Using MSMQ on Unix/Linux

esandal

Jan 4, 2005, 3:25:06 PM1/4/05
How Is it possible to communicate between a Windows app and a web site
running PHP on a Unix/Linux web server (e.g. Apache)?

MSMQ 3.0 only supports Win XP and 2K3, but does there exist any reliable
bridge to Unix/Linux? Does Microsoft plan to support other OSes in the future?

Thanks for any help on this!

Doron Juster [MSFT]

Jan 5, 2005, 12:32:13 AM1/5/05
The format of the msmq messages over http is documented in MSDN
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msmq/msmq_about_messages_2kab.asp?f
rame=true).
In theory you can parse these messages on the non-Windows web site. You can
also compose such messages on non-Windows platform and send them to msmq3.0
computers.

Thanks, Doron
.

"esandal" <esa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

esandal

Jan 5, 2005, 4:11:02 AM1/5/05
Thanks for your quick reply Doron!

Quote: "In theory you can parse these messages on the non-Windows web site."

How has this turned out in practice?

Do you basically have to write code on UNIX/Linux to simulate the processes
that MSMQ would have taken care of on a windows system?

Is this fairly untouched ground or are there solutions/examples/cases
available for this? Anyone that Microsoft has partnered with/certified?

Thanks!

"Doron Juster [MSFT]" wrote:

> The format of the msmq messages over http is documented in MSDN
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msmq/msmq_about_messages_2kab.asp?f
> rame=true).
> In theory you can parse these messages on the non-Windows web site. You can
> also compose such messages on non-Windows platform and send them to msmq3.0
> computers.
>
> Thanks, Doron
> --

> ..

Doron Juster [MSFT]

Jan 5, 2005, 11:30:45 AM1/5/05
I know that one user once did it. Other than that, I never heard any
questions about this. It's fair to say that this is an "untouched ground".

Yes, you do need to simulate a msmq queue manager on the unix side. You need
to return properly formatted order ack when you get a transaction message.
And similarly you should be ready to accept order acks.

Thanks, Doron
.