MSN Connection Center and DSL / LAN Access

Dan Grissom@discussions.microsoft.com Terry Dan Grissom

Oct 29, 2007, 9:17:00 PM10/29/07
I have had an ongoing problem reinstalling MSN for weeks with a error code of
235 no matter what I do, MSN Support has not had an answer to my problem. It
seems that MSN Installer can not find the Internet, the MSN Connection Center
seems to only find the Internet via a Modem Connection and installs first,
rather a do loop. MSN needs to resolve my problem.

Terry Dan Grissom

Message has been deleted

Terry Dan Grissom

Nov 9, 2007, 8:36:01 AM11/9/07
Steve none of your questions are relevant. I have four computers on my DSL to
Wireles Connection the other three work fine. I can get this one to
re-install MSN as the MSN Software states that I do not have an Internet
Connection, error code 235, I have suffered with MSN Support for about a
montht now, to no avail. I ques until Microsoft gets around to a New release
of MSN I will continue to have this Problem on this Machine. Windows Live
does work as does lots of other Browsers and the New AOL on this machine.

"StephenB" wrote:

> Who is your Internet provider? Does the DSL connection require a sign-in to
> continue? Is the PC attached directly or are you connected through a modem?
> Can you access the Internet without any problems via IE before trying to install
> MSN Explorer? How are you installing? CD or download?
> Is you MSN subscription included with your DSL service for free? If so, the DSL
> provider should be supporting you.
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sbo...@mvps.org

Message has been deleted

Terry Dan Grissom

Nov 9, 2007, 10:34:00 PM11/9/07
Of the four computers this one is connected directly to the wireless server.
I have removed MSN several times from the Registry to reinstall, I have come
up on a limited boot with nothing running but minimal services, no fire wall.
MSN hangs with a error message of 235 every time. This has been going on for
more han a month now. Windows Live works fine as does AOL, Firefox, IE, etc.,
only MSN can not find the Internet, and I am of the opinion it is the
connection center doing that. MSN Support has not been much more help than to
get me to continually run AC, AutoCare, and the On-hold Music and constant
Microsoft Advertisements are God Awful.

"StephenB" wrote:

> Since you made no mention of other computers in your original post, my questions
> were relevant. There is something about the PC that is causing the MSN Installer
> to not detect the Internet connection at some point early in the installation
> despite that fact that it is active.
> I'm sorry that MSN Support has been unable to resolve the problem.
> The fact that other software detects and uses the active LAN connection is good
> information. Since you are connecting via a router, wirelessly, I would suggest
> several other possibilities.
> 1. Disable any 3rd party firewall on the PC
> 2. Connect the PC to the router with an ethernet cable rather than wirelessly
> for the installation process and switch back to wireless upon completion
> 3. Make sure that your IE settings are not configured to dial a connection if no
> network connection is detected and uncheck the setting to automatically detect
> settings under the LAN option in the IE connections tab.
> -steve

BeritB [MSFT]

Nov 29, 2007, 6:47:00 PM11/29/07
Hi Terry,

I have been discussing your connection problems with my main MSN support
contact, and we would like to get this issue identified and resolved. If you
would like to contact me at ber...@microsoft.com, we will gladly work on this
with you.

Take care,
Berit Benson
Community Leader - MSN Internet Access

Poindexter@discussions.microsoft.com W. Poindexter

Dec 14, 2007, 5:03:00 AM12/14/07
OMG! And I thought I was the only one with this problem. The key statement is
"reinstalling" MSN. I recently did a clean install of Vista 64 bit Ultimate.
I installed MSN with no problem. Last week I got error about bad a bad MSN
archive followed something about sunny.imc (never did find out what it was).
When I tried to re-install, I got the same problem Terry mentioned--the EXACT
same problem. However, this is not the first time. The first time was while
running Vista 32 Ultimate and again it was after I uninstalled MSN and tried
to reinstall. AND I spent literally hours (2.5 hours once) with MSN techs and
NEVER got it resolved. I went as fars to uninstall all of my antivirus
software while trouble shooting the 32-bit install (and the registry cleaning
and the deleting the folder and the creating new users...). Finally the guy
just gave up and said "we're going to elevate your problem" to our technical
staff. I now know that means, "we haven't a clue what's wrong and are about
to blow you off" since I never heard anything from the technical staff.

Tonight I decided to really do some searching to see if anyone else was
having the same problem and maybe found a solution. And that is how I came
across this discussion group.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I also went directly from cable modem to PC by
passing router...still no joy.

So far I've had no problem with MSN running on my wife and son's laptop and
PC--both running XP. I'm also running MSN on my laptop which is running Vista
64bit Ultimate--no issues (so far).

Willard Poindexter

Hudnall@discussions.microsoft.com Greg Hudnall

Dec 31, 2007, 2:27:01 PM12/31/07
This thread was useless to me from a solving technical issues standpoint. I
did feel better kinowing I wasn't alone with the #235 error.

Here's the fix:

Open Internet Explorer and go to tools -> internet options.
In the advanced tab, click on "reset" Internet Explorer settings.

Volia!?

Hope this works for more cases than just mine...

R@discussions.microsoft.com Barry R

Jan 2, 2008, 11:12:01 PM1/2/08

Barry R

Jan 2, 2008, 11:19:01 PM1/2/08
I have the exact same problem with my laptop connected to DSL modem or
wireless. I have a good connection with either method but the installer
claims connection is lost. "Restore Defaults" in Internet options did not
work for me for XP?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Charlie_usa

Feb 20, 2008, 10:50:03 AM2/20/08
"Terry Dan Grissom" wrote:

Create a NEW (tempory) user account in XP which will be created with all
default settings. Try connecting with MSN installer.

If YES
then go to and check all the settings of IE

1) IE Options>Security Tab a)Click "Reset all zones to default
level" and b)check that there are no sites listed in the Restricted Sites
List.

2) Privacy Tab>Sites Click ""remove all" button Also make
sure that you do not have some other 3rd party privacy software that is
running

3 Advanced Tab: Click "Restore advanced settings" button.

If NO

Reregister the msxml3.dll library. Start>Run type regsvr32
msxml3.dll

Hope this helps

Charllie_usa

backdr10

Apr 23, 2008, 12:33:13 PM4/23/08
msn totally sucks i have had the same problems with th connection center and
error codes -I have reinstalled msn software 7 times i get more support
from talking to my dog than the reps at msn especially the ones that cant
speak english going to cancel msn