fatal error A1016: Internal Assembler Error

psp

Jul 30, 2007, 3:17:38 PM7/30/07
I'm getting the A1016 error, I've searched online but none of the
solutions suggested apply in my case.
I was able to compile the same .asm's on a regular basis. My trouble
started when yesterday I tried to do a clean build of my project. I
even tried getting clean copies of everything (.asm, .dsp etc) from
CVS.
I even tried uninstalling a couple of softwares (debugging tools for
windows) that I installed couple of days back. I checked the modified
dates on all the files in VC and they seem to be ok, i.e. they don't
seem to be corrupted.

It seems ML is having trouble whenever it sees a macro in the .asm
files.

Following is the message generated by VC++ 6.0:

Performing Custom Build Step on .\cpuid.asm
Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.15.8803
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-2000. All rights reserved.
Assembling: .\cpuid.asm
.\cpuid.asm(101) : fatal error A1016: Internal Assembler Error
CPU_ID(1): Macro Called From
.\cpuid.asm(101): Main Line Code
Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

Thanks,

Tim Roberts

Aug 1, 2007, 12:18:36 AM8/1/07
psp <pradhan...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm getting the A1016 error, I've searched online but none of the
>solutions suggested apply in my case.

>It seems ML is having trouble whenever it sees a macro in the .asm
>files.
>
>Following is the message generated by VC++ 6.0:
>
>Performing Custom Build Step on .\cpuid.asm
>Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.15.8803
>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-2000. All rights reserved.
> Assembling: .\cpuid.asm
>.\cpuid.asm(101) : fatal error A1016: Internal Assembler Error
> CPU_ID(1): Macro Called From
> .\cpuid.asm(101): Main Line Code

All you can do is rearrange things to try to satisfy the gods, so to speak.

You are using a relatively antique version of MASM. If you send me the
source, I'll see if it builds in 7.0 or 8.0.
--
Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

paul

Aug 1, 2007, 2:11:25 PM8/1/07
On Jul 31, 9:18 pm, Tim Roberts <t...@probo.com> wrote:
> Tim Roberts, t...@probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.- Hide quoted text -

The source code or MASM version shouldn't be a problem. We're using VC+
+ 6.0 SP5 and we have to stick with all the compiler versions. Besides
other people in my company are able to build the same source code.
I always have regedit open and keep inspecting the entries in it
regularly.
Is it possible I corrupted the registry entry for VC++? Other C/C++
code compiles fine.

john klosak

Aug 1, 2007, 6:31:29 PM8/1/07
Hello, Tim!
You wrote on Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:18:36 -0700:

TR> psp <pradhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
??>>
??>> I'm getting the A1016 error, I've searched online but none of the
??>> solutions suggested apply in my case.
??>> ...
??>> It seems ML is having trouble whenever it sees a macro in the .asm
??>> files.
??>>
??>> Following is the message generated by VC++ 6.0:
??>>
??>> Performing Custom Build Step on .\cpuid.asm
??>> Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.15.8803
??>> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-2000. All rights reserved.
??>> Assembling: .\cpuid.asm
??>> .\cpuid.asm(101) : fatal error A1016: Internal Assembler Error
??>> CPU_ID(1): Macro Called From
??>> .\cpuid.asm(101): Main Line Code

TR> All you can do is rearrange things to try to satisfy the gods, so to
TR> speak.

TR> You are using a relatively antique version of MASM. If you send me the
TR> source, I'll see if it builds in 7.0 or 8.0.

i was curious and access your web log and laughed out load at the bush -
brazilian quip.
very nice and thanks for all your help in this group when it was more active

With best regards, john klosak. E-mail: jklo...@mchsi.com

paul

Aug 2, 2007, 10:23:53 PM8/2/07
I think some dll used by ML.exe got corrupted when I installed some
software over the weekend. It wouldn't even let me reinstall VC++, I
had to reinstall Win XP and then install VC++.
Then it worked fine.