

>> Marko

>>> On Friday, May 26, 2006 7:32 PM wrote:

>>> Thanks for answer. When I install ver 7.5 evething goes nice. But when I try
>>>

>>> 8 beta it goes to end without any error message. Rolls back and then comes
>>>

>>> error:"Windows live messenger setup failed with error code 1603. Please go
>>>

>>> to the windows live messenger website http://messenger.live.com to download
>>>

>>> the latest version of windows live messenger.

susan celis

Dec 21, 2010, 7:15:35 AM12/21/10