multimedia keys not working on microsoft wireless multimedia keybo

bleedxblue

Apr 23, 2008, 10:11:03 PM4/23/08
i have purchased a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and have just gotten
around to using it and the multimedia keys don't work. I have no idea on how
to fix them. I am including images and information on my keyboard, mouse and
a few other important details... any input would be greatly appreciated. If
you have anymore questions about my questions feel free to ask.

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/XxxXnicoleXxxX/random/DSC00698-1.jpg[/IMG]
^^^^microsoft wireless multimedia keyboard 1.1 (model: 1014)

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/XxxXnicoleXxxX/random/DSC00699-1.jpg[/IMG]
^^^^microsoft wireless optical mouse 2000

operating system/computer info(as seen in the general tab under the system
properties dialog box):
microsoft windows xp professional
version 2002
service pack 2
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 1.70GHz
1.70GHz, 256MB of RAM

thanks tons in advance
nicole

Cathy Moya [MSFT]

Apr 24, 2008, 1:24:01 PM4/24/08
OK - starting with the basics first - did you install the Intellitype Pro
software for the keyboard? I didn't see you mention a driver version in the
post (though sometimes I"m scanning very quickly and typing in meetings.)
--
Cathy Moya
Microsoft Hardware User Experience

bleedxblue

Apr 24, 2008, 8:06:00 PM4/24/08
the package that i purchased the keyboard and mouse did not come with any
software so i assumed that it would not need any. Also, i dont think my
keyboard and mouse are not Intellitype Pro.

Cathy Moya [MSFT]

Apr 25, 2008, 1:51:00 PM4/25/08
IntelliType Pro is the name for the driver. If your mouse and keyboard come
from an OEM (origanl equipment manufacturer) like the guy in the strip mall
shop that sells you a whole system, the drivers might be preinstalled. If you
buy the set off the shelf, sometimes the device comes with a CD and the basic
features will work without any installation or configuration, but the extra
keys might not work. Even for devices that don't ship with software, you
can't remap the button or key without loading the software.

I don't have an easy way to check on the set you bought, but installing the
driver shouldn't hurt anythign or make it worse, and it might help. It's also
easy to uninstall if you don't want it anymore.

This is where the driver download is.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx
After you install it, you end up with a keyboard control panel applet that
lets you look at how the keys are mapped.

It's worth a shot. Also, after you install the software, you get online help
that has a list of troubleshooting resources, and a list of customer support
contacts if the troubleshooting fails.