changing ID, all contacts are offline

Andrea

Jul 26, 2007, 6:13:18 AM7/26/07
Hi there!

a couple of days ago a received a message from ".NET Messenger Service
staff" saying that I had to change my ID to keep using the service
(since I had an id myn...@tin.it and not myn...@hotmail.com)

Well I was quite worried about it because I tought that it may be a
virus, so I've done my research finding just a few pages on google.
So I've gone to the microsoft page that the IM from the staff was
referring to and it really was a microsoft page, not a fake one.
The address is this one http://support.microsoft.com/gp/Messenger
(sorry but I can't find it in english).

Bye the way...I've changed my ID from myn...@tin.it to
myn...@hotmail.it. I logged in to msn messenger a couple of hours
after that (as written in the microsoft web page) and all was fine,
all my contacts were offline, but it was at 1 in the night...so...not
so strange!

The day after (yesterday) I logged in to msn messenger and all my
contact were still all offline...and so they are today.
All my contacts had signed out from msn more than once (as written in
the microsoft web page), but ther's no way I can see them online (and
I know for shure that they are online)

Have you got any ideas on how to solve it or has anybody else had the
same problem and solved it???

Thanks,
Andrea

TheCroW

Jul 26, 2007, 1:49:06 PM7/26/07
> Hi there!
>
> a couple of days ago a received a message from ".NET Messenger Service
> staff" saying that I had to change my ID to keep using the service
> (since I had an id myn...@tin.it and not myn...@hotmail.com)

==< snip

Curious on this one. I can not imagine for the life of me that they can
force you to use only a Hotmail adres to use Messenger. For me this looks
like a fake mail?

Menno

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Jul 27, 2007, 12:18:09 AM7/27/07
Greetings, Andrea

The reason why you had to change is tin.it has probably got themselves a federation IM
agreement with Microsoft which requires people to change their Windows Live IDs.

In some rare occasions the system which is supposed to transfer over your contacts doesn't,
and you're left with your current situation. Normally you can simply switch your name back
and then try again, but in this particular scenario since you've switched to a Hotmail
address, you'll need to delete all your contacts and add them back.

Hopefully you don't have that many contacts (although there are some third party tools to
help you with this if you do). The first thing you have to do is save your current contact
list. You can do so by opening the main Messenger window, pressing Alt to bring up the menu,
choosing the Contacts menu (or localized name in whatever language you're using) and then
Save instant messaging contacts. Save the .ctt file in any location (Desktop is fine) and
then verify that it was created. You can open up the file in Notepad to take a look if you
wish.

Next, right-click each contact on your list and choose Delete. Then press Alt again, choose
the Tools menu, and then Options. Click the Privacy category and right-click on your
contacts in the Allow list and choose Delete. If the Delete option is grayed out on most
contacts, you can skip this step.

Finally, press Alt once more, choose the Contacts menu again, and then choose Import instant
messaging contacts. Choose the .ctt file wherever you saved it and it should readd them.

Now your contacts will most likely be prompted to readd you and as such, they won't
immediately appear online -- but at least they will.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

"Andrea" <and...@tin.it> wrote in message

Andrea

Jul 27, 2007, 1:12:03 PM7/27/07
On 27 Lug, 06:18, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsrepl...@jonathankay.com>
wrote:
> Greetings, Andrea
>

> Hopefully you don't have that many contacts (although there are some third party tools to
> help you with this if you do). The first thing you have to do is save your current contact
> list. You can do so by opening the main Messenger window, pressing Alt to bring up the menu,
> choosing the Contacts menu (or localized name in whatever language you're using) and then
> Save instant messaging contacts. Save the .ctt file in any location (Desktop is fine) and
> then verify that it was created. You can open up the file in Notepad to take a look if you
> wish.
>
> Next, right-click each contact on your list and choose Delete. Then press Alt again, choose
> the Tools menu, and then Options. Click the Privacy category and right-click on your
> contacts in the Allow list and choose Delete. If the Delete option is grayed out on most
> contacts, you can skip this step.
>
> Finally, press Alt once more, choose the Contacts menu again, and then choose Import instant
> messaging contacts. Choose the .ctt file wherever you saved it and it should readd them.
>
> Now your contacts will most likely be prompted to readd you and as such, they won't
> immediately appear online -- but at least they will.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay

First aff all...thanks for the info!!!

...done all of it...but all the contacts still appear offline (and
I've done it some hours ago). Any other solution? Any check that can
be done server side?

Bye,
Andrea

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Jul 27, 2007, 11:04:47 PM7/27/07

Three things -- the first, check to see what's happening when you sign into the Web
Messenger:
http://webmessenger.msn.com

The second, simply make yourself a new account (Hotmail or otherwise) and re-import that .ctt
file there.

Or finally, you'll need to contact Messenger Support Services to see if they can fix this at
their end:
http://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger&page=wlsupport_home_options

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2007 Jonathan Kay.

"Andrea" <and...@tin.it> wrote in message

Andrea

Jul 30, 2007, 3:16:55 AM7/30/07
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Experthttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> Messenger Resources -http://messenger.jonathankay.com

> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2007 Jonathan Kay.
> --

Done!
Everything's look fine now.
This weekend I wasn't home and last night when I signed in I found
some contact online, so I think that was only metter of time...THANKS
for the help.

Andrea

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Matteo

Jul 30, 2007, 6:30:02 PM7/30/07
I have the same problem. Upgraded from @tin.it to Hotmail, followed the
suggestions but still have few contacts online(I'm sure the are).

- Matteo

Ian McShane

Jul 31, 2007, 11:54:04 AM7/31/07
I changed my email address (not a @tin.it, I just wanted to change it to my
current business email) last Thursday.
All my contacts were offline and I appeared offline.
Having read that it might not update until users have signed out and back in
again, I waited until yesterday. However, even after getting some contacts
to sign in and out a number of times, I was still offline and all the
contacts appeared offline too.
I changed the linked email address back to the original and now I can see
*some* of my contacts status but I still appear offline to all of them.
I can send an IM to them but it doesn't use my screenname, I'm identified by
the email address..
I've even exported the contact list, deleted all the contacts and re-added
them but still no dice.
Is this a common problem? More importantly, how can I get all the status'
to show correctly?

cheers!

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Jul 31, 2007, 11:12:14 PM7/31/07

See my post earlier on in the thread about how to contact Messenger support so they can
assist.

This is all server-side, so besides re-doing accounts yourself, there isn't much else you can
do.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

Associate Expert

All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2007 Jonathan Kay.

"Ian McShane" <IanMc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Matteo

Aug 4, 2007, 1:10:02 PM8/4/07
I contacted the Messenger support: after a couple of days they replied me
back telling me to download the latest version of Messenger(that I already
have...) and to clean the Messenger cache. I did so, but the problem is still
there. Seems the the new Hotmail account was messed up with some infos from
the previous Tin account: in fact when I save my contact list it was
identified by a "tin" tag.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Aug 5, 2007, 11:19:24 PM8/5/07

There was a bug in some earlier versions with this which is why they replied that way.

Their procedure is to first send you the cookie cutter answer and then actually look into
problems generally. So, reply to them and tell them it didn't work, then it'll get
escalated.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2007 Jonathan Kay.

"Matteo" <Mat...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

xiz...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2007, 8:45:38 AM9/10/07
On Jul 31, 10:54 am, Ian McShane

did you get the answer? i'm having the same problem