Re: Changed WIndows Live ID email, contacts offline

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Dec 30, 2008, 3:25:07 PM12/30/08

I can't say this surprises me at all but yes, do try again. In past experiences, issues
which aren't in the "book" generally take a few replies to get much traction.

If by next week at this time (there's no point right now as everyone is on vacation) they
haven't been able to get very far, I'll do my best to escalate it personally on your behalf.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

<max.ca...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Here I'm.
>
> It turned out they cannot even understand what I'm talking about: i've
> been answered "it's impossibile to change ID". I keep writing trying
> to find someone who actually knows what I'm writing about.
>
> Anyway, since the one and only, old, email is still working, i can
> understand they don't see the change I'm doing. It's bloked somehow:
> that's a closed email account and i really need to change my windows
> live ID, so I'll keep searching from "decent" support in the WL team
> and I'll let you, and anybody could be interested in the future, know
> about how the whole story ends, if anytime soon it will.

max.ca...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2008, 6:01:29 PM12/30/08
Thank you for your kindness.

By now, I get a response that make sense. They ask me to registrate a
new account with the email I want to use and then to migrate from my
actual ID to that. I ask for more explanation about a specific point
of the process, because it wasn't actually meaning something in
Italian. :D

Anyway, by now i have registred a new account as an EASY account as
they call it: it means it can only be used for the puropse of being an
ID, without any mail service from microsoft provided. We're gonna wait
and see...

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Dec 31, 2008, 4:16:42 AM12/31/08

The problem with doing that is that all your contacts have to re-add you and anything else
attached to the Live ID is orphaned... I hate advice like that.

By the way, which domains are you trying to go from exactly? @olddomain.com ->
@newdomain.com

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

<max.ca...@gmail.com> wrote in message

max.ca...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2008, 6:13:23 AM12/31/08
A new mail has arrived in the night, saying that the previous one was
wrong.
Can you believe that?

I've been told to move from my first domain (@katamail.com) to the
domain I want (@gmail.com) and then wait "several days" (not 8, not 48
hours, but "several days"). That's because, according to this new e-
mail, you have to be online at the same time your contacs are to make
the update of their contact list. If it doesn't work, they ask me to
delete all my contact one by one and re-add them with the file .ctt
you can create exporting your contact list.

Nothing less automatic then that, i suppose....

On 31 Dic, 10:16, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsrepl...@jonathankay.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem with doing that is that all your contacts have to re-add you and anything else
> attached to the Live ID is orphaned...  I hate advice like that.
>
> By the way, which domains are you trying to go from exactly?  @olddomain.com ->
> @newdomain.com
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog:http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources:http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2009, 7:27:03 AM1/3/09
Just to update the story, I've made the change, again, and now I'm
waiting the "several days" they asked me to wait. Still no changes,
yet. Two my contacts, instead of waiting, just addedd my new ID in
their contact list and it works fine. I don't want to contact all of
them asking to do the change...

sundoe...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2009, 3:41:04 PM1/4/09
Hey there.

Something must be broken, as I've changed my live ID email address
back and forth 3 times now. And the new email address does not work,
I've tried leaving it for 4 days or so. No change at all. If i
change it back it automatically fixes itself.

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2009, 10:58:18 AM1/5/09
So, we are in the same situation.
The support told me to stay with my new account, even if i see all
contacts offline, because it may takes "several days". I don't know if
it's 4, 40 or 400, I'm just waiting and, meanwhile, trying to speak
with the support team again, because they promised if this is not
fixed after the "several days" they will send my email to the "upper
level support" (don't know exactly what does it mean). I wrote an
email on sunday and received nothing, strange because they always
respond very soon.

I'll wait a bit more, then I'll write again.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Jan 5, 2009, 10:54:37 PM1/5/09
Wow, this is turning out to be one of the longest threads in awhile.

Just out of random curiosity, when you re-add these contacts, do they appear online
immediately (aka the contacts aren't prompted)?

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com

(c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

<max.ca...@gmail.com> wrote in message

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2009, 7:28:51 AM1/6/09
Two my contacts re-add me by typing the new address in the "Add
Contact" wizard of Messenger. Just after clicking "OK", they could see
me online as a new contact (so they can still see the old one
offline). I didn't have to accept because they are already in my list:
the problem is, infact, the opposite, I'm not in their list.

Anyway, the day I've waited have brought something: my mails arrived
to the "upper level" where they asked me to send the permission to
access to my windows live id so they can see what's the problem and
try to solve it. So I've now follow the steps and granted the access
to the Windows Live ID team, we'll se if they will solve it.

Since I've been reading a lot on the internet about this problem, if
the thing works I'll write here a clear message with all the steps you
have to make to solve it, for the other people who may have the same
issues.

Ryuuie

Jan 8, 2009, 1:26:27 AM1/8/09
I am ALSO having this problem. I've got about 80 people on my list...am I
supposed to have all of them re-add me? =/

I waited about two weeks to see if this would work and nothing happened at
all. It even seem to have broken WLM because I had to reinstall it and ended
up getting an old version of WLM instead of the new one with the new look.

For some reason, I just can't fix it so I've just given up on trying to do
that.

But I just want to use my actual Gmail.com e-mail and not my old (and dead)
Netscape.net e-mail.

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've crossed my fingers on your behalf :)

> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com

> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>

> <sundoe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ok switched back and it is working again. Will try the new email
> > address again before I go to bed

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2009, 5:53:17 PM1/8/09
No, try to contact microsoft support. They have to solve it for you, I
think it would be very stupid if they ask you to solve your problem in
the same way you could solve it without using their procedure for the
ID change.
If it's not working properly, or cannot be solved, it shouldn't be on
the site.

Anyway, some more upgrades: they write me in the night now, instead of
doing in the day (maybe the 'upper level' is somewhere else, not in
Europe?). They've asked me my ID, my PW, the list of my contact and a
screenshot of the Settings->Privacy option page in the Windows Live
Messenger menu.
I've sent everything and still waiting...

j2591

Jan 9, 2009, 8:26:01 AM1/9/09
I hope they give you an answer to this problem. It appears there are several
people having this problem. I'm in the same boat too. For some reason the
change is just not taking effect.

I changed my Windows Live ID email address, waited overnight, signed in and
all my contacts show up, but they are all offline. If I change my ID back to
my old ID and everything is instantly normal.

I ran a test with one of my contacts and when I sign in under the new ID
they still see me as offline too.

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2009, 8:55:03 AM1/11/09
I'm still waiting for another reply from the support, I'll let you
know. By now, my advice is to get in touch with the support ASAP.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2009, 8:17:53 AM1/15/09
Btw, I'm getting no answer from the support since 01/08/2009. It's
been a week and still no change in my contact list and no replys from
the WL team. I'm starting to get worried...

On 15 Gen, 02:38, "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsrepl...@jonathankay.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's definitely not an isolated problem as I've heard similar stories repeatedly now since
> the latest Windows Live rollout.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog:http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources:http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

Sheng

Jan 18, 2009, 7:41:30 PM1/18/09
I'm facing the same problem here.

I changed my windows live ID from an email address to a new windows live
email address (exa...@live.co.uk).

Now I can not change the windows live ID. There is no such an option any more.

So I can not change back to my previous email address and do this thing again.

I tried export all my contacts list and import it again. Nothing happen till
now.
The only person I can see online is my wife. I added her again; and she
added me with my new id. No notification to both side. But at least I can see
somebody.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just for reference, there is support options available.
>
> For Messenger:
> https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger
>
> For Windows Live ID Services:
> https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlid
>
> In both links to get to the support form choose any option from the FAQ on the left, then
> choose 'Get more help' at the bottom right, and then 'Get more support'. In the Messenger
> link you'll also be prompted for what version you're using.

> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com

> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>

> <max.ca...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > for "blocked" i mean somehow "stucked" in the process, so since i made
> > the mistake of reconnecting immediatly with my new ID, it's now stuck
> > and making the change again doesn't help.
> >
> > I've searched a lot for a human contact (:D) with Windows Live, but
> > all i could find was a windows live space with absolutly no way to
> > speak to somebody. Anyway, i will try in the afternoon to switch again
> > from my actual katamail.com to the new id (gmail.com) and then
> > reconnect to the webmessenger. If it won't work, i will go to a third
> > e-mail adress (personal domain address) and try to see if the problem
> > was into the gmail.com one.

John

Jan 19, 2009, 6:33:01 PM1/19/09
Just for anyone with the same issue I have, I contacted support on the 5th
Jan after trying most of the "workarounds" suggested above. I've received two
'escalation' emails and then heard nothing until I prompted them with an
email.

The last reply I received was on the 15th Jan 2009

"We just received a word that our Server Team is working on a fix on the
backend. However, I still don't have the exact date when this will be
resolved. I will get back to you as soon as I hear from them. I
apologize for the inconvenience."

It looks like we just have to (keep) hanging on in there.

To be fair, support have been very polite so far, just not very helpful ;)

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2009, 6:50:07 PM1/19/09
I try to give you my "end" of the story.

The support disappear. Just as John said, in a certain moment they
simply stopped getting in touch. I wrote them, no reply. Still
waiting.

I've sent an e-mail to my contacts apologizing and asking them to add
me with my new contact. I can now see them online and chat with them,
all normal.

The only thing I've learned is that when the WL team say "you need to
be online for your contacts to be update" they mean ONLINE, not busy,
or any other state, but ONLINE. So, no video at full screen please. :D

I have to say I'm really disappointed. The messenger team (they still
call me with a wrong, female, name...) make a big mess, ask for my id
and password (for using an account that is on their server!) ask for a
screenshot and then disappear. So, if you're reading this page trying
to decide if changing your ID or not, my advice is... don't. And run
away as fast as you can.

Hope the best for all of you

Max

Gonçalo

Jan 20, 2009, 4:34:01 PM1/20/09
Hi all,

Same problem here. I have read threads where Jonathan Kay also replied, and
some people state that they got their contacts updated after waiting for a
week.

My question is: Is this information reliable? We should wait? Or should we
do something else?

Thanks in advance.
Gonçalo

fredrik

Jan 20, 2009, 5:17:01 PM1/20/09
I have also the same problem and have read "all threads" about this on the
net and always ends up hear.

I mailed the swedish microsoft support about this problem 1 week ago and
told them about my and all other people who got this problem. 1 day after my
mail I got an workaround solution to export all my contacts and then change
email account to an other email adress and then create a new acount with the
email adress i wanted to have. Then i should import all the contacts he
said...

i more or less got little pissed off on the solution he gave me and said
that there are to much people that have this problem and it is serious error
that microsoft need to fix. After my looooong compliant he forwarded my
problem (with a link to this forum thread) to anouther guy at microsoft that
told me that this now was forwarded to the developement guys and they will
contact me with a solution. So right know I'm just waiting for a solution...
sigh...

jgslazzaro

Jan 22, 2009, 2:04:01 PM1/22/09
Let us know if you solved your problem please
I have the same problem and I'm desperate trying to solve it, i contacted
the support and waiting for the answer

Sheng

Jan 22, 2009, 2:40:10 PM1/22/09
Dear all,

I was facing the same problem and posted a thread earlier about this issue.
But today, I want to share a method which may be able to solve (at least
partially) the problem.

0> log in with your new id.
1> go to windows live main page: http://home.live.com/
2> go to "people". You should see all your contact listed as before.
3> check one contact, and click "edit"
4> under "Personal information", check on "Receive contact updates from this
person"
5> save.
There could be error message which shows that you can not save the change
temporarily
Then you could go back from your browser and save again. This should work.
6> Then this contact can now received your offline message. And without add
you again, you can see each other when both of you are online.

I tried this with my other accounts which did not re-add my new id. Those
accounts CAN receive offline message from my new id now.
I also tried this with one of my wife's old id. When that id go online,
although it did NOT re-add my new id, both of us can see each other online
now.

So far I'm waiting to see others appearing online again. finger crossed!

I hope this could be helpful.
But even so, you have to edit all your contact one by one, which is not
automated at all.

Regards,

Sheng

Sheng

Jan 22, 2009, 2:42:01 PM1/22/09
Dear all,

Regards,

Sheng

Sheng

Jan 22, 2009, 2:50:00 PM1/22/09
Sorry for posting this twice.

Just want to mention:

I did exported all my contact to a file, and then deleted all of them from
my contact list, and then imported the list again. And I do not know whether
this is necessary to make them showing online.

And yes, re-add your new ID works. But sometimes you have to ask your friend
to log out and log in again to let both of you see each other.

John

Jan 23, 2009, 2:29:01 PM1/23/09
Hey Sheng,

It sounded good so I tried your method

1) All my contacts already had "Receive contact updates from this
person" checked

2) With my partners' contact details I unchecked this option, saved the
details, then re-checked it and saved it again.
Still no luck I'm afraid.

Getting very annoyed now, especially since I have quite a few things tied
into this passport account, not just messenger.

Sheng

Jan 23, 2009, 2:43:01 PM1/23/09
Hi John,

I just tried delete one of my ids from the contact list and messenger and
re-add it from messenger.

It was "Receive contact updates from this person" checked on for this id,
but after I re-add it the option is unchecked.

I guess the export-delete-import process play a role in the process. Now I
can see obviously more and more online contacts than that in few days ago.
I'm sure some of them did not add my new ID again.

I hope you can fix your messenger. Or someday microsoft support could give
us a reliable solution.

Sheng

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2009, 6:53:08 AM1/24/09
I have to say now my messenger is (almost) working fine. But I send a
mail to all my contacts asking if they can add me again. Problem is,
in my opinion, the matter of the buddy list.
When you change ID and you go online, you can see all your contacts.
This means your new ID is already having the right contact list:
deleting and re-adding all means that your contacts will receive the
message "someone wants to add you in his contact list bla bla bla". If
they re-add you, you don't see this message because they were already
in your contact list.

max.ca...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 7:45:49 AM1/31/09
Ok, I try to explain what worked for me in this kind of problem. Since
this topic seems to appear in the very first results on the issue "all
contacts offline after changing windows live id" i want to tell you
the steps i followed to solve the issue.

First of all, you have to know it's not an easy thing and it may take
some time.
The problem come up after changing Windows Live ID if you reconnect to
messenger before an eight hour period in wich the server should
process your request.

If you're still in the 48h after the change, try to stay connected
(status ONLINE, not busy or away, but ONLINE, green WLM logo!) as much
as possible: to update your contact with your new ID you have to be
online at the same time of your contacts are. For some of them you
need to wait they go offline/online.

If nothing changes after a while, contact the Windows Live ID support:
click on this link https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlid
, then select one random FAQ in the left part of the page and then
click on the "Get more information" in the lower right part of the
screen. You will find the link to submit your request of help in that
page.

Now that you're in contact with the support team, try to explain
clearly your problem, typing also your old windows live id and the new
"not-properly-working" one.

They will write some answers to you pretty randomly, asking you to
check some options you (and them) know already to be OK. After a
while, they will send your request at the upper level, where they will
indagate your problem and try to solve server-side. They may need your
ID and password, in an e-mail where you also specify that "you give
the right of using them to the WLM team" and to do some screenshots of
the options they want to check (I'm not joking!). Then, in a certain
moment in your future, the problem will be solved.

Mind you, from my first email asking for support to their last email
saying "we solved your problem" a month has gone.
Now, BTW, it's working.

For some important contacts i had and i didn't want to wait any
longer, i just asked them to add me again with my new id. After they
do that, they was OK in my contact list. Remember to stay in the
ONLINE status and be patient.

Somehow, someone, somewhere, will solve your problem.

Barend Geldenhuys

Jan 23, 2012, 1:17:04 AM1/23/12
Hi Guys

Long storie short, i moved companies so i chnaged my Live ID Email that was @Company.co.za to a Generic @live.com account. I wasn't aware of the waiting period, so i will need to revert to odl email, but i doesn't allow me to. I am getting this message "Your Windows Live ID can't be changed at this time." I hvae over 500 contacts and i really can't do my work without it, so would like to sort this out as soon as possible.

Thanks

> On Monday, December 22, 2008 10:53 PM Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Did you sign in at all during this 24 hour period? After you change your ID, you need to
> stay offline for at least 8 hours or so for the change to replicate. If you sign in during
> that time, the process can be cancelled and not go through.
>
> If you switch your ID back, your contacts will come online as per normal on the old ID and
> you can try the process again. My normal recommendation is to simply change your ID to the
> new one before shutting down for the day and after you awake it should be straightened out.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>

> <sundoe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> On Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:27 PM Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Did the contacts at least come back online after you switched it back (that should happen
>> immediately)? If not, it's probably really messed up - I have to admit I'm a bit worried
>> about your mass deletion/re-add as that may have seriously had some implications. I do
>> however admit my understanding of how this feature works is just based on observations over
>> the past few years, but it's proven accurate for quite some time.
>>

>> --
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
>> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
>> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
>> --
>>

>> <sundoe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:02 AM Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That won't work, you need to revert it. It doesn't matter if the ISP exists or not as you
>>> don't actually have to verify your address. You just need it be switched back, then you can
>>> proceed to switch it to whatever you want.
>>>
>>> If you don't revert it, your account is basically now inactive.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
>>> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>>> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
>>> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

nospa...@newsguy.com

Jan 23, 2012, 6:05:32 AM1/23/12
This newsgroup only appears on news servers that do not honor the
Remove Group messages. Microsoft shut down the hosting servers a few
years ago.
Help, Support, and discussion for Windows Live programs and services
can be found at http://windowslivehelp.com
-steve

sundoe...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2008, 7:41:14 PM12/22/08
Anyone know how long their servers take to sort it out? It's been

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

sundoe...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2008, 7:52:19 AM12/23/08

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

sundoe...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2008, 6:54:24 PM12/23/08

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

max.ca...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2008, 10:59:44 AM12/25/08

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That won't work, you need to revert it.  It doesn't matter if the ISP exists or not as you
> don't actually have to verify your address.  You just need it be switched back, then you can
> proceed to switch it to whatever you want.
>
> If you don't revert it, your account is basically now inactive.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog:http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources:http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

sundoe...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2008, 7:56:18 PM12/25/08

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

max.ca...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2008, 7:17:55 AM12/26/08

wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Nah, you don't have to wait when switching it back, that part is instant (minus a sign
> out/sign in of course).  The actual real switch to the new address should be done signed off
> and then the 8 hour wait afterwards.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog:http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources:http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

max.ca...@gmail.com

max.ca...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2008, 9:11:31 PM12/27/08