Re: Exchange 2007 Test-EdgeSynchronization

Anders Bengtsson [MVP]

Mar 7, 2008, 5:09:28 PM3/7/08
Hi .Jason.,

Use the Test-EdgeSynchronization cmdlet to diagnose whether the subscribed
Edge Transport servers have a current and accurate synchronization status.
If you dont have a edge server you might need to disable this check. But
hten you can simple enable it again if you install a Edge server in the future.

--
Anders Bengtsson
Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager

.> Test-EdgeSynchronization
.>

.Jason.

Mar 7, 2008, 5:33:04 PM3/7/08
I might need to disable this check? Is anyone running the Exchange 2007
Management Pack version 08.01.0021.001 without edge servers? If it comes to
it, I will disable the checks. I just know when we add one, no one will
remember to reenable the check. If i run the test myself, it returns
nothing. No subscriptions, but no errors either. Thanks for the reply.

"Anders Bengtsson [MVP]" wrote:

> ..> Test-EdgeSynchronization
> ..>

B-I-N-G-O

Mar 12, 2008, 1:37:00 PM3/12/08
Right! I'm getting the same thing. If I run the exact same command that
SCOM runs in PowerShell on the Exchange Server it runs fine.
Test-EdgeSynchronization -MonitoringContext:$true

...however, I get the exact same result as Jason does.

Here is my output from PowerShell:

[PS] U:\>Test-EdgeSynchronization -MonitoringContext:$true | fl

Events : {Source: MSExchange Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1020
Type: Success
Message: Accepted Domain objects are synchronized on the
following Edge Transport servers: ., Source:
MSExchange M
onitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1008
Type: Success
Message: Credential objects are synchronized on the
follo
wing Edge Transport servers: ., Source: MSExchange
Monito
ring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1018
Type: Success
Message: Message Classification objects are synchronized
on the following Edge Transport servers: ., Source:
MSExc
hange Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1016
Type: Success
Message: Recipient objects are synchronized on the
follow
ing Edge Transport servers: ., Source: MSExchange
Monitor
ing EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1012
Type: Success
Message: Send Connector objects are synchronized on
the f
ollowing Edge Transport servers: ., Source: MSExchange
Mo
nitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1010
Type: Success
Message: Transport Configuration objects are
synchronized
on the following Edge Transport servers: ., Source:
MSEx
change Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1014
Type: Success
Message: Transport Server objects are synchronized on
the
following Edge Transport servers: ., Source: MSExchange
Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1000
Type: Success
Message: EdgeSync objects are synchronized on the
followi
ng Edge Transport servers: .}
PerformanceCounters : {}

BogdanF

Mar 24, 2008, 9:07:01 PM3/24/08
I am using System Center Operations Manager 2007 with Service Pack 1,
Exchange Server 2007 with Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007.

This is what I get:
Date and Time: 3/24/2008 4:25:00 PM
Name The diagnostic cmdlet to detect the Edge Synchronization state failed
to execute.
Server Role Ex. Hub Transport
Server Role Instance cas01
Component EdgeSynchronization
Source MSExchange Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Description Failed to execute the diagnostic cmdlet to test the Edge
Synchronization state. The initial event reported: The diagnostic cmdlet
controller failed to execute the command 'Test-EdgeSynchronization
-ExcludeRecipientTest:$true -MonitoringContext:$true'. Error:
0x800A0005(-2146828283) - Invalid procedure call or argument The
MSExchangeMonitoring service do not support scripts and only a limited set of
Exchange cmdlets (test-*) and parameters. Response to rule:
"{F3221B71-DE75-4772-A564-43A6913210DC}" To see the current problem, look at
the events associated with this alert and find the most recent event.
Knowledge base article for this alert:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=67336&id=3D82B856-7032-47a4-B20A-C086A4FFD049

If I run Test-EdgeSynchronization with the same parameters manually on any
of the 2 CAS servers, everything works perfectly:
[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.domain>Test-EdgeSynchronization
-ExcludeRecipientTest:$true -MonitoringContext:$true

Name : edge01
LeaseHolder : CAS02
LeaseType : Option
ConnectionResult : Succeeded
FailureDetail :
LeaseExpiry : 3/24/2008 9:38:26 PM
LastSynchronized : 3/24/2008 8:38:26 PM
CredentialStatus : Synchronized
TransportServerStatus : Synchronized
TransportConfigStatus : Synchronized
AcceptedDomainStatus : Synchronized
SendConnectorStatus : Synchronized
MessageClassificationStatus : Synchronized
RecipientStatus : Skipped
CredentialRecords : Number of credentials 6

Name : edge02
LeaseHolder : CAS02
LeaseType : Option
ConnectionResult : Succeeded
FailureDetail :
LeaseExpiry : 3/24/2008 9:38:27 PM
LastSynchronized : 3/24/2008 8:38:27 PM
CredentialStatus : Synchronized
TransportServerStatus : Synchronized
TransportConfigStatus : Synchronized
AcceptedDomainStatus : Synchronized
SendConnectorStatus : Synchronized
MessageClassificationStatus : Synchronized
RecipientStatus : Skipped
CredentialRecords : Number of credentials 6

Events : {Source: MSExchange Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1020
Type: Success
Message: Accepted Domain objects are synchronized on

the following Edge Transport servers: edge01,edge02., Source: MSExchange
Monitoring EdgeSynchronization

Id: 1008
Type: Success
Message: Credential objects are synchronized on the

following Edge Transport servers: edge01,edge02., Source: MSExchange
Monitoring EdgeSynchronization

Id: 1018
Type: Success
Message: Message Classification objects are

synchronized on the following Edge Transport servers: edge01,edge02., Source:
MSExchange Monitoring EdgeSynchronization

Id: 1012
Type: Success
Message: Send Connector objects are synchronized on

the following Edge Transport servers: edge01,edge02., Source: MSExchange
Monitoring EdgeSynchronization

Id: 1010
Type: Success
Message: Transport Configuration objects are

synchronized on the following Edge Transport servers: edge01,edge02., Source:
MSExchange Monitoring EdgeSynchronization

Id: 1014
Type: Success
Message: Transport Server objects are synchronized on

the following Edge Transport servers: edge01,pedge02., Source: MSExchange

Monitoring EdgeSynchronization
Id: 1000
Type: Success
Message: EdgeSync objects are synchronized on the

following Edge Transport servers: edge01,edge02.}
PerformanceCounters : {}

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.domain>

As you can see, there are 2 servers with the CAS and HUB transport role
(cas01 and cas02) and 2 with the EDGE transport role (edge01 and edge02).

Any ideas?

B-I-N-G-O

Mar 26, 2008, 5:11:01 PM3/26/08
I installed SP1 for SCOM 2007 and I still recieve the same result.

What am I missing here? Does this Monitor need to use another action
account other than system? I think it is strange that SCOM says: Invalid

procedure call or argument The MSExchangeMonitoring service do not support
scripts and only a limited set of Exchange cmdlets (test-*) and parameters.

Is the syntax wrong in the monitor?